SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Well. You don't speak for me. I don't mind Nodak Nation as an occasional description but as name it is brutal. One of the worst left.

At this point we should be down to North Dakota and Roughriders. And as much as North Stars is a far superior name to Roughriders, it is Minnesota's. I could have lived with Explorers even though 1 other school has the name just because of the marketing and design potential.

Chill buddy, I was say in general. Not saying that EVERYONE who likes North Dakota, like NoDaks.

Does anyone have email addresses for committee members. Someone, maybe several people, need to inform them that Minnesota is the North Star state. It's in their motto and on their state flag.

L'Etoile du nord: Star of the North

Minnesota formally adopted the French phrase "L'Etoile du nord" (The Star of the north) as the official state motto in 1861. The motto appears on Minnesota's state seal.

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/minnesota/state-flag/flag-minnesota

Does anyone have email addresses for committee members. Someone, maybe several people, need to inform them that Minnesota is the North Star state. It's in their motto and on their state flag.

L'Etoile du nord: Star of the North

Minnesota formally adopted the French phrase "L'Etoile du nord" (The Star of the north) as the official state motto in 1861. The motto appears on Minnesota's state seal.

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/minnesota/state-flag/flag-minnesota

They're aware.

So, does the state of ND give its highest honor the name Roughrider, or should that be considered some sort of perjorative, as some committee member think?

Roughriders will be the name, otherwise all state nicknames should be invalidated, and ND should just be annexed by Minnesota, so the U of Western Minnesota can be named North Stars.

• Upvote 4

So, does the state of ND give its highest honor the name Roughrider, or should that be considered some sort of perjorative, as some committee member think?

Roughriders will be the name, otherwise all state nicknames should be invalidated, and ND should just be annexed by Minnesota, so the U of Western Minnesota can be named North Stars.

Let's not pick our own states nickname but our neighbors...BRILLIANT!

• Upvote 2

The fact that the consulting firm, which is making a killing financially with this bogus process, questions the marketability of Ridas because of their perceived "dirty" connotation is absurd.

The only thing I have seen that has been "dirty" in this process is the Kelley minions, Russ, et al shoving Sundogs down the peace pipes of everyone formally involved in this mess right now.

• Upvote 1

The fact that the consulting firm, which is making a killing financially with this bogus process, questions the marketability of Ridas because of their perceived "dirty" connotation is absurd.

The only thing I have seen that has been "dirty" in this process is the Kelley minions, Russ, et al shoving Sundogs down the peace pipes of everyone formally involved in this mess right now.

I'll give you Spirit and Pride being eliminated as a stunner, but the fact that Sundogs has made it to the final 7 should be sending shivers down the collective spines of anyone who truly loves UND.
  • Upvote 2

If the committee wants this to be successful they should narrow the list to Roughriders and No Name. I honestly believe Roughriders would win at this point. These two options are far and away the most popular and unifying.

To the Nodaks crowd saying it is the same as no nickname is wrong. Nodaks behind North Dakota sounds really bad. There is no way to make a logo for a Nodak, and the No Nicknames still will not embrace it. How would that put the university in a different position?

Sundogs has to be a joke, how that scored so high on that committee really makes me question how this crew was assembled.

• Upvote 2

I suppose the consulting firm's concern is if Roughriders is chosen, UND will be subject to a lot of ribbing.

Well, the consultants said any name could have a double meaning. I guess the only way to avoid that is have no nickname. My guess is they'd rather take a chance on a name instead of recommend no nickname.

Now I think I know how all of those other schools came up with lame bird and color names.  The consultants talked them into a generic name that couldn't possibly offend anyone.  Sounds like they should just have asked the consultants to pick out a name, because they obviously are such elite minds.  Unbelievable that we are paying these guys and that Sundogs is still on the list. 

Anyone know what was said in the meeting that prompted them to eliminate Cavalry and Explorers before the voting tonight?

It was hard for committee members to wrap their heads around explorers. To vague and it just didn't feel right. With Cavalry it was pointed out by a committee member that this is viewed by Native Americans as people who massacured Natives and could be a problem if it is chosen to move on. Therefore it was removed.

The consultants need to get over themselves regarding Roughriders. They probably would tell the U of Southern California Trojans to change their name. 

In North Dakota, the TR Rough Rider Award is the highest honor given. 

http://governor.nd.gov/theodore-roosevelt-rough-rider-award

When in Rome, do as the Romans; when in North Dakota, its the Rough Rider Award.