SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

If Roughriders win, I'll be celebrating like UND hockey just won a Natty in double OT against the Gophers.

Agree.

Or like GB beating SEA to get to the Super Bo........never mind.

how so

Well. You don't speak for me. I don't mind Nodak Nation as an occasional description but as name it is brutal. One of the worst left.

At this point we should be down to North Dakota and Roughriders. And as much as North Stars is a far superior name to Roughriders, it is Minnesota's. I could have lived with Explorers even though 1 other school has the name just because of the marketing and design potential.

Well. You don't speak for me. I don't mind Nodak Nation as an occasional description but as name it is brutal. One of the worst left.

At this point we should be down to North Dakota and Roughriders. And as much as North Stars is a far superior name to Roughriders, it is Minnesota's. I could have lived with Explorers even though 1 other school has the name just because of the marketing and design potential.

I am fine with all remaining names other than sun dogs however MN has chose not to use north stars for any of there sports teams. When they added the Wild a while back they chose not to go back to the NS. If it was so important why haven't they went back to that name? It is a superior nam, you're right. I don't think we disqualify it simply because a state has it as their motto. Other teams use rough riders even though it is supposedly ours. I'm just playing devils advocate a bit here.

...MN has chose not to use north stars for any of there sports teams. When they added the Wild a while back they chose not to go back to the NS. If it was so important why haven't they went back to that name?

Ummm...Minnesota wasn't allowed to use "North Stars" because that retired name belongs to the Dallas Stars. The league also wanted to avoid any possible confusion between Stars and North Stars.

• Upvote 1

Ummm...Minnesota wasn't allowed to use "North Stars" because that retired name belongs to the Dallas Stars.

Why does no one realize this.

The Wild weren't allowed to wear North Star jersey when the Wild wanted to honor the North Stars, but Dallas said "no."

Ummm...Minnesota wasn't allowed to use "North Stars" because that retired name belongs to the Dallas Stars. The league also wanted to avoid any possible confusion between Stars and North Stars.

Ok makes sense, why not any other MN teams?

Why does no one realize this.

The Wild weren't allowed to wear North Star jersey when the Wild wanted to honor the North Stars, but Dallas said "no."

I have no clue why folks don't understand that. When the New Orleans Hornets re-branded as the Pelicans, the team owner still had to grant permission for Charlotte to "take back" the Hornets nickname.