SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Only here does a single "I kind of like it" quote, possibly taken out of context, become the absolute view of a committee member!

His conversation with the woman from Denver about "abstract" nicknames open to interpretation by each individual and how it resonated with him was hardly taken out of context.

• Upvote 2

His conversation with the woman from Denver about "abstract" nicknames open to interpretation by each individual and how it resonated with him was hardly taken out of context.

Personally, I only decide I know the viewpoint of a person after I speak with them directly. But that's just me...

I just don't think it's fair to pass on conjecture as fact, especially on a site (among others) where opinions all of a sudden become gospel.

But really, unless you were there in Denver, I don't know how you can be certain anything wasn't taken out of context.

So you don't really believe newspaper quotes?

Unless you go out and personally speak to them.

I honestly don't. I fully believe that what a person says can be interpreted differently from what was intended (something that often occurs in every day conversation) or is manipulated to fit the intent of the author of the article.

I honestly don't. I fully believe that what a person says can be interpreted differently from what was intended (something that often occurs in every day conversation) or is manipulated to fit the intent of the author of the article.

Not to mention it was a one line snippet from a multiple hour meeting. Guessing KG said a lot of things that could be interpreted many ways when they are presented with little to no context.
  • Upvote 1

Bottom line.....KG played with the best college nickname and logo during his days at UND. The fact he is even entertaining the notion that Sundogs is an acceptable replacement is pathetic.

Bottom line.....KG played with the best college nickname and logo during his days at UND. The fact he is even entertaining the notion that Sundogs is an acceptable replacement is pathetic.

My concern about his comment has less to do with him and more to do with what he may have heard from UND administration about a new nickname.

My concern about his comment has less to do with him and more to do with what he may have heard from UND administration about a new nickname.

Puppets have no role on a committee of this magnitude IMO.......but we have seen how the Pied Piper Kelley can mezmorize people with his ideology over the years.

Puppets have no role on a committee if this magnitude IMO.......but we seen how the Pied Piper Kelley can mezmorize people with his ideology.

I agree.

Obviously, we both like the choice of Roughriders. I kind of think that if enough people rally around one nickname, it might make enough noise for the Kelley administration to realize either that name is chosen, or you will be forced to stay with North Dakota if you don't try to shove a stupid name like Sundogs down the stakeholders throats.

I think if they choose Sundogs, all Hell will break loose.

So, Roll Ridas!!

I agree.

Obviously, we both like the choice of Roughriders. I kind of think that if enough people rally around one nickname, it might make enough noise for the Kelley administration to realize either that name is chosen, or you will be forced to stay with North Dakota if you don't try to shove a stupid name like Sundogs down the stakeholders throats.

So, Roll Ridas!!

Then let the committee know. I know I have

I agree.

So, Roll Ridas!!

Rally around one nickname? So does that have to be Roughriders? You guys are too funny.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i know we're "supossed" to be going away from the Sioux name but I was watching a clip of Dances with Wolves, i never really knew what that movie was about but found out Kevin Costner befiends and becomes a memeber of the Sioux tribe. Anyways the few minutes that I watched Kevin says he's never know a people so devoted to family and so dedicated to each other and the only word that came to mind is harmony. I know its just a movie but that sounds like "UND" sports, espcially hockey and its just really sad and a shame that the pc @&$holes have made us take away the Fighting Sioux name!!! At least we'll always be Fighting Sioux in our hearts!!!

i know we're "supossed" to be going away from the Sioux name but I was watching a clip of Dances with Wolves, i never really knew what that movie was about but found out Kevin Costner befiends and becomes a memeber of the Sioux tribe. Anyways the few minutes that I watched Kevin says he's never know a people so devoted to family and so dedicated to each other and the only word that came to mind is harmony. I know its just a movie but that sounds like "UND" sports, espcially hockey and its just really sad and a shame that the pc @&$holes have made us take away the Fighting Sioux name!!! At least we'll always be Fighting Sioux in our hearts!!!

I don't disagree with you. But, the reality is that it is gone. I have enough Fighting Sioux gear for the rest of my life.

This generation deserves a nickname. Time to choose one and let the school, the fans, the athletes, the athletic department move on.

Rally around one nickname? So does that have to be Roughriders? You guys are too funny.

From what I see here, a very large plurality favors Roughriders. That's no joke.

Do you want Sundogs? Or something that fans can rally around?

From what I see here, a very large plurality favors Roughriders. That's no joke.

Do you want Sundogs? Or something that fans can rally around?

Because I don't repeatedly post my support of the nickname I want I get lumped into the Sundog grouping? 

Here are my rankings of the seven finalists, and remember, I'm a marketing expert.

Names That Are Acceptable

1.  North Stars.  This was probably in the top 25 of the original list of names.

Names That Are So Confusing That's I'll Squint At Them And Then Shrug And Wander Away

2.  Nodaks

3.  Sundogs

4.  Roughriders

Names That Aren't Actual Names, And Their Only Advantage Is That I Can Use An Ermine As Their Mascot

5.  North Dakota

Names That Are Worse Than Having No Name At All, Which I Didn't Think Was Possible

6.  Green Hawks

7.  Fighting Hawks

Here are my rankings of the seven finalists, and remember, I'm a marketing expert.

Names That Are Acceptable

1. North Stars. This was probably in the top 25 of the original list of names.

Names That Are So Confusing That's I'll Squint At Them And Then Shrug And Wander Away

2. Nodaks

3. Sundogs

4. Roughriders

Names That Aren't Actual Names, And Their Only Advantage Is That I Can Use An Ermine As Their Mascot

5. North Dakota

Names That Are Worse Than Having No Name At All, Which I Didn't Think Was Possible

6. Green Hawks

7. Fighting Hawks

Oh, yes. Such an expert that your Ermines name went...

Nowhere.

Roll Ridas!

• Upvote 2

Lol.

Good one.

Will you be extinct before the Ermines? Or, soon after they announce the UND Roughriders name?

I've become so involved in this process that I kind of feel like an alumni now.  I may become a fan.  Does this school have sports teams and stuff?