SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

I agree, they have stepped it up in quality and coverage and I love it! I know you digital media and athletic department guys are reading this so please will you guys look into doing a through these doors type of feature for football?

I believe around the spring game Hejdu said they are going to be having a Through These Doors type production for football.

I believe around the spring game Hejdu said they are going to be having a Through These Doors type production for football.

You are correct. He said that they were going to do some new things because of the move to the Big Sky and that is one of them.

Hey guys, I'm a long time reader of siouxsports.com but I never post anything. I've probably been keeping track of everything on here since I was in Jr. High. I'm currently a UND student who has been to pretty much every home game since 2001 when the team first moved into the Alerus. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am for this upcoming season. With the current student attendence to games being what it is, I'm really hoping that the University gets the word out to the students about the home games better then what they have done in the past. Most of the students, from my experiences, view the football program as lower tier program due to ignorance. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to get my friends to go to games and all they say is "Why would I spend my Saturday afternoon watching that when I can sit at home and watch all big name programs on TV." They just don't know the history of the program and they usually compare it to that school down south, with their recent success. Heck most of the students don't even know about the rivalry between the two schools and just assume that NDSU has been the top dog forever in the state of North Dakota. The future of UND football looks bright and I'm hoping the students and the community of Grand Forks sees this and comes out to games to support our guys. Thats just my two cents I guess on the attendence issue we've had in the past. Here to a great season in the Big Sky in 2012. Go Sioux

UND needs more students like you! I was there 03 - 07 and the student perception was the same. Big difference now is that good teams are actually coming to town and I just hope that the students actually begin to realize this.

UND needs more students like you! I was there 03 - 07 and the student perception was the same. Big difference now is that good teams are actually coming to town and I just hope that the students actually begin to realize this.

Thanks, I couldn't agree with you more. This years schedule and the ones in the future should generate enough interest to get UND football to where it needs to beattendance wise.

Hey guys, I'm a long time reader of siouxsports.com but I never post anything. I've probably been keeping track of everything on here since I was in Jr. High. I'm currently a UND student who has been to pretty much every home game since 2001 when the team first moved into the Alerus. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am for this upcoming season. With the current student attendence to games being what it is, I'm really hoping that the University gets the word out to the students about the home games better then what they have done in the past. Most of the students, from my experiences, view the football program as lower tier program due to ignorance. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to get my friends to go to games and all they say is "Why would I spend my Saturday afternoon watching that when I can sit at home and watch all big name programs on TV." They just don't know the history of the program and they usually compare it to that school down south, with their recent success. Heck most of the students don't even know about the rivalry between the two schools and just assume that NDSU has been the top dog forever in the state of North Dakota. The future of UND football looks bright and I'm hoping the students and the community of Grand Forks sees this and comes out to games to support our guys. Thats just my two cents I guess on the attendence issue we've had in the past. Here to a great season in the Big Sky in 2012. Go Sioux

Thanks for your post and your interest in, and loyalty to, the program. I agree with all of your thoughts.

Do you have any thoughts/ideas as to what the athletic department can do to create interest among the students? If we can win, that will sure help but we need students now to help us win. Do you think a few players and a coach or two attending a meeting set up by the athletic department in some of the dorms and frat/sorority houses would help? They could give away UND football stuff, answer questions, etc. What else would have an impact? Not only do we need students, we need them to stay for the whole game.

Thanks for your post and your interest in, and loyalty to, the program. I agree with all of your thoughts.

Do you have any thoughts/ideas as to what the athletic department can do to create interest among the students? If we can win, that will sure help but we need students now to help us win. Do you think a few players and a coach or two attending a meeting set up by the athletic department in some of the dorms and frat/sorority houses would help? They could give away UND football stuff, answer questions, etc. What else would have an impact? Not only do we need students, we need them to stay for the whole game.

I graduated a few years ago but when I was going to UND they sent emails to all the students notifying us of events taking place that week or the next week. Unfortunately, the emails often showed up late in the week so if you didn't check your email friday you didn't even know about the football game the following day (unless you put forth enough effort to look up a schedule, which most students don't do). Also, the emails were filled with Greek life garbage so I (and I'm guessing most people) just deleted them without reading most of what was in the email. Putting up more notices of upcoming games on the bulletin boards in the dorms, lecture buildings, student union, and dining centers would be a quick, easy step in the right direction (I guess can't really guarantee that they're haven't already been doing this for the past few years to no results). When I started at UND, the football crowds were awesome, but they've really tapered off. I think one of the biggest problems may be the changes the Alerus Center made to tailgating a few years ago. As much as I hate NDSU, their tailgating is much better/easier than tailgating at the Al.

• Upvote 1

Looking at some of these "highlights" I would have thought the UND game vs Montana would be a bit more of an important matchup than the SUU game vs Montana.

http://www.sportsnet...aspx?id=4498445

Respect is earned I guess.

We are still unknown to the FCS media. Get some bigtime upset wins and people will take notice.

Student turnout is an easy fix. Return tailgating to what it was. Kick the crap out of USDMTMTSSD and run up the score so every player gets some touches for the fans to see. Beat Portland St. Finally get an FBS win in San Diego.

With that the attendance for the Poly game would be huge. And I'm sure if fans will be clamoring to get a glimpse of the first all black football uni in program history as well. Add all of that together with hype for the new qb and conference and turf and you have a potential powder-keg that could launch the football team to new heights.

This may be a dumb question but what makes tailgating in the past much better than tailgating now? Paying for parking? other aspects?

I was thinking the same thing...is it worse than at Memorial Stadium?

I think that the amount of people is big; however, the more noise that is made from the fans at the games the more people will come. I was at one game last year, and after being to several other stadiums after moving from North Dakota ten years I can see why people do not go. I love the noise and team spirit, but the only game I saw it from was the game Sioux came back to win in the last five minutes. What ever happen to Sioux fans on your feet for another Sioux kick-off. Let them know its third down and ?

I graduated a few years ago but when I was going to UND they sent emails to all the students notifying us of events taking place that week or the next week. Unfortunately, the emails often showed up late in the week so if you didn't check your email friday you didn't even know about the football game the following day (unless you put forth enough effort to look up a schedule, which most students don't do). Also, the emails were filled with Greek life garbage so I (and I'm guessing most people) just deleted them without reading most of what was in the email. Putting up more notices of upcoming games on the bulletin boards in the dorms, lecture buildings, student union, and dining centers would be a quick, easy step in the right direction (I guess can't really guarantee that they're haven't already been doing this for the past few years to no results). When I started at UND, the football crowds were awesome, but they've really tapered off. I think one of the biggest problems may be the changes the Alerus Center made to tailgating a few years ago. As much as I hate NDSU, their tailgating is much better/easier than tailgating at the Al.

They still send those emails out to students and they may as well be sending out spam. I never look at them and just delete them right away. I agree with putting up notices on the bulletin boards around campus but I think they also need something that will grab someone’s attention when the students are walking to class. Something like a board on campus displaying all the upcoming athletic events or something like that. Another thing is getting to the Alerus as a student is a pain. I think they still have shuttle buses going from campus to the Alerus but I'm not sure. If they do, they really need to start advertising it. I think that would help a little. For the students staying for the game, they really need to improve the atmosphere in the Alerus before and during the game. I know this has been brought up before. Some of the pregame videos and in game contests such as minute to win it seem like something straight out of high school. One of my pet peeves that still makes me cringe a little is when they have the players on the video screen doing something goofy or cheering on the fans. It seems out of place. The Alerus should really take a page out of the Ralphs playbook when it comes to building that game time atmosphere.

• Upvote 2

They still send those emails out to students and they may as well be sending out spam. I never look at them and just delete them right away. I agree with putting up notices on the bulletin boards around campus but I think they also need something that will grab someone’s attention when the students are walking to class. Something like a board on campus displaying all the upcoming athletic events or something like that. Another thing is getting to the Alerus as a student is a pain. I think they still have shuttle buses going from campus to the Alerus but I'm not sure. If they do, they really need to start advertising it. I think that would help a little. For the students staying for the game, they really need to improve the atmosphere in the Alerus before and during the game. I know this has been brought up before. Some of the pregame videos and in game contests such as minute to win it seem like something straight out of high school. One of my pet peeves that still makes me cringe a little is when they have the players on the video screen doing something goofy or cheering on the fans. It seems out of place. The Alerus should really take a page out of the Ralphs playbook when it comes to building that game time atmosphere.

New pre game video that fans will actually get excited for like the hockey games, a theme song for the team entrance, fog machine and lasers coming out of the helmet, and have a fan blackout with the teams new black uniforms. Those would help. No more minute to win it is right, its a joke. Leave that crap for halftime when nobody is watching and so the players dont have to see it and get embarrassed and distracted. It's not hard, all it takes is effort, which, apparently, nobody in charge of the football atmosphere has.

• Upvote 1

I completely agree with what you guys are saying; there are a lot of good ideas floating around on this thread. They definitely need to get rid of the videos where the players are doing the funky chicken. I get embarrassed and I'm watching the game by myself on UND Insider...they're the worst.

I'm very optimistic that we're going to see a resurgence in the football program's fan support and I think evidence comes from the spring game's attendance. And as long as UND can stay in the BSC, it can start developing rivalries and there won't be a need for bulletin boards; the students will be out in force. It also won't hurt that every game means something because we're now fighting for a PLAYOFF position. I think we need to give this some time to develop and play out, but campus advertisement will certainly help the short term.

One more thought...I really think the students need to feed off of themselves for this to be successful by keeping themselves entertained. You see all the hockey tradition that has been passed down to the students for years. Someone needs to step it up and start organizing chants and what not for football (and all other sports). Wouldn't it be nice if the students would come out regularly, like they did for UND/ NDSU basketball this past year? What a fantastic atmosphere; it would have been great to be a part of that game.

• Upvote 1

I agree that the pre-game intro last season was totally lame. Along with the clips of players on the big screen screaming for the fans to make some noise. In the past though I thought the stuff on the Alerus video screens were pretty good. I really liked the 2010 intro with Corey Colehour and Rob Bollinger speaking about the traditions at North Dakota. Agree, though that they should contract or something to the people at the Ralph to produce this stuff for the Alerus. They do a first class job.

But the in-game promotions are really no different than at REA. At hockey games you've always got students answering trivia questions and singing lyrics to Pat Benatar songs too........................

I think one of the things we really new are some new traditions. We need something for the 4th Quarter. We need something unique and fun that us students can look forward to each and every week. We also need to start new cheers and start to develop this tradition. Here is a sample of what I wish we could do for the football season.

Aug 30th: SDSoM (Green Out)

Sept 8th: Portland St. (Color By Section.. Each section is either green, white or black)

Sept 29th: Cal Poly (White Out)

Oct 13th: N. Arizona (Green Out)

Oct 20th: Montana (Black Out)

Nov 2nd: S. Utah (White Out)

We also need to tweak the enterence video a little, get rid of the nickelback please and lets throw some Metallica or Sandstorm or something here. How about we get some towels for us to wave around, so we have that along with banging the seats of the Alerus. Move the games to halftime and make them football oriented.

How about the Alerus give us some clips of old UND football games to get us ready for the game (A This day in UND football history), also how about making the place more like the home of UND football.

I also wished that some of the football team acutally comes to the Union on Wednesday's to help promote the team and help convince people to come out and watch them play on Saturdays. I also wish they held pep rallies for the team out at Memorial, I think that would be kinda cool for the students. Its like a fresh start for us.

Enough ranting from me... back to "finals"

• Upvote 2

We also need to tweak the enterence video a little, get rid of the nickelback please and lets throw some Metallica or Sandstorm or something here. How about we get some towels for us to wave around, so we have that along with banging the seats of the Alerus. Move the games to halftime and make them football oriented.

THIS

Ever see a little kid watch a game. Growing up it seemed I was always cheering and making up new cheers.now I still do it, only now I do it at my computor in wyoming or at the radio. There has been alot here said, but why not do something about it. Someone on here needs to start a group up that goes to the campus and makes kids get involved not only at the games, but the french frie feed, parades and tailgating. If the tailgating is not fun have it somewhere else and then go to the game.

If the tailgating is not fun have it somewhere else and then go to the game.

I believe that is already happening to some extent. Rather than paying for a spot in the parking lot, people are going to the Tavern or Playmakers in the Canad Inn. However, drinking in a bar/restaurant is not tailgating....

• Upvote 1

I think one of the things we really new are some new traditions. We need something for the 4th Quarter. We need something unique and fun that us students can look forward to each and every week. We also need to start new cheers and start to develop this tradition. Here is a sample of what I wish we could do for the football season. Aug 30th: SDSoM (Green Out) Sept 8th: Portland St. (Color By Section.. Each section is either green, white or black) Sept 29th: Cal Poly (White Out) Oct 13th: N. Arizona (Green Out) Oct 20th: Montana (Black Out) Nov 2nd: S. Utah (White Out) We also need to tweak the enterence video a little, get rid of the nickelback please and lets throw some Metallica or Sandstorm or something here. How about we get some towels for us to wave around, so we have that along with banging the seats of the Alerus. Move the games to halftime and make them football oriented. How about the Alerus give us some clips of old UND football games to get us ready for the game (A This day in UND football history), also how about making the place more like the home of UND football. I also wished that some of the football team acutally comes to the Union on Wednesday's to help promote the team and help convince people to come out and watch them play on Saturdays. I also wish they held pep rallies for the team out at Memorial, I think that would be kinda cool for the students. Its like a fresh start for us. Enough ranting from me... back to "finals"
Color oriented promos are great if your attendance is near capacity already. If not, it makes the empty seats all the more obvious. You need the "out" in "whiteout" for that to work. A "whiteout" that looks like salt n pepper doesn't work.

Color oriented promos are great if your attendance is near capacity already. If not, it makes the empty seats all the more obvious. You need the "out" in "whiteout" for that to work. A "whiteout" that looks like salt n pepper doesn't work.

Another hard part is getting fans to actually wear the color. Minnesota has been trying to do gold outs for the past 5 years now and half the crowd will wear gold and the other half still shows up in maroon, gray, white, etc.