SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

I agree with this...this game is used to fix the bugs, tweak the playbook, and get ready for PSU without any injuries.

Games like this are pretty common for FCS teams, 2 years ago most of the Big Sky teams hosted teams from a DII conference and after gaining a big lead worked their younger guys in to see what they had and work on stuff, last year a lot of them played up and got killed by the big boys who got a big lead and worked their younger guys in and worked on stuff. Killing someone hapless or getting killed by someone who makes you look hapless is not unusual for decent FCS teams.

That said, UND should not have to schedule a game like this again unless the BSC agrees to play a specific conference like they did 2 years ago.

Games like this are pretty common for FCS teams, 2 years ago most of the Big Sky teams hosted teams from a DII conference and after gaining a big lead worked their younger guys in to see what they had and work on stuff, last year a lot of them played up and got killed by the big boys who got a big lead and worked their younger guys in and worked on stuff. Killing someone hapless or getting killed by someone who makes you look hapless is not unusual for decent FCS teams.

That said, UND should not have to schedule a game like this again unless the BSC agrees to play a specific conference like they did 2 years ago.

I say UND should follow UNI...schedule a DII team ONLY if all the FCS teams are not available.

What are everyone's expectations for the San Diego St. game? I'm a little too confident but I'm expecting a win.

They lost their starting running back and QB from last season; along with quite a few starters. That will help our chances but still an uphill battle. I am really hoping to be able to watch that one on the tube or net.

What are everyone's expectations for the San Diego St. game? I'm a little too confident but I'm expecting a win.

After our close loss to Fresno State last year has me convinced this game is going to be a lot closer maybe a FG can win it for UND, but I still write them down as a loss.

The committee looks at the totality of a schedule. When compared to others, a Mines loss would be devastating. It 100% matters.

The playoff committee looks at D1 wins first. whether we win 77-0, win 6-3, or lose 21-14. It will mean exactly the same in the eyes of the commitee. they loom at D1 games only when determining their playoff field.

Either way, it is what it is. We will win by 3+ touchdown and move on to next week. Not to be pesimistic, but I don't see us winning 7 of the remaining 10 games to even be considered as a playoff team. Maybe 4-5.

They lost their starting running back and QB from last season; along with quite a few starters. That will help our chances but still an uphill battle. I am really hoping to be able to watch that one on the tube or net.

I'll be a Qualcomm Stadium for that one...Can't wait for football!

• Upvote 1

The playoff committee looks at D1 wins first. whether we win 77-0, win 6-3, or lose 21-14. It will mean exactly the same in the eyes of the commitee. they loom at D1 games only when determining their playoff field.

Either way, it is what it is. We will win by 3+ touchdown and move on to next week. Not to be pesimistic, but I don't see us winning 7 of the remaining 10 games to even be considered as a playoff team. Maybe 4-5.

The UND schedule in the inagural Big Sky season is brutal. Conference games against Cal Poly, Eastern Washington, Montana & Montana State and non-conference against Portland. That is every team that finished in the top half of the Big Sky last year (with a nod to Poly for their GWFC co-championship). I applaud the enthusiasm from some of you, but the Sioux schedule is probably the toughest in the conference next year.

I think most fans realize that on the offensive side, all we needed was a stud qb. Hopefully that plus the skill of the front 7 on D will lead to some unexpected victories.

I know I'm excited to see the differences from last years game at UNC compared to this year.

• Upvote 1

The offense did pretty well last year, but it is the secondary on defense that scares me.Even with what you all call a good backfield, UNC had about 6 long balls caught for 30 + years two ? went for tuchdowns/ red zone area.

The offense did pretty well last year, but it is the secondary on defense that scares me. Even with what you all call a good backfield, UNC had about 6 long balls caught for 30 + years two ? went for tuchdowns/ red zone area.

I think they only had three over 30 yards, but all three (48, 80, 88) went for TDs. You may be right that they had one more over 30 that got them down the field quickly. The defensive backfield is also my greatest concern - get some unexpected results from there and we may push for a playoff spot. Realistically, I still see 6 or 7 wins, but will cheer my ass off and happily be proven wrong.

I think they only had three over 30 yards, but all three (48, 80, 88) went for TDs. You may be right that they had one more over 30 that got them down the field quickly. The defensive backfield is also my greatest concern - get some unexpected results from there and we may push for a playoff spot. Realistically, I still see 6 or 7 wins, but will cheer my ass off and happily be proven wrong.

Did anyone predict Daryl Brown would be as good as he was? I'm hoping Dwayne Brown can be healthy for the fall because he looked very legit in the practices I saw him in.

Did anyone predict Daryl Brown would be as good as he was? I'm hoping Dwayne Brown can be healthy for the fall because he looked very legit in the practices I saw him in.

I actually told some friends at the beginninig of the year that Daryl Brown should be starting (prior to game 1 during Spring practices) over both Mackey and Hall. I thought he was going to be a stud. I agree - heard great things about Dwayne Brown and hopefully he can make an impact.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually told some friends at the beginninig of the year that Daryl Brown should be starting (prior to game 1 during Spring practices) over both Mackey and Hall. I thought he was going to be a stud. I agree - heard great things about Dwayne Brown and hopefully he can make an impact.

Anybody that you think should be starting from the beginning that is under the radar?

I am really hoping that the Browns begin to pull away from Mackey and Hall. I just don't know how I feel about Mackey, and Hall doesn't seem to tackle well which is a big problem in this league. Then again I am happy that Kenny Watkins is gone because I am tired of watching him get burned.

Anybody that you think should be starting from the beginning that is under the radar?

If Dwayne Brown is healthy he will start. That is a guarantee. I bet someone unexpected will play alot at safety, I have no clue who will though... Also I'm thinking Rattelle will be an impact playing on special teams and should contribute at LB. Finally Bridges could emerge on PR and KR and also could provide a more dynamic element in the slot than McGill who has no YAC.

New possible safety. A little short but very strong, listed bench as 365 (UND's safety record is 350) and squat as 485 and 40 as 4.58, great pop on hits and tackles and very clean sharps breaks on the ball. He looks like a very capable blitzer off the edge and a run stuffer. Hopefully he is the missing piece to the secondary.