SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Pretty original too.  There are 9 other colleges at various levels who had a Native American related nickname and now have some variation of "Hawks":

Chowam Hawks - formerly Braves (2006)

Dickinson State Blue Hawks - formerly Savages (1972)

IUP Crimson Hawks - formerly Indians (2006)

Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks - formerly Indians (2006)

Miami RedHawks - formerly Redskins (1997)

Ripon Red Hawks - formerly Redmen (1985)

Southeast Missouri State Redhawks - formerly Indians and Otahkians (2005)

Seattle Redhawks - formerly Chieftains (2000)

Stonehill Skyhawks - formerly Chieftains (2005)

All of these schools, with the exception of Miami, strike me as schools that don't really care what their nickname is.  So something safe and generic like _____ Hawks was probably easier to pass off on those schools.  But UND is a state flagship with a fan base with a history of caring deeply about their school's nickname.  ______ Hawks was never going to cut it for UND.  The consultants should have been smart enough to know that going in.

(and yet 2 of the final 7 are ______ Hawks, which is mystifying to me)

Great find. I knew of DSU, IUP, Miami and ULM but didn't realize there were so many others. What a complete waste these consultants are for even suggesting another Hawks related nickname for UND.

Be sweet if one of the committee members called out these so called consultants.

Wow you guys are so great. Every schools you go to you pick a color and a bird.

Then Google the names to find negatives of the others.

Pretty original too.  There are 9 other colleges at various levels who had a Native American related nickname and now have some variation of "Hawks":

Chowam Hawks - formerly Braves (2006)

Dickinson State Blue Hawks - formerly Savages (1972)

IUP Crimson Hawks - formerly Indians (2006)

Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks - formerly Indians (2006)

Miami RedHawks - formerly Redskins (1997)

Ripon Red Hawks - formerly Redmen (1985)

Southeast Missouri State Redhawks - formerly Indians and Otahkians (2005)

Seattle Redhawks - formerly Chieftains (2000)

Stonehill Skyhawks - formerly Chieftains (2005)

Like I said ... 

< adjective > Hawks: This is the standard consultant template. Look at Miami and a host of other schools that have dropped Native related names. It's so pattern and predictable that it's a running joke. And it needs to be dismissed out of hand. 

jdub27 just proved it so. 

People loved the Fighting Sioux name, but people wnet gaga over the new Brien designed logo when it came out in 2001.  There are people that are still pissed the only nickname and logo are never going to used again.  OK, how bout you get Brien to design a "Roughrider " logo that looks similar to the Sioux logo, but still different enough so it is unique on its own.  This will maybe help the die hard "Sioux forever" crowd to adjust to a logo that is similar to the old one while embracing the new name.  Just my thought!!

Kind of begs the question whether separating the nickname and logo selection processes was a good idea.

for one i hope roughriders wins and two i hope its a no brainer that bb is chosen to do the new new logo...and not one that looks like a cartoon of teddy but something along the line of the old/new sioux logo he did a decade ago that is sharp, classy, fierce, and timeless

same page here

Last new idea....and a last ditch effort to keep the Sioux logo alive.

First step is to choose "NoDaks" as our nickname.  As much as I don't care for the name, it plays into my way of keeping the logo.  But, what is a NoDak?  We all know the answer, but it's generic.  It's such a broad stroke for a very diverse state of people.  My idea would expand on this nickname.  Here's how...

Each athletic team would choose one of a number of major groups of people in the state, but modern and historic, and from men to women.  The baseball team could be a soldier from a cavalry, the track team construction workers (male and female versions), the football team a [bison] hunter (thanks Tim!), etc.....Vikings, nationalities, construction workers, fishermen and hunters, etc, could all be represented.  The possibilities are endless.  We're all NoDaks!

And our hockey team would represent the Spirit Lake Sioux, by using the Sioux logo (any non-participating tribes would not be represented).

Each team would get to choose each year whom they'd like to represent with no regard to gender, race, etc...

Call me desperate! :D

First step is to choose "NoDaks" as our nickname. As much as I don't care for the name, it plays into my way of keeping the logo. But, what is a NoDak? We all know the answer, but it's generic. It's such a broad stroke for a very diverse state of people. My idea would expand on this nickname. Here's how...

Each athletic team would choose one of a number of major groups of people in the state, but modern and historic, and from men to women. The baseball team could be a soldier from a cavalry, the track team construction workers (male and female versions), the football team a [bison] hunter (thanks Tim!), etc.....Vikings, nationalities, construction workers, fishermen and hunters, etc, could all be represented. The possibilities are endless. We're all NoDaks!

And our hockey team would represent the Spirit Lake Sioux, by using the Sioux logo (any non-participating tribes would not be represented).

Each team would get to choose each year whom they'd like to represent with no regard to gender, race, etc...

It's abstract enough for Karl that it just might work!

First step is to choose "NoDaks" as our nickname. As much as I don't care for the name, it plays into my way of keeping the logo. But, what is a NoDak? We all know the answer, but it's generic. It's such a broad stroke for a very diverse state of people. My idea would expand on this nickname. Here's how...

Each athletic team would choose one of a number of major groups of people in the state, but modern and historic, and from men to women. The baseball team could be a soldier from a cavalry, the track team construction workers (male and female versions), the football team a [bison] hunter (thanks Tim!), etc.....Vikings, nationalities, construction workers, fishermen and hunters, etc, could all be represented. The possibilities are endless. We're all NoDaks!

Can't use the Fighting Sioux logo per NCAA. Maybe another "Indian" logo would work under your idea.

Very good idea!

The possibilities are nearly endless here. The name can be shaped many different ways to reflect anything that North Dakota takes pride in.

I kind of like it.

First step is to choose "NoDaks" as our nickname.  As much as I don't care for the name, it plays into my way of keeping the logo.  But, what is a NoDak?  We all know the answer, but it's generic.  It's such a broad stroke for a very diverse state of people.  My idea would expand on this nickname.  Here's how...

Each athletic team would choose one of a number of major groups of people in the state, but modern and historic, and from men to women.  The baseball team could be a soldier from a cavalry, the track team construction workers (male and female versions), the football team a [bison] hunter (thanks Tim!), etc.....Vikings, nationalities, construction workers, fishermen and hunters, etc, could all be represented.  The possibilities are endless.  We're all NoDaks!

So each team in the athletic department would come up with its own logo every year?  I'm pretty sure that would be cost-prohibitive. 

So each team in the athletic department would come up with its own logo every year?  I'm pretty sure that would be cost-prohibitive. 

Don't worry the GOBC has enough coin to foot the bill.

... and I find it interesting that they picked one UND student's opinion who still wants to hold on to the "Fighting Sioux" nickname.  Funny they don't talk to any alumni that have the opposite opinion. 

Truth of the matter, its the majority theme on campus right now.   Another surprise, more people want North Stars and not Roughriders in that group

Truth of the matter, its the majority theme on campus right now.   Another surprise, more people want North Stars and not Roughriders in that group

North Stars seems to be gaining steam.  Not very many folks here like it though.