SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Great news on MacWilliam returning. He is such a solid defensive dman, he will be a rock on the blueline next season as a senior.

Kind of disappointed that Nelson signed. I always just assumed Kristo would leave and Nelson would stay for one more year. Nelson never really took over a game like Kristo did...he was always in the right spot for those goals around the crease though. Nelson made such huge strides from his freshman to soph year once he added some bulk/muscle, I would only assume that next year he could have really done well at UND. But I don't think he's quite strong enough yet to hang in the NHL, so would guess he'll spend all of next season in the AHL. Hopefully he doesn't end up regretting it like Gregoire and Hextall and wish he stayed another season. Best of luck, Brock.

@UNDSID just tweeted "May have news on at least 1-2 more players as early as today. Stay tuned."

hopefully it is dell, kristo and(or) forbort saying they are returning as sioux fans feel bad enough not being at the frozen four and don't need to be kicked in the gut anymore this week.

Great news on MacWilliam returning. He is such a solid defensive dman, he will be a rock on the blueline next season as a senior.

Kind of disappointed that Nelson signed. I always just assumed Kristo would leave and Nelson would stay for one more year. Nelson never really took over a game like Kristo did...he was always in the right spot for those goals around the crease though. Nelson made such huge strides from his freshman to soph year once he added some bulk/muscle, I would only assume that next year he could have really done well at UND. But I don't think he's quite strong enough yet to hang in the NHL, so would guess he'll spend all of next season in the AHL. Hopefully he doesn't end up regretting it like Gregoire and Hextall and wish he stayed another season. Best of luck, Brock.

Agreed I really thought Brock would be back and thought he benefited a lot from playing with Kristo and even though he had 28 goals I was suprised he left. I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but he had what 5 or 6 empty net goals and a lot of times he was setup for easier goals. Really very suprised about Nelson leaving and wish he would have stayed another year. I hope he has success and doesn't end up in the minors all year next year and come back to regret his decison like guys have in the past, but I kinda think that might be the situation. The only thing I can really think of with Nelson as he may feel this was gonna be his best year stat wise and didn't think he would be able to put up those kind of numbers again. I really hope it didn't have a whole lot to do with Garth Snow not thinking college hockey developed players very well. I think he will definitely have to get stronger to get to the NHL and really think it was a bad decison for him to leave, but definitely wish him the best of luck!

Rowney will be very good next season. He came out of nowhere in the 2nd half this year and really added some much-needed depth for the 2nd half run.

I wonder if Hakstol and Co. gave a timeframe for when he hoped players would make decisions by? Kind of weird to hear nothing for a couple weeks and now 3 decisions already today with Nelson, Rowney, and MacWilliam.

Rowney will be very good next season. He came out of nowhere in the 2nd half this year and really added some much-needed depth for the 2nd half run.

I wonder if Hakstol and Co. gave a timeframe for when he hoped players would make decisions by? Kind of weird to hear nothing for a couple weeks and now 3 decisions already today with Nelson, Rowney, and MacWilliam.

I thought I heard they take 2 weeks off, then return for offseason training.

we go from the prospects of being a team loaded to one that is yet another one line team with little or no scoring depth beyond the first line, assuming kristo is gone as well.

With all the graduated players and defections from last year, we still were not a one-line team. Do you not think that the freshman could get better like Brock Nelson did? I expect Grimaldi and O'Donnell to being major contributors next year, so you would have the potential for the second line to remain good or improve a lot with all of the freshmen making a step forward. It kind of surprises me how after the Sioux got as far as they did this year, that people still get excited about one or two defections. If we don't have the injury bug again next year, that is already a step forward. Heck, all of the teams in the upper half of the WCHA are probably going to have defections of high-end talent as well, only they don't have the preseason rookie of the year coming back along with a rookie in O'Donnell who was scoring goals when he was in the lineup.

Goalies (3): Maris (Sr), Saunders (Jr), Gothberg (Fr)

Forwards (15): Rowney (Sr), Kristo (Sr), Knight (Sr), Rodwell (Jr), Mitch MacMillan (Jr), Dickin (Jr), Gaarder (So), Grimaldi (So), Mark MacMillan (So), O'Donnell (So), Parks (So), Pattyn (So), St. Clair (Fr), Chyzyk (Fr), Koules (Fr)

Defense (8): MacWilliam (Sr), Gleason (Sr), Simpson (Jr), Forbort (Jr), Mattson (So), Panzarella (So), Senkbeil (So), Schmaltz (Fr)

Potential Early Departures (2): Kristo (80/20), Forbort (20/80)

Potential Arrivals (1): Jones

My early lines assuming no more departures:

Parks-Knight-Kristo

MacMillan-Grimaldi-O'Donnell

Chyzyk-Rowney-Rodwell

Pattyn-Koules-St. Clair

Extras: Mitch MacMillan, Dickin, Gaarder

Forbort-Schmaltz

MacWilliam-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Extras: Panzarella, Senkbeil

Saunders

Gothberg

Maris

Forwards (15): Rowney (Sr), Kristo (Sr), Knight (Sr), Rodwell (Jr), Mitch MacMillan (Jr), Dickin (Jr), Gaarder (So), Grimaldi (So), Mark MacMillan (So), O'Donnell (So), Parks (So), Pattyn (So), St. Clair (Fr), Chyzyk (Fr), Koules (Fr)

Defense (8): MacWilliam (Sr), Gleason (Sr), Simpson (Jr), Forbort (Jr), Mattson (So), Panzarella (So), Senkbeil (So), Schmaltz (Fr)

Parks-Knight-Kristo

Chyzyk-Rowney-Rodwell

Pattyn-Koules-St. Clair

Forbort-Schmaltz

MacWilliam-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Saunders

Gothberg

Maris

Makes sense, but I hate to see Gaarder off the ice. Really like his play

Parks-Knight-Kristo

Chyzyk-Rowney-Rodwell

Pattyn-Koules-St. Clair

Forbort-Schmaltz

MacWilliam-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Saunders

Gothberg

Maris

If that's really our lineup next season - no more departures - next year's Sioux could be a lot better than this year's Sioux. Much more high end talent, much greater upside.

In goal: The biggest question mark. Even there though, a proven veteran from UAH, an elite talent (Gothberg), and a guy the team can rally around (Maris). With the strength on defense, we need a guy who can make the first stop and put the rebound in the right places. I think we have that.

On D: the strength of the team, once again. 5 returnees from this season, an elite recruit, and the chance to put some defensemen back at forward.

At Forward: With Knight at center, we will once again start shifts with the puck 60-65% of the time. Better speed upfront, with Kristo one of the most explosive skaters - first two strides - I've ever seen at UND.

Overall, more talent than 2011-2012, but do the newcomers have as much heart as the departures? Time will tell.

Parks-Knight-Kristo

Chyzyk-Rowney-Rodwell

Pattyn-Koules-St. Clair

Forbort-Schmaltz

MacWilliam-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Saunders

Gothberg

Maris

Schlossman tweeted a few days ago that the coaches really liked the way Senkbeil played at forward and would probably keep him there. Also does anyone know if DiPuma went to school and is still with the team?

Schlossman tweeted a few days ago that the coaches really liked the way Senkbeil played at forward and would probably keep him there. Also does anyone know if DiPuma went to school and is still with the team?

DiPuma is taking classes but not sure on his status with the team.

updated possible combos

Saunders

Gothberg

Maris

Forbort Matson

MacWilliam Schmaltz

Simpson Gleason

(could be a huge, but talented, mess if Jones comes)

Parks Knight Kristo

Rowney Grimaldi ODonnell

McMillan McMillan Koules

Pattyn Chyzk St. Clair

obviously before mitch is able to play it will look different

Parks Knight Kristo

Rowney Grimaldi ODonnell

St. Clair/Chyzk McMillan Koules

Pattyn St. Clair/Chyzk Senkbeil/Gaarder

updated possible combos

Saunders

Gothberg

Maris

Forbort Matson

MacWilliam Schmaltz

Simpson Gleason

(could be a huge, but talented, mess if Jones comes)

Parks Knight Kristo

Rowney Grimaldi ODonnell

McMillan McMillan Koules

Pattyn Chyzk St. Clair

obviously before mitch is able to play it will look different

Parks Knight Kristo

Rowney Grimaldi ODonnell

St. Clair/Chyzk McMillan Koules

Pattyn St. Clair/Chyzk Senkbeil/Gaarder

You missed Rodwell. I would think that if he's healed up that he'd get penciled back into his spot in the line up.