SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Thats because the U makes bids and the area is a hotbed for college hockey. Does not mean in any way that the NCAA favors the U.

I'm sure they favor you over us.

We're their little hostile and abusive problem child.

btw, thank you for your service as our liaison to the Gopher nation. I don't know what we would do without your occasional input around here. I wonder if Gopher fans are lucky enough to have Sioux fans hanging around in their forums, and chiming in with "corrections" and whatnot. I bet they would appreciate that.

Thats because the U makes bids and the area is a hotbed for college hockey. Does not mean in any way that the NCAA favors the U.

Hate to agree with a Gopher fan, but this is the truth. It'd be hard for the NCAA to turn down the opportunity. And UM would be silly not to put in a bid since they almost surely make money on the event every time. Probably can't say that about most regionals.

Hate to agree with a Gopher fan, but this is the truth. It'd be hard for the NCAA to turn down the opportunity. And UM would be silly not to put in a bid since they almost surely make money on the event every time. Probably can't say that about most regionals.

yeah just take a look at where the midwest and west regionals are next year(grand rapids and toledo), I would take a regional every at the X over those.

I am going to agree with Mariucci on this also. Minneapolis happens to sit right in the middle of a college hockey hot bed and has the facilities to host a tourney. Look at the amount of fans this year in St. Paul compared to the other regions.

I am going to agree with Mariucci on this also. Minneapolis happens to sit right in the middle of a college hockey hot bed and has the facilities to host a tourney. Look at the amount of fans this year in St. Paul compared to the other regions.

Relatively speaking, the attendance was good. But I still think the attendance was surprisingly low. Attandance was actually higher for the regional title game in Denver between the same teams in 2007. Still scratching my head about that.

Relatively speaking, the attendance was good. But I still think the attendance was surprisingly low. Attandance was actually higher for the regional title game in Denver between the same teams in 2007. Still scratching my head about that.

The ticket prices were ridiculous, it kept a lot of fans away.

Is there a reason SCSU or Bemidji or Mankato can't host at the Xcel? Why is Minnesota always the host in St. Paul?

Because they put in the bid. I'm sure that being the closest school to the venue doesn't hurt. And they have a history of putting on successful tournaments.

I believe they won't put regionals on campus anymore.

You're right. Also, per NC$$ sanctions, UND currently isn't eligible to host regionals anywhere (if they wanted to host one at the X or Scheels arena or something crazy).

When did that change? That would be too bad if that is the case.

It changed a few years ago, not sure of the exact date. I've always had a feeling it had something to do with how the goofers were treated at the Ralph after the Holy Cross upset. They probably cried to the NCAA that the Ralph played music to loudly. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1_x1oo35L0

This paragraph from the 2013 site announcement explains the NCAA policy.

“The committee has placed an emphasis in the regional rounds on neutral-site buildings with NHL-size ice surfaces,” said Sean Frazier, chair of the NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Committee and associate athletic director at Wisconsin. “All of these facilities meet those standards, and we feel the arenas and hosts will be able to provide a tremendous championship opportunity for the student-athletes.”

“The committee has placed an emphasis in the regional rounds on neutral-site buildings with NHL-size ice surfaces,” said Sean Frazier, chair of the NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Committee and associate athletic director at Wisconsin. “All of these facilities meet those standards, and we feel the arenas and hosts will be able to provide a tremendous championship opportunity for the student-athletes.”

All the NCAA would have to do is look at the attendance of "neutral-site" regionals outside of MSP to see that this policy is not very good for the fans and there isn't much tremendous happening (off the ice at least). However, I suppose it is more fair to play in front of an empty building than it is to play in front of a partisan crowd....

• Upvote 1

All the NCAA would have to do is look at the attendance of "neutral-site" regionals outside of MSP to see that this policy is not very good for the fans and there isn't much tremendous happening (off the ice at least). However, I suppose it is more fair to play in front of an empty building than it is to play in front of a partisan crowd....

They have started discussions on that very topic because of attendance issues at many regionals. One of the solutions that has been thrown out is to make the first round a best 2 out of 3 held at the home of the higher seed. That is why I have mentioned the fact that if UND is on NCAA sanctions the hockey team wouldn't be able to host playoff games if they change the format. I have no idea how likely it is that they would change the format. Having a neutral site is the other side of the coin. They will have to decide which is more important. But as we have seen in St. Paul with Minnesota and when Wisconsin is hosting a tournament in Wisconsin, a neutral site isn't always neutral.

this is the wrong thread for this question but does anyone think the gophers are going to take the shepherds with them when they move to the big 10 conference?:) I know I probably should've asked that lol

don't think so...only the wcha operates with a conflict of interest so openly.

this is the wrong thread for this question but does anyone think the gophers are going to take the shepherds with them when they move to the big 10 conference? :) I know I probably should've asked that lol

I hope they retire for the good of college hockey...