SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

As a Minnesotan, I and I'm sure alot of Minnesota people wouldn't be pissed that UND picked North Stars as a nickname. In fact I believe many would

laugh and ridicule UND for picking a neighboring state's "state motto" as their nickname.

Here we go, let'm fly. Same people same comments.

Here we go, let'm fly. Same people same comments.

First of all, I didn't say I would ridicule UND for picking a neighboring State's Motto as their nickname. I just think and it seems like some posters on this forum have suggested that some Minnesotans will make fun of UND for picking North Stars as their nickname.

First of all, I didn't say I would ridicule UND for picking a neighboring State's Motto as their nickname. I just think and it seems like some posters on this forum have suggested that some Minnesotans will make fun of UND for picking North Stars as their nickname.

I apologize, I didn't mean to be mock you.  Your post is simply going to stir up comments for the anti-North Stars crowd (the same comments which have been posted hundreds of times over the last month by the same posters).  Again I didn't mean it directly at you.  I typically type from my phone so sometimes I don't think long enough before I post :)

I do agree, some MN fans (mostly from the TC) would use that nickname and mock us....but if it wasn't that it would always be something else.

They'll mock us regardless of what we pick as a nickname... they always have. Who cares?  Pick a name and don't worry about the rival fans' reactions. I had no idea we were all of a sudden so thin skinned around here. They called us names all the time when we were the FS -- and we somehow were able to sleep at night. We will prevail whether its North Stars, Nodaks, North Dakota, Rough Riders or whatever. I will get behind whatever names is picked in the end and cheer on our athletes as hard as ever. 

• Upvote 4

I apologize, I didn't mean to be mock you.  Your post is simply going to stir up comments for the anti-North Stars crowd (the same comments which have been posted hundreds of times over the last month by the same posters).  Again I didn't mean it directly at you.  I typically type from my phone so sometimes I don't think long enough before I post :)

I do agree, some MN fans (mostly from the TC) would use that nickname and mock us....but if it wasn't that it would always be something else.

Its all good scpa305. As a former North Dakota resident for 25 years I had no problem with the Fighting Sioux nickname and I am sorry to see it go. I had a family member play basketball at UND and had many friends attend UND but for me personally I really don't care what UND picks as their nickname because its not my issue. I actually like the North Stars name but I do believe if UND picks that name they will be open for some ridicule, not that UND or its fans should care.

• Upvote 1

WEAKNESSES: Nobody knows what a sundog is and there will be a temptation to put ears and a snout on a mascot to make sure your whining four-year-old sugar-buzzed brat wants to hug it during a time out.

Not the only reason, but one of the reasons I fear "Sun Dogs" as the nickname.   Keep the freakin animal out of it.

I'm still not high on that nickname but I do think the logo potential is decent.   It fits my logo criteria (simple, not busy, easily recognizable at distance, etc.).  And it can also be made to look like a reticle.  Which may be a good or bad thing.

The logo is just as important as the name and this logo is very good. I wasn't big on the Fighting Hawks name but this logo makes it acceptable. I think it could be a good compromise...it looks like the Ben Brien logo with a hawk face...it is also basically the same logo as the Chicago Black Hawks bird logo that is sometimes used; only difference is the color of the feathers. If you remember, our Indian head logo worn until the 90's was the exact same logo as The Black Hawks except for the color of the feathers so it also harkens back to that tradition and we are a hockey school so I like that too. Fighting Hawks is not a Native American name...no way the NCAA can have an issue with it. Another reason I like it: it will not make the logos in the Ralph look obsolete like rough riders or any other team logo would...this logo would actually be an extension of the Sioux logo just like the Black Hawks bird logo is an extension of their Indian head logo. All in all it is very cool looking and ties into our past nicely.

If I were to take a bird name based on the logo, it would be Fighting Falcons since it would roll off the tongue nicely, and you could create a similar type logo. 

Majority? So...did they hire pollsters?

There's that word again! Everybody will start falling apart around here, well four people anyway, definitely not a majority!

Do not mispell or improperly use a word around here, even if we knew what you meant!

Here is that word again, maybe, "2 to 1 margin want North Dakota"

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/3769729-letter-keep-unds-identity-choosing-north-dakota

Lets steer away from polls for a second. 

I predict a July meeting and they decide the finalists. I pose these questions.

1) How many names will advance?(2 to maybe 4)

2) What are the names that will advance to the finalists?

3) How do the committee finally decide how to conduct the vote, when the vote happens, and who gets to choose?

I start it

1) I think they take 4

2) Despite what they say, I think those rankings they gave last week are an indication and expecting Roughriders, North Stars, Sundogs and Nodaks to move on

3) The vote will start in September, giving enough promotion time and students to return to campus, it will be done online, and will be limited (after much debate between Kelley and the committee) to UND ties ONLY (UND fans/students/alumni/faculty etc).   The name will be announce at homecoming.   

That "poll" wasn't a poll. A poll is a survey under controlled, scientific means. That GF Herald thing was an internet survey where you could vote as many times as your mouse button could click.

Dear Sic,

The point I was trying to make was all of the polls, votes, mouse clicks I've seen showed staying North Dakota is selected more than the other names. Then you had to jump my shyt about using a word wrong. I spell bad, write bad, use commas improperly....... etc! That's me, you want to add your opinion about my opinion, that's alright, just don't drag pages of comments about how uneducated I am. That's all...

Now, I'm happy that more people are clicking there mouse to chose North Dakota! Even though a new nickname is OK for me, as long as its not Pride, Flickertails, or Sundogs.

• Upvote 1

That "poll" wasn't a poll. A poll is a survey under controlled, scientific means. That GF Herald thing was an internet survey where you could vote as many times as your mouse button could click. 

Yeah, I voted like 10 times in that poll. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I voted like 10 times in that poll. 

Cheater!

:D

While I know you don't support Roughriders, and I believe we need a nickname, I also know that we are both passionate about UND and their athletics.  The very passionate ones in this debate are the ones that wish to just have "North Dakota" for a nickname..or non-nickname in reality.  I personally like anyone who is passionate about UND and their athletics. 

I hope the final three end up being:

1.  Roughriders

2.  North Dakota

3.  Anything not as stupid as Sundogs.

Dear Sic,

The point I was trying to make was all of the polls, votes, mouse clicks I've seen showed staying North Dakota is selected more than the other names. Then you had to jump my shyt about using a word wrong. I spell bad, write bad, use commas improperly....... etc! That's me, you want to add your opinion about my opinion, that's alright, just don't drag pages of comments about how uneducated I am. That's all...

Now, I'm happy that more people are clicking there mouse to chose North Dakota! Even though a new nickname is OK for me, as long as its not Pride, Flickertails, or Sundogs.

That comment wasn't to you as much as the author of the letter to the editor you cited (and for clarification in general). 

That comment wasn't to you as much as the author of the letter to the editor you cited (and for clarification in general).

Fair enough, the, (look at my beautiful writing skills) minions on here had fun taking your critiques a few steps further.

The logo ideas that people show on here about other new names makes me a little optimistic about this change, but I do lean towards the North Dakota idea.

Dear Sic,

Then you had to jump my shyt about using a word wrong. I spell bad, write bad, use commas improperly....... etc! That's me, you want to add your opinion about my opinion, that's alright, just don't drag pages of comments about how uneducated I am. That's all...

Now, I'm happy that more people are clicking there mouse to chose North Dakota...

Well, on the plus side, you didn't say "could care less," right?