SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

or didn't care. I fear a lot of apathy still exists for FB after the transition years.

hey now I've been putting alot into the hype for this season and have gone to alot of practices and given alot of insight. Don't care is how I feel about the women's tennis team. I'll be at every game this year and have never been apathetic towards the football program. That said the bandwagon fans need something to jump on to.

hey now I've been putting alot into the hype for this season and have gone to alot of practices and given alot of insight. Don't care is how I feel about the women's tennis team. I'll be at every game this year and have never been apathetic towards the football program. That said the bandwagon fans need something to jump on to.

You're not the problem. It's the rest of the community. They'll support a winner, I guess. So the boys gotta get out there and produce and the people will come. Totally agree on the bandwagoners -- and the students.

Did they even advertise for that? I don't remember hearing anything about it/

I found out about it on Tuesday, posted on here Tuesday afternoon. I have heard radio ads for it the last few days. The Midco Sports Channel staff located in Grand Forks has just started working the last couple of weeks, so this might have been a last minute addition to the schedule.

UND needs to hang those cheap banners over U ave in front of the Memorial Advertising the home football game that week. UND needs every resident manager to hand out tickets to every dorm room with a promotional flyer.

We love winners but we also love exciting atmosphere and the students make it one. I really wish the Alerus would turn one of the ballrooms into a kickass club lounge. Students and fans would eat that up.

• Upvote 2

Maybe the question should be what are we doing as super-fans to help get new fans in the stands at football? I doubt that some big media campaign costing thousands of dollars actually turns a whole bunch of people into UND Football fans. I'm not a big women's bkball fan and doubt any huge marketing campaign would convince me otherwise. But, if someone dragged me out to a game, and I had a decent time, I might consider going again (maybe, it is women's basketball after all - just sayin').

I've got to think that we can do much more as fans to go out and get new people to the game. Use tailgating as a way to get new people out there. I mean, who doesn't enjoyed grilled meats and a cold one on a saturday afternoon? Even the new field or a new quarterback (or new jerseys?) might convince them. This is the best year to do it too...at least until NDSU signs the contract.

Trying to do my part by inviting new people to football - or ones who haven't been in years. My hope is all of you are too, and not just relying on some big mythical marketing campaign that - when you run the numbers of cost vs. benefit - makes little sense.

Now students, that's a whole other issue...sometimes free everything isn't the answer, but that's for another day.

• Upvote 1

Maybe the question should be what are we doing as super-fans to help get new fans in the stands at football? I doubt that some big media campaign costing thousands of dollars actually turns a whole bunch of people into UND Football fans. I'm not a big women's bkball fan and doubt any huge marketing campaign would convince me otherwise. But, if someone dragged me out to a game, and I had a decent time, I might consider going again (maybe, it is women's basketball after all - just sayin').

I've got to think that we can do much more as fans to go out and get new people to the game. Use tailgating as a way to get new people out there. I mean, who doesn't enjoyed grilled meats and a cold one on a saturday afternoon? Even the new field or a new quarterback (or new jerseys?) might convince them. This is the best year to do it too...at least until NDSU signs the contract.

Trying to do my part by inviting new people to football - or ones who haven't been in years. My hope is all of you are too, and not just relying on some big mythical marketing campaign that - when you run the numbers of cost vs. benefit - makes little sense.

Now students, that's a whole other issue...sometimes free everything isn't the answer, but that's for another day.

Good post - welcome to the Board!

+1

Honestly, what I'm seeing from their advertising now is a radio and tv campaign-(the traditional media) I've caught ads on both- multiple times on multiple stations. Many times I've seen them or heard them at home in the eastern part of ND, and some while I've been working out west. These are very traditional and should reach the 40 plus age group of people. I see UND Athletics trying to utilize the social mediums such as facebook & twitter as it seems to be what a great many people 16-35 have gone to when it comes to responding to marketing. I'm not a big user of Facebook & Twitter, but again I'm long gone out of that age group- but I can tell you we are certainly more than aware of those platforms when it comes to considering advertising for my business. You have to be in today's world.

As a former student, I believe much more on-campus advertising is necessary for football. My freshmen year I didn't even know about the games until the day of the game on most occassions. Simple flyers/posters in the dorms and Gamble Hall would reach a lot of people.

As a former student, I believe much more on-campus advertising is necessary for football. My freshmen year I didn't even know about the games until the day of the game on most occassions. Simple flyers/posters in the dorms and Gamble Hall would reach a lot of people.

I think that is a cop out. As a UND student do you really not know that UND has a football team? Of course they do. Students know when the games are, they know where they are at. Recently they have just been lazy. Not sure if that s because they are too hung over from Friday night to make it to a 1 pm game or waht. I realize that we have had a lack luster team recently, but going to football games is part of college life. No excuse for students not to go to these games. Especially when it is free to go and they give away free food at tailgating!! Hopefully these later starts will help get the word out the day of the game. But the students really need to step up their support. Its been embarrassing!

I think that is a cop out. As a UND student do you really not know that UND has a football team? Of course they do. Students know when the games are, they know where they are at. Recently they have just been lazy. Not sure if that s because they are too hung over from Friday night to make it to a 1 pm game or waht. I realize that we have had a lack luster team recently, but going to football games is part of college life. No excuse for students not to go to these games. Especially when it is free to go and they give away free food at tailgating!! Hopefully these later starts will help get the word out the day of the game. But the students really need to step up their support. Its been embarrassing!

The students (majority) care about hockey. Football, for most, is an afterthought. They aren't going to put forth the effort to search for schedules so it needs to be laid out in front of them. Fifty 10 cent flyers on the bulletin boards really isn't too much trouble and it would increase attendance from the non-diehard fan who just doesn't have anything better to do that day.

The RAs need to be involved and somehow motivated to get their entire floors to the games. At this point RAs have some pull/authority with their freshmen and that resource needs to be utilized.

Are there student buses that bring dorm students to Alerus?

Yes, the busses leave from Wilkerson; a place where every freshman is at every day.

I agree about your thoughts on the RA's as they should almost get some sort of a spiff for getting x amount of their floor to the game. The spiff could be free food at a restaurant or something of that nature. I would say cash but that has to be against some sort of rule.

Anyone have any ideas how the crowd will turn out for the SDSoM's game? I can see a good crowd (8-9k) since there is nothing to do on a Thursday night but at the same time I can't see a lot of people (like 10k+) since its a meaningless game (or as I call it..preseason). Hopefully UND can work out the kinks and pefect their passing game and light up the scoreboard.

Anyone have any ideas how the crowd will turn out for the SDSoM's game? I can see a good crowd (8-9k) since there is nothing to do on a Thursday night but at the same time I can't see a lot of people (like 10k+) since its a meaningless game (or as I call it..preseason). Hopefully UND can work out the kinks and pefect their passing game and light up the scoreboard.

Attendance at the Thursday opener last year was 8,484. I woul expect to see a small bump, but probably not much more than 9,000 at most due to it being a Thursday game and the opponent.

Just noticed something interesting...The Potato Bowl game in 1981 was won by UND 17-10 against Portland State. UND's opponent on September 8th in the Potato Bowl...Portland State. Lets have a repeat of what we did to them 31 years ago!!