SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

I don't know if this would make anyone feel better about student attendence, but I went down to the ticket office in the union and asked how ticket sales were going. She said with a smile "pretty good". I couldn't really ask any specifics on how good cause I had a time crunch. Hopefully she isn't BSing me, cause I take that as a really good sign being that the tickets only went on sale on Wednesday and only really have been on sale for 2 days

I don't know if this would make anyone feel better about student attendence, but I went down to the ticket office in the union and asked how ticket sales were going. She said with a smile "pretty good". I couldn't really ask any specifics on how good cause I had a time crunch. Hopefully she isn't BSing me, cause I take that as a really good sign being that the tickets only went on sale on Wednesday and only really have been on sale for 2 days

I just gone mine in the mail today....UND vs PSU and UND vs Montana. Damn I am excited for Sept 8 and Oct 20th to get here!!!!

Aren't student tickets free??

So free tickets, free shuttle to the game, free food at tailgating....sound like there should be no excuse for students not to be there :)

And for some of us free parking passes are given out with the tickets as well. Need to pick one of thoes up next week when they are in.

You forgot about the good game part. Not a lot of that last year with how the passing game went. This year will be the real deal though

Looking forward to it, I have been looking forward to this season for 3 years. The first chance to compete for the whole ball of wax

• Upvote 1

So free tickets, free shuttle to the game, free food at tailgating....sound like there should be no excuse for students not to be there :)

Compared to what I had to do to go to the game....get approval to take the time off of work, spend money for tickets, gas up the SUV, drive 70 miles to GF from Fargo, pay for parking, and then enjoy the tailgating and the game. Yep those students don't know how good they have it. Of course as a kid I used to ride my bike (or walk 14 blocks) to Memorial Stadium watch the game through the north gate then at halftime walk into the stadium for free. Ahh the 80's (and early 90's).

It's been mentioned before, but I really believe that the management and Barney Fife type of attitude from security makes the student section much less enjoyable than it could be and was a big part of driving the students away when the games weren't the best. I am not in any way in favor of drunk and obnoxious, but the constant pacing up and down around the student section looking for such serious infractions as having a foot on the seat in front of you has help to ruin the student crowd. Watch the next game and you will see 5 or more security types standing right above the students ever scanning to look for any fun breaking out. I have heard complaints from many students over the past few years. We need the students to be fired up. The Alerus and its staff aren't always a friend of Sioux football.

• Upvote 4

It's been mentioned before, but I really believe that the management and Barney Fife type of attitude from security makes the student section much less enjoyable than it could be and was a big part of driving the students away when the games weren't the best. I am not in any way in favor of drunk and obnoxious, but the constant pacing up and down around the student section looking for such serious infractions as having a foot on the seat in front of you has help to ruin the student crowd. Watch the next game and you will see 5 or more security types standing right above the students ever scanning to look for any fun breaking out. I have heard complaints from many students over the past few years. We need the students to be fired up. The Alerus and its staff aren't always a friend of Sioux football.

I totally agree with you that the Alerus staff can get carried away with their enforcement of their rules. But here's an easy fix. If you can't drink a beer in the student section, don't bring one in there. If they get anal about you putting your feat on the seats, don't put your feat on the seats. If they don't want you hanging on the railing, running up the steps, or throwing things on the field...Don't do it!!! While I do realize that they have rules, that doesn't mean that you can't still have fun at the games and cheer on the team. There are event staff at every arena in the country and they all probably have similar rules to the Alerus. They have similar rules at the Engelstad and I yet students still go to hockey games? Heck, you can even stand the whole game at the Alerus!! My advice, don't let the Alerus staff be the reason you don't go to the game. There is so much more positive from going to a football game that it greatly outweighs the negative caused by the staff that work there.

• Upvote 1

I totally agree with you that the Alerus staff can get carried away with their enforcement of their rules. But here's an easy fix. If you can't drink a beer in the student section, don't bring one in there. If they get anal about you putting your feat on the seats, don't put your feat on the seats. If they don't want you hanging on the railing, running up the steps, or throwing things on the field...Don't do it!!! While I do realize that they have rules, that doesn't mean that you can't still have fun at the games and cheer on the team. There are event staff at every arena in the country and they all probably have similar rules to the Alerus. They have similar rules at the Engelstad and I yet students still go to hockey games? Heck, you can even stand the whole game at the Alerus!! My advice, don't let the Alerus staff be the reason you don't go to the game. There is so much more positive from going to a football game that it greatly outweighs the negative caused by the staff that work there.

Well said!!

While what you say is generally true, I feel that the Alerus staff is way more over-zealous than the Ralph and games at the Alerus have been much worse. We need the students to feel welcome.

While what you say is generally true, I feel that the Alerus staff is way more over-zealous than the Ralph and games at the Alerus have been much worse. We need the students to feel welcome.

But we also need the students (and the rest of the crowd) to make it enjoyable for everyone else. It only takes one bad student to give the student section a bad name.

I sit in Section 216, which used to be right next to the students. I didn't see a big problem with the Alerus staff. Once in a while they may have stepped in a little earlier than I would have. But overall they let the students have fun. And they only removed students out of 215 on rare occasions. As was noted above, public places have rules in place. Students have to learn how to live within those rules. As long as they aren't treated worse than the average fan then they don't have a lot to complain about.

I sit in Section 216, which used to be right next to the students. I didn't see a big problem with the Alerus staff. Once in a while they may have stepped in a little earlier than I would have. But overall they let the students have fun. And they only removed students out of 215 on rare occasions. As was noted above, public places have rules in place. Students have to learn how to live within those rules. As long as they aren't treated worse than the average fan then they don't have a lot to complain about.

The average fan likely doesn't have a security guard constantly watching them. If it is anything similar to the new Ralph when it first opened, then I understand the hesitancy of the students. In hockey it took years to adjust to it and now it's not so bad. The Alerus policies weren't so strict in 2000-2005 but it may take a while for the adjustment. Quality opponents should help as well.

The average fan likely doesn't have a security guard constantly watching them. If it is anything similar to the new Ralph when it first opened, then I understand the hesitancy of the students. In hockey it took years to adjust to it and now it's not so bad. The Alerus policies weren't so strict in 2000-2005 but it may take a while for the adjustment. Quality opponents should help as well.

There are security people watching every section. There are probably more watching the student section. But over time they have proven they need more people watching them than the 80 year old alums that are donating $10,000 per year to the Alumni Association. There are plenty of other people that have gotten out of line. But the percentage of students who get out of line is higher than the percentage of older fans. It has always been that way and always will. Venues like the Alerus Center know that and react accordingly.

I have been in the same seats since the building opened. I don't think the students behavior has gotten any worse (especially since attendance has been down for most games), and I don't think the Alerus Center staff has gotten any worse. The biggest change I've seen is having security go down to the railings at the end of the game so people don't climb over onto the field. But they don't interfere with the players high-fiving the fans along the railing.

isn't that the media's job to at least ask the questions?...but at least an interview and when the $ migh be donated, how much $ might be donated, and other stuff could be asked? too bad wayne nelson is too busy tweeting about race cars and such to find out?

its just that there is so much speculation about the ipf that it would be nice if the herald sat down with faison or muss and just ask a few questions to see how close it is to being a reality and so forth instead of people on here and sab saying they know someone that knows someone that saw a a construction worker near the old engelstad digging a hole?

isn't that the media's job to at least ask the questions?...but at least an interview and when the $ migh be donated, how much $ might be donated, and other stuff could be asked? too bad wayne nelson is too busy tweeting about race cars and such to find out?

How do you know they haven't? Say they asked the questions and nobody would talk. That would be a pretty great four word article... "Sources declined to answer."

• Upvote 2