SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

I think one of the things we really new are some new traditions. We need something for the 4th Quarter. We need something unique and fun that us students can look forward to each and every week. We also need to start new cheers and start to develop this tradition. Here is a sample of what I wish we could do for the football season.

Aug 30th: SDSoM (Green Out)

Sept 8th: Portland St. (Color By Section.. Each section is either green, white or black)

Sept 29th: Cal Poly (White Out)

Oct 13th: N. Arizona (Green Out)

Oct 20th: Montana (Black Out)

Nov 2nd: S. Utah (White Out)

We also need to tweak the enterence video a little, get rid of the nickelback please and lets throw some Metallica or Sandstorm or something here. How about we get some towels for us to wave around, so we have that along with banging the seats of the Alerus. Move the games to halftime and make them football oriented.

How about the Alerus give us some clips of old UND football games to get us ready for the game (A This day in UND football history), also how about making the place more like the home of UND football.

I also wished that some of the football team acutally comes to the Union on Wednesday's to help promote the team and help convince people to come out and watch them play on Saturdays. I also wish they held pep rallies for the team out at Memorial, I think that would be kinda cool for the students. Its like a fresh start for us.

Enough ranting from me... back to "finals"

There was a green out during the USD game. Or was that all of the empty seats? All we need to do is look south and improve on what they do with the intro, student fan experience, and winning. Seriously though if I don't see a new intro video and improved team entrance I will puke. It's been years of pure garbage, they've never done it right and it shows. Is a theme song really that hard to think of? And turn up the speakers on the music it's too quiet.

• Upvote 2

Have you ever though of having tailgate parties over at the old field. If you were in Grand Forks over understand why things have changed. No one wants to be inside. Music and entry video are not what makes the games. It is the noise of the crowd. What has changed since moving to division 1 ball. We play Division two teams and no one comes. Don't forget we too were once division 2 .

Aug 30th: SDSoM (Green Out)

Sept 8th: Portland St. (Color By Section.. Each section is either green, white or black)

Sept 29th: Cal Poly (White Out)

Oct 13th: N. Arizona (Green Out)

Oct 20th: Montana (Black Out)

Nov 2nd: S. Utah (White Out)

We pulled off a legit color-coordinated thing a whopping one time down here in Fargo that I can think of, and they encourage a yellow-out I think once a year. Very difficult to get the normal fans to take part. Students is easy...(well it is here anyways). To do it for an entire season would be extremely difficult to get everyone on board. It also requires the building to be full! (had to throw something rude and unnecessary in the post).

carry on!

I think the only way to realistically do a color coordinated thing is if the university actually provided the shirts at the door; even in different sizes. Otherwise people will not go out of their way to buy a certain color shirt even if they are $5.

• Upvote 1

I think the only way to realistically do a color coordinated thing is if the university actually provided the shirts at the door; even in different sizes. Otherwise people will not go out of their way to buy a certain color shirt even if they are $5.

I'm quite sure that almost everyone in Grand Forks and people who are UND fans owns a green shirt. And everyone in the world owns a white shirt and a black shirt. It's not like our colors are crazy. Blackouts are very easy.

I'm quite sure that almost everyone in Grand Forks and people who are UND fans owns a green shirt. And everyone in the world owns a white shirt and a black shirt. It's not like our colors are crazy. Blackouts are very easy.

I see what you mean, but hockey whiteouts are more like salt n pepper so I have a hard time believing that football can pull it off.

Well, I was always told think big and be bold, so :D

That being said, I understand that some of the things that are said. Its hard to do for an entire year, its hard to get people to do it, the student will come if they win. I am also a realist that some of these things won't be done, I understand.

However, things need to change... there should be no more of this asking where the you know what are the students. There are 14,000 students on this campus that can fill 2,000 student seats (I think 2000 are available?). And for the most part, tickets are free!!! FREE!!! I'll do my part to fill 1 every game this year and get a few people as well. I want to be able to see new traditions started with football and bring new cheers, or hey even bring some old ones back.

I am excited for this year, I have not been this excited for a football season in a long while.

• Upvote 1

Not everyone has white or black shirts that they want to wear to a game. For instance, I've got white t-shirts, but that's not what I wear to games. I've done it for some of the white outs at hockey games. My only other choice would be dress shirts. But I don't wear white very often and I don't want to wear white to a game. I usually wear jerseys or windshirts or hoodies. I've got green and black jerseys and windshirts, and green hoodies. And the problem with green is that there are so many shades of green for UND shirts. Getting a student section to wear one color would be more possible, but it will be difficult to get the entire crowd to follow even for one game, much less for every game.

Yea, against School of Mines. We can hardly wait. ???

I too am with you. My excitement will be at max capacity when its Potato Bowl week against Portland State...to me SD Mines is like getting excited for an NFL preseason game.

• Upvote 1

I too am with you. My excitement will be at max capacity when its Potato Bowl week against Portland State...to me SD Mines is like getting excited for an NFL preseason game.

NFL preseason games don't count. Mines counts. GO SIOUX!!

The committee looks at the totality of a schedule. When compared to others, a Mines loss would be devastating. It 100% matters.

It boils down to a loss either way. Even a 100-0 blowout does UND no good, but true, a loss to Mines would be even more humiliating.

To the people who jumped all over me because I'm not enthused about Mines, well I sure hope I don't see you posting any complaints about the team this year

It boils down to a loss either way. Even a 100-0 blowout does UND no good, but true, a loss to Mines would be even more humiliating.

To the people who jumped all over me because I'm not enthused about Mines, well I sure hope I don't see you posting any complaints about the team this year

I wasn't one to "jump all over" you, but I did tend to agree with the sentiment (not necessarily the delivery) of those who did. I think this one can be chalked up under the category of "Beating a Dead Horse," at this stage in the game. No one really likes it (there are surely realities we're not privvy to that make it a necessity and too difficult to cancel or replace only three and a half months from kick-off), but, as someone said, it is what it is. Time to move on and make the best of what we've got for our first real run out of the chute. I'm all for constructive criticims, but this topic is far beyond broken to the point of no return with no hope of fixing. I don't think feeling that way should negate anyone's privelige to criticize our teams in the future. Far be it for me to be the criticism police, though. :)

• Upvote 4

After the SD Mines game, the schedule looks pretty darn good. Just think of it as a good tune-up game to get a bunch of young guys some game-time experience.

I agree with this...this game is used to fix the bugs, tweak the playbook, and get ready for PSU without any injuries.

• Upvote 2