SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

its just that there is so much speculation about the ipf that it would be nice if the herald sat down with faison or muss and just ask a few questions to see how close it is to being a reality and so forth instead of people on here and sab saying they know someone that knows someone that saw a a construction worker near the old engelstad digging a hole?

Patience, young grasshopper.

isn't that the media's job to at least ask the questions?...but at least an interview and when the $ migh be donated, how much $ might be donated, and other stuff could be asked? too bad wayne nelson is too busy tweeting about race cars and such to find out?

Since Wayne Nelson is paid to cover both racing and UND football, I don't know why you have a problem with him tweeting about race cars. Thousands of people attend races every week in the region, several thousand in Grand Forks alone. As a matter of fact, racing in Grand Forks probably draws more people per event than UND basketball. And they race every Friday night from late April or early May to mid September, weather permitting. So Nelson has an audience for his race car stories and tweets.

And as others have said, Nelson can ask as many questions as he wants. It doesn't mean that anyone has to answer those questions. This isn't a court of law, many people say "No comment" when asked questions by reporters. No one is going to give details until the deal is done and people give permission to give out details. If a donor wants to remain anonymous, no one at UND will give out that information even if the deal is done.

• Upvote 1

make wayne the full time race guy and hire someone else to do a little more coverage of und athletics...racing draws that many people because they compete with absolutely nothing else in grand forks in the summer

It draws that many fans because a lot of people enjoy it even if you don't. NASCAR attracts millions of people. The Herald doesn't have enough staff to hire a full time race guy for a 6 month race season locally. We are lucky that the Herald has someone that is pretty much a full time hockey guy. At this point they aren't going to have a full time football guy, and a full time high school guy, and a full time basketball guy, and a full time race guy, etc. They have a limited staff and they are trying to cover as much as possible.

i've been the races here in town dozens of times and i do follow nascar...it's not that i don't like racing its just in my opinion the only thing that really needs to be in the paper are results back in d-5 which would free up nelson to cover und athletics a little more now which isn't much....

i've been the races here in town dozens of times and i do follow nascar...it's not that i don't like racing its just in my opinion the only thing that really needs to be in the paper are results back in d-5 which would free up nelson to cover und athletics a little more now which isn't much....

The Herald's opinion is that racing deserves more coverage. And it seems to be the opinion of advertisers because they get plenty of advertising associated with racing. The fact that the highest level of dirt track racing in the country, the World of Outlaws, makes 3 stops here each summer probably adds to that opinion. The 3 races this summer were all very well attended, with crowds approaching the size of some of last year's UND football games. Racing has a pretty good history in Grand Forks going back well over 50 years so I don't think they are going to change their minds any time soon.

The Herald's opinion is that racing deserves more coverage. And it seems to be the opinion of advertisers because they get plenty of advertising associated with racing. The fact that the highest level of dirt track racing in the country, the World of Outlaws, makes 3 stops here each summer probably adds to that opinion. The 3 races this summer were all very well attended, with crowds approaching the size of some of last year's UND football games. Racing has a pretty good history in Grand Forks going back well over 50 years so I don't think they are going to change their minds any time soon.

82 you are spot on. I was an Account Executive there from 08 - 10 and I sold that exact advertising. I cannot recall a campaign that was directly connected to UND Football. If I remember correctly sports did a racing page every Thursday during the season and we sold that space to the appropriate advertisers. Hockey of course has the special section every year and a lot of advertising goes in there, plus I think a page every week during the season that has the space.

I haven't seen a hard copy since last year so things could have changed.

• Upvote 1

The Herald has more reporters covering UND sports than the Forum (with 3x the circulation and a metro that is more than twice that of GF-EGF). They are Wayne Nelson (football, basketball, misc. others), Tom Miller (football, basketball, volleyball, misc. others) and Schloss (men's and women's hockey, football, when needed, misc. others).

Forum has Kolpack (football, basketball, misc. others), Kevin Schnepf (football, basketball, misc. others) -- oh, and Izzo chimes in from the TV station with Social media tweets and video blogs.

Comparatively speaking, the Herald does quite well with the limited resources it has given the diverse and rabid sports passions within its readership area.

The Herald has more reporters covering UND sports than the Forum (with 3x the circulation and a metro that is more than twice that of GF-EGF). They are Wayne Nelson (football, basketball, misc. others), Tom Miller (football, basketball, volleyball, misc. others) and Schloss (men's and women's hockey, football, when needed, misc. others).

Forum has Kolpack (football, basketball, misc. others), Kevin Schnepf (football, basketball, misc. others) -- oh, and Izzo chimes in from the TV station with Social media tweets and video blogs.

Comparatively speaking, the Herald does quite well with the limited resources it has given the diverse and rabid sports passions within its readership area.

Does DeVillers still do some high school sports for the Herald, also, or am I way behind on that one?

Does DeVillers still do some high school sports for the Herald, also, or am I way behind on that one?

You are right. Greg is still there and is pretty much exclusively high school sports (except hockey -- he hates hockey!), though again, it's all hands on deck come Feb and March tourney time, meaning he has a lot of helpers.

82 you are spot on. I was an Account Executive there from 08 - 10 and I sold that exact advertising. I cannot recall a campaign that was directly connected to UND Football. If I remember correctly sports did a racing page every Thursday during the season and we sold that space to the appropriate advertisers. Hockey of course has the special section every year and a lot of advertising goes in there, plus I think a page every week during the season that has the space.

I haven't seen a hard copy since last year so things could have changed.

I'm pretty sure that they still do the weekly racing page.

Holy Debby Downer! The turf has the wrong logos, the jerseys are ugly and too damn tight, the TV contract, though lucrative, forces many fans to watch UND games online (and thus somehow makes our team seem Bush League), the off the field entertainment is lame, Hammer is god awful, the sideline reporter is a homer ... blah, blah, blah, blah ... Sheesh, I can't wait for football to actually start so we can shelve all these first-world problems we seem to have around here and gripe about X's and O's.

You nailed it. I've been tempted to post a similar thought for the last several weeks. UND athletics are now full members of Division I. They are full members of the Big Sky. There will be a new hockey conference next year. They will be eligible for post-season tournaments in all sports, with no sanctions. The entire program is stable. There is the potential of a new Indoor Practice Facility for several sports coming within a few years. The football team has new, state-of-art turf. Attendance looks like it will trend up. There are TV and video possibilities that will make most UND games available to a large audience. Recruiting has gotten better in almost all sports over the past couple of years. Life seems to be pretty good for UND athletics right now.
  • Upvote 4

keep in mind that the three herald reporters also cover UND sports for the Forum as well now. I don't think UND people don't have too much to complain about in terms of coverage in local papers, and for the most part they don't, at least relative to say, bison fans toward the forum. There are three relevant athletic programs in Fargo, and have roughly 1/2 the staff for them.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?19561-Good-God-the-Forum-is-Sh-tty-Paper

Are tickets on sale for the Montana game yet? I realize this isn't related to this thread at all, but I was hoping someone could help me out. My wife is a big Griz fan, so I was hoping to get a couple tickets for that game. Thanks in advance.

They went on sale on the 15th.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/University-of-North-Dakota-Football-tickets/artist/837921?DB_OEM_ID=13500&list_view=1&tm_link=Artist_SwitchTo_List