SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

QB

Returnees are Bradley and Comes. Incoming freshman is Mollberg. Possible early defection is Hendrickson. Seems likely at least one more newcomer will be added--probably a transfer. This position is the biggest question mark heading into 2012 IMO.

RB

Top three backs return in Miller, Sutton and Garman. Newcomer will be Sparks, and perhaps Butler if he is recovered from his injury. Shaugabay possibly moves to FB? Magstadt should be primary candidate to replace Solum at FB.

WR

Hardin, McGill, Townsend and Ivery lead a nice returning corps of receivers. If somebody can be found to get them the ball, this will be one of the better groups UND has had.

TE

Wisthoff and Nichols both return. Wisthoff being the primary blocker and Nichols being the bigger receiving threat.

OL

McGurran, Lynch, Kleason, Deneui and Gillson return with varying degrees of starting experience, and Walker played a lot this season also. Will be interesting to see who may challenge for playing time from the current group of red-shirts.

DL

Benjamin, Brenneman and Nelson return as staters, and Cummings and Henson also played a lot. This group should be one of the strengths of the team.

OLB

Andrews will be a returning starter, backed up by Finley. Bennett should start on the other side. Jablonski also received considerable playing time this season.

ILB

Both starters graduate, but Goodman and Otto should step in. Peters should be one backup.

CB

Brown will be a returning starter, and presumably Mackey and Hall will contend for the other starting position, with a number of red-shirts looking to challenge.

S

Three seniors graduate, with only Mersereau and Carr returning with any experience. Again, several red-shirts could contend for time.

After QB, the secondary appears to be the biggest question mark heading into 2012.

K/P

Miller and Cameron both return.

QB

Returnees are Bradley and Comes. Incoming freshman is Mollberg. Possible early defection is Hendrickson. Seems likely at least one more newcomer will be added--probably a transfer. This position is the biggest question mark heading into 2012 IMO.

You get an answer here and UND has a decent shot to have a really solid 1st year in the Big Sky. If no answer found...ouch.

Any idea which freshman redshirts might contribute next season?

I see Jameer Jackson fitting in nicely with the WRs. He's a bigger more physical player that almost had his redshirt pulled this year. I'm also interested to see how the redshirt OLine and the DBs contribute. Our o-line will be very good next year but from what I've been told we had one of our better recruiting classes in a long time there. Also, some very athletic kids redshirted in the secondary, a few of them almost getting thier shirts pulled. Hoping for a good winter workout and spring ball for some of these kids cause that was a question mark this year and will be a very large one next season.

I see Jameer Jackson fitting in nicely with the WRs. He's a bigger more physical player that almost had his redshirt pulled this year. I'm also interested to see how the redshirt OLine and the DBs contribute. Our o-line will be very good next year but from what I've been told we had one of our better recruiting classes in a long time there. Also, some very athletic kids redshirted in the secondary, a few of them almost getting thier shirts pulled. Hoping for a good winter workout and spring ball for some of these kids cause that was a question mark this year and will be a very large one next season.

I understand that Casey Young may also contribute at WR. It appears that position may be a strength over the next couple of years!

You guys are both correct and I apologize. I forgot about Casey. Both are taller WRs who will fit in nicely with what we have returning. I couldn't help but be very impressed with Irey over the last couple games. He started slow but really showed why he had high expectations coming into the year. Kid is a good player.

I also really liked the 3-4 WR sets and hurry up we ran in the 4th quarter and wouldn't mind seeing that as our offense next year. We could run 3 WR with Wistoff as a wingback and motion him into the backfield to change formation. Could still run out of that formation or motion our quicker backs out of the backfield and throw those 5-10 yard routes we chewed up USD with in the 4th. Our offense looked comfortable running that set.

Here's a crazy thought--with good depth at receiver, and such a need at quarterback, why not consider taking a look at Blair Townsend this spring at quarterback? He's got good size, he can run and his passing numbers at Coon Rapids High his senior year were pretty amazing--2300 yards, 70% completion percentage, 30 td's.

The starting quarterback for next year won't be a freshman and it won't be a converted tight end. It will be one of the quarterbacks on the roster right now, how can you give up on guys that are 19-20 and are still getting used to the system, at the beginning of this year many on this board would have been on a ledge if you told them Goska was going to be the quarterback for most of the year.

The starting quarterback for next year won't be a freshman and it won't be a converted tight end. It will be one of the quarterbacks on the roster right now, how can you give up on guys that are 19-20 and are still getting used to the system, at the beginning of this year many on this board would have been on a ledge if you told them Goska was going to be the quarterback for most of the year.

You could be right. On the other hand, Tom Miller of the Herald opined in a live chat two weeks ago that next year's starting qb likely isn't on the current roster. It will be interesting, that is for certain.

Defensively, Hendrickson is going to be tough to replace... he's the best ILB I have seen since I've been following UND football. I do like some of the young guys that saw playing time at ILB this year but finding someone else that can consistently play with the speed and intensity of Hendrickson is going to be tough.

If a QB can step up, the offense should see a huge improvement next year with all the other talent returning.

Here's a crazy thought--with good depth at receiver, and such a need at quarterback, why not consider taking a look at Blair Townsend this spring at quarterback? He's got good size, he can run and his passing numbers at Coon Rapids High his senior year were pretty amazing--2300 yards, 70% completion percentage, 30 td's.

Not a crazy thought at all. I have wondered why he wasn't moved to QB last spring. He led the Minn. Outstate AllStar team to a win if I remember correctly and a number of the area HS coaches said he was the best kid on the field that day. Hendrickson is too good of an athlete to remain at QB and not play. I would move him to defense, or receiver. I haven't seen enough of Comes but he will need to make a commitment to stay and get better. Bradley will need to get better. Mollberg is 6'3" and 210 and will likely play at 220. He has a great arm and nice tough on his throws. He is physically ready to play. It would be best if he can redshir because it is tough for any true freshman to come in and be ready. If we can make the playoffs and contend for a conference title and he is our best guy OK but otherwise I like the idea of moving Townsend this spring. I haven't seen him play but I was told he was a great HS QB.

I wouldn't consider it giving up on anyone. I would consider it "competition". If someone on the roster could do a better job (at any positiion), they deserve the opportunity to prove it. That being said - I would hope that if Townsend had the abilities to be our starting QB, our coaching staff would have realized it long before now. He certainly did have great stats playing at the top level of FB in MN.

Defensively, Hendrickson is going to be tough to replace... he's the best ILB I have seen since I've been following UND football. I do like some of the young guys that saw playing time at ILB this year but finding someone else that can consistently play with the speed and intensity of Hendrickson is going to be tough. If a QB can step up, the offense should see a huge improvement next year with all the other talent returning.

This is quite a statement - I am not sure how long you have been following Sioux FB (I think it has been quite a few years) but there have certainly been some good ones. I respect your opinion - I just didn't realize that Hendrickson was that good!

I wouldn't consider it giving up on anyone. I would consider it "competition". If someone on the roster could do a better job (at any positiion), they deserve the opportunity to prove it. That being said - I would hope that if Townsend had the abilities to be our starting QB, our coaching staff would have realized it long before now. He certainly did have great stats playing at the top level of FB in MN.

That's a fair point, but stranger things have happened. Case in point, Ryan Tannehill at Texas A & M. He went from walk-on receiver to possible first round draft pick at quarterback. Had the starter not gone down with an injury last year, maybe he never moves from receiver?

That's a fair point, but stranger things have happened. Case in point, Ryan Tannehill at Texas A & M. He went from walk-on receiver to possible first round draft pick at quarterback. Had the starter not gone down with an injury last year, maybe he never moves from receiver?

Very good example!

No one should take this as a negative question but I know we have some FB lettermen alums on this board but I am curious about their perspective on recruits in attendance at the USD game.

Obviously, the game had a tremendous ending with UND pulling out an outstanding come-from-behind win. Unfortunately, we were not too impressive for much of the game. This bunch of recruits sat together (I assume they sit together) and witnessed: 1) a rather poor performance for much of the game and 2) little "excitement & atmosphere" (until the end) with a nearly empty student section. My question: does the excitement of the win at the end of this game offset those issues or had some of these kids already "rolled their eyes" and decided that UND wouldn't be a great place to play?

I am curious to hear from those who have been through the recruiting process.

UND finished a very respectable 28th in FCS in total defense, and an impressive 4th in rushing defense. The pass defense? Not so good--108th out of 124 teams. It seems difficult to understand how a pass defense could struggle so much considering the pass rush was actually very good this year. With the loss of both starting safeties and one starting corner, I wonder whether things are likely to get any better next year?

I think the recruits mostly forgot about the sluggish and terrible offensive performance in the 2nd and 3rd quarters when they watched and experienced the 4th quarter. It was one exciting and exhilarating 4th quarter. They see we are nationally ranked in both major polls and were awarded a conference championship will pump up most recruits. The fact that there is no more transition and we are playoff elgible immediately and heading to the Big Sky will make them forget about the bad 2nd and 3rd quarters. The end result is that it was a great game to have recruits at. The national television coverage was great too. Most people just remember what happened at the end of the game. I can't wait for next year.