SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Anyone predicting what would happen if sundogs is actually chosen 

Unfortunately, I get the impression there will be a petition drive to go back to no nickname if anything other than North Dakota is chosen.  Whether it's successful or not is another thing, but it'll certainly drag out the whole process.

And if sundogs is chosen, I'll be tempted to sign the petition.  It'll take one h*ll of a logo.

Because a lot of students are from Minnesota.

agreed...seems like minny people/students love north stars (no malice involved just slightly biased), fargo people love sundogs (much malice involved with wanting the worst possible nickname), and north dakota students/people like roughriders???

Unfortunately, I get the impression there will be a petition drive to go back to no nickname if anything other than North Dakota is chosen.  Whether it's successful or not is another thing, but it'll certainly drag out the whole process.

Seriously?  Who would they submit the petition to?  UND?  I can't imagine other than symbolism, it would carry any weight.

Anyone predicting what would happen if sundogs is actually chosen 

People would whine, cry and vow to never send another dollar to UND.  And then promptly forget about it the moment the first football is kicked, or the first puck is dropped.

• Upvote 2

North Dakota is the Rough Rider State not the North Star State.  I can't believe people would not want to at least have a nickname that was relevant to the state's history because of a local high school having the same name.  Honestly who cares (other than RRHS Alums)? And Sun Dogs???? Come on man, that's the worst (actually Pride, Spirit, and Force would be worse).

North Stars seems to be gaining steam.  Not very many folks here like it though.

I don't think that's quite right. When you look at the "top 15" poll here, of the votes for a new nickname (disregard "North Dakota" for now) North Stars was top 3 after only Roughriders and Cavalry. When it was cut to 7, eliminating Cavalry, North Stars is #2 behind only Roughriders. 

I'm certainly among those who think we can live with North Stars. Much as I don't think anyone outside the city of GF will know or care that Roughriders is the local high school's nickname, I don't think anyone outside of Minnesota will know or care that North Stars is Minnesota's motto. UND is like 2 miles from Minnesota, it's not surprising that each feel an affiliation with similar mottos/nicknames.

People would whine, cry and vow to never send another dollar to UND. And then promptly forget about it the moment the first football is kicked, or the first puck is dropped.

Perhaps. Not in my case. Doubt it will be Sundogs so likely won't come to that.

I don't think that's quite right. When you look at the "top 15" poll here, of the votes for a new nickname (disregard "North Dakota" for now) North Stars was top 3 after only Roughriders and Cavalry. When it was cut to 7, eliminating Cavalry, North Stars is #2 behind only Roughriders. 

I'm certainly among those who think we can live with North Stars. Much as I don't think anyone outside the city of GF will know or care that Roughriders is the local high school's nickname, I don't think anyone outside of Minnesota will know or care that North Stars is Minnesota's motto. UND is like 2 miles from Minnesota, it's not surprising that each feel an affiliation with similar mottos/nicknames.

Good point.

Also, I agree with you 100% on your second paragraph.

I personally think the North Stars name has a better ring to it, that's why I like it.  Also, I don't think anyone outside of Twin City folks will even care....and we don't play them in many sports anymore.  Give it 5 years and it would be a thing of the past.  Even the smaller MN schools we do compete against, they all would have had the same chance to choose North Stars as a nickname.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I will say with North Stars, the main reason I don't like it is I don't think it sounds very good since you have the word "North" twice.  Just doesn't roll off the tongue right.  I also think that the name has too much of a hockey connotation for me because of the former NHL team - just gives the impression that the name as picked moreso for hockey.

• Upvote 1

Good point.

Also, I agree with you 100% on your second paragraph.

I personally think the North Stars name has a better ring to it, that's why I like it.  Also, I don't think anyone outside of Twin City folks will even care....and we don't play them in many sports anymore.  Give it 5 years and it would be a thing of the past.  Even the smaller MN schools we do compete against, they all would have had the same chance to choose North Stars as a nickname.

Anyone outside of Grand Forks won't care about Roughriders, and it is the state motto, and doesn't add any redundancy.  

We play way too many schools from that state for it not to be brought to their attention if we chose it. I for one would think it would be more embarrassing to steal a rival state's nickname over that of a local high school.

If we were the North Stars maybe we could get an invite to the mid-season college hockey tourney at the X named in our honor!

Roll Ridas!

• Upvote 2

The logo is just as important as the name and this logo is very good. I wasn't big on the Fighting Hawks name but this logo makes it acceptable. I think it could be a good compromise...it looks like the Ben Brien logo with a hawk face...it is also basically the same logo as the Chicago Black Hawks bird logo that is sometimes used; only difference is the color of the feathers. If you remember, our Indian head logo worn until the 90's was the exact same logo as The Black Hawks except for the color of the feathers so it also harkens back to that tradition and we are a hockey school so I like that too. Fighting Hawks is not a Native American name...no way the NCAA can have an issue with it. Another reason I like it: it will not make the logos in the Ralph look obsolete like rough riders or any other team logo would...this logo would actually be an extension of the Sioux logo just like the Black Hawks bird logo is an extension of their Indian head logo. All in all it is very cool looking and ties into our past nicely.

It also is already copyrighted and has been the subject of a lawsuit once before.

Understand that yes this is a replica of the Black Hawks seldemly used bird logo but we can alter it slightly to make it our own...we got by with changing the colors of the feathers as we used the same Black Hawk Indian head on our jerseys until the early 90's so we could make this work...calling Ben Brien...