SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

I'd say that's a fair pre-season rank, although I feel it is more than reasonable to expect UND to reach #3 by the end of the season.

I would agree with the pre-season ranking. Not so sure we will move up much. I think our team has gotten quite a bit better, but this is the first time that anyone on the team has played a tough conference schedule at the collegiate level. The Great West was good, but only provided three conference games. This year, every game is going to be big and I feel our team will have to adjust to that. Hopefully they adjust quickly.

If our secondary is improved we will finish higher than 6th in the Big Sky. I feel we are a better team than Cal Poly and have a good home/road schedule for our first year. After watching spring ball I think our offense will score points and our front 7 on defense will be up for the challenge if they can stay healthy. Secondary is my concern and if they show no improvement, we'll be a middle of the league team.

Good news - I just e-mailed Matt Schill asking if there would be a football styled "Through These Doors" and he responded saying "The short answer is yes. We're still in planning stages, but there will likely be two new video series on the football team next fall in addition to the usual highlights, press conference, features, etc."

This makes me really happy!

• Upvote 4

While the secondary is fairly inexperienced, I agree with the assessment of geaux_sioux that things probably appeared worse than what they really are in the spring game due to the fact that unlike past years where is it was just offense vs. defense, this year there were two presumably evenly-split teams. So at no point did we see the starting secondary playing together. Daryl Brown is a potential star, and Mersereau is a freakishly good athlete, so we're already halfway to a pretty solid secondary. I suspect we still may see a transfer or two at the safety positions if the staff isn't completely confident that some of the younger players can get the job done in the fall. The bottom line is that while it would probably be overstating things to say this group will necessarily be one of the team's strengths, I do expect that Boyd and whomever else will be coaching the secondary this fall will have them ready to play at a higher level than what we've seen the past few years.

Good news - I just e-mailed Matt Schill asking if there would be a football styled "Through These Doors" and he responded saying "The short answer is yes. We're still in planning stages, but there will likely be two new video series on the football team next fall in addition to the usual highlights, press conference, features, etc."

hopefully it's alot like what Portland St had for their football team. it made a team with zero fan following look legit, just imagine what it would look like for us

• Upvote 1

hopefully it's alot like what Portland St had for their football team. it made a team with zero fan following look legit, just imagine what it would look like for us

Agreed, I loved watching Portland State's last year. Just curious why is Daryl Brown so hyped up? I watched pretty much every game last year and did not really notice him granted I probably didn't pay too much to the defensive players especially the DB's since it seemed like they were always getting torched. Anyways it's not supposed to be a knock against Brown just wondering?

After reading the Bleacher Report preseason rankings, the one thing that stood out to me was that Cal Poly plays neither Montana nor Montana State. Considering that, the game we play against Cal Poly at home will be a very important game - much more important than last year’s homecoming game against them for sure. Cal Poly could easily end up with a really good conference record given their schedule, so beating them head-to-head will be very important.

I just have to say - Matt Schill and gang are doing a great job - Through These Doors was great this season and I am looking forward to seeing what they have in mind for football.

• Upvote 2

After reading the Bleacher Report preseason rankings, the one thing that stood out to me was that Cal Poly plays neither Montana nor Montana State. Considering that, the game we play against Cal Poly at home will be a very important game - much more important than last year’s homecoming game against them for sure. Cal Poly could easily end up with a really good conference record given their schedule, so beating them head-to-head will be very important.

On paper, Cal Poly is probably one of the 3 best teams in the Big Sky. On top of that they by far have the easiest schedule in the league for 2012.

I think 6th is a good place to start, we are in the middle, no big target on our backs and in a perfect situation to go out and shock some teams. Could you imagine a GWFC team winning the Big Sky? And I am not talking about Cal Poly either. They do have an easy BSC schedule but they did go 4-3 in FCS games last year while we went 5-1 in FCS games. So I think they aren't giving UND enough credit to do something in the BSC because we are the new team on the block we are the NDSU of BSC, NDSU went 6-5 their first season in the MVFC now they see UND doing the same. All UND can do is prove everyone wrong and I can't wait to see them do so.

I agree, they have stepped it up in quality and coverage and I love it! I know you digital media and athletic department guys are reading this so please will you guys look into doing a through these doors type of feature for football? (Portland State did an awesome job: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lkY9GLz1uM ) Also, thanks for what you guys have done so far!

looking at Portlands vs what we saw with ours we have a ways to go although obviously you don't have as much to work with in a spring game vs a real one. I just think that darker lighting on the Portland one makes it seem more edgy like a movie.

They also hired a professional digital media production company. That makes a huge difference as are athletic dept. guys are goof; these guys are pros.