SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I don't think that's quite right. When you look at the "top 15" poll here, of the votes for a new nickname (disregard "North Dakota" for now) North Stars was top 3 after only Roughriders and Cavalry. When it was cut to 7, eliminating Cavalry, North Stars is #2 behind only Roughriders. 

I'm certainly among those who think we can live with North Stars. Much as I don't think anyone outside the city of GF will know or care that Roughriders is the local high school's nickname, I don't think anyone outside of Minnesota will know or care that North Stars is Minnesota's motto. UND is like 2 miles from Minnesota, it's not surprising that each feel an affiliation with similar mottos/nicknames.

I also could live with North Stars as a name.  The only ones that can't are the ones obsessed with what Webster's Dictionary says about it.

• Downvote 1

I have a problem with North Stars since it is the state nickname for Minnesota but that isn't the only reason. I don't see a difference between North Stars and Sundogs that makes one so much superior to the other. I think they would both be difficult to market. I don't see any reasons why we would have pride in the North Star nickname. And the biggest reason I don't like it, I am not a fan of saying North Dakota North Stars. Sounds redundant and IMO doesn't roll off the tongue. 

• Upvote 1

The logo is just as important as the name and this logo is very good. I wasn't big on the Fighting Hawks name but this logo makes it acceptable. I think it could be a good compromise...it looks like the Ben Brien logo with a hawk face...it is also basically the same logo as the Chicago Black Hawks bird logo that is sometimes used; only difference is the color of the feathers. If you remember, our Indian head logo worn until the 90's was the exact same logo as The Black Hawks except for the color of the feathers so it also harkens back to that tradition and we are a hockey school so I like that too. Fighting Hawks is not a Native American name...no way the NCAA can have an issue with it. Another reason I like it: it will not make the logos in the Ralph look obsolete like rough riders or any other team logo would...this logo would actually be an extension of the Sioux logo just like the Black Hawks bird logo is an extension of their Indian head logo. All in all it is very cool looking and ties into our past nicely.

I like this idea. Very good points about tying in to the Sioux logos in the Ralph.

I like this idea. Very good points about tying in to the Sioux logos in the Ralph.

Good points, indeed.  We could be the "Baton Rouge" (red baton "tomahawk") or the "Tomahawks".  That's not a native nickname and the pioneers used them for fighting, too.  As long as there's no feathers attached to the logo, no problem. 

Understand that yes this is a replica of the Black Hawks seldemly used bird logo but we can alter it slightly to make it our own...we got by with changing the colors of the feathers as we used the same Black Hawk Indian head on our jerseys until the early 90's so we could make this work...calling Ben Brien...

This particular logo was NOT a replica and is NOY used by the Chicago Blackhawks. Any t-shirts being sold by vendors online stole the logo. I previously posted all of that information on SiouxSports somewhere.

North Star has several alternate names:

Polaris, Guiding Star, Lodestar, Pole Star, Ursae Minor.

Each of those names wouldn't confuse us with the North Star hockey team or Minnesota. Lodestars might act be a good name.

North Stars need to be dropped from consideration and replaced with one of its alternate names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Polaris

Each of those names wouldn't confuse us with the North Star hockey team or Minnesota.

North Stars need to be dropped from consideration and replaced with one of its alternate names.

"Here come your University of North Dakota Ursae Minor!"

I'll have to think about it. [in all seriousness, I still stand by North Stars as better than at least 4 of the remains 7]

North Stars seems to be gaining steam.  Not very many folks here like it though.

I've always like North Stars, it ranks way higher with me than either no name or Rough Riders.   It wasn't my first choice, but is probably the highest of those that are left.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seriously? Who would they submit the petition to? UND? I can't imagine other than symbolism, it would carry any weight.

Just like any other petition submitted to the state to be voted on, it could become law, or worse..... constitutional.

Mick Garry should not think of quitting his day job to go into  marketing - actually, he doesn't appear to be very good at his day job either - perhaps he should just be thankful that someone has taken pity upon him and is willing to give him a paycheck for absolutely nothing in return.

I love that it would pizz off many from Minn. 

As a Minnesotan, I and I'm sure alot of Minnesota people wouldn't be pissed that UND picked North Stars as a nickname. In fact I believe many would

laugh and ridicule UND for picking a neighboring state's "state motto" as their nickname.

• Upvote 1

As a Minnesotan, I and I'm sure alot of Minnesota people wouldn't be pissed that UND picked North Stars as a nickname. In fact I believe many would

laugh and ridicule UND for picking a neighboring state's "state motto" as their nickname.

So, same as always then, you're saying.  

This atrocity of a list is precisely why those of us engaged in UND Athletics should've demanded full control long ago. Here's a textbook example of a "friend" out to "help" us. 

Each of those names wouldn't confuse us with the North Star hockey team or Minnesota. Lodestars might act be a good name.

I....I don't even....nevermind