SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

If I were to take a bird name based on the logo, it would be Fighting Falcons since it would roll off the tongue nicely, and you could create a similar type logo.

Let's play old time university of North Dakota 'Hawkey'...its gaining steam...

I still don't see why "Roughnecks" wasn't in the list.  That's got at least as much relevance with the state as Roughriders and it's not a copycat of a local high school name.  But, I guess, a school located in the east can't have a mascot from the western part of the state unless it involves a former President and a school in the east already uses it.  

I still don't see why "Roughnecks" wasn't in the list. That's got at least as much relevance with the state as Roughriders and it's not a copycat of a local high school name. But, I guess, a school located in the east can't have a mascot from the western part of the state unless it involves a former President and a school in the east already uses it.

Preach it, brother!

If we're going to steal a name from an aircraft, let it be the A-10.

Official name: Thunderbolt II

Common nickname: The Warthog!

If you want an aviation name, there's a really obvious choice:  Airmen.  

But you'd have to alter the spelling a little to be sure that you can get full creative control.  Let's try a few options.

Airmen.  Nope.

Ayrmine.  Better, but nope.

A-ermine.  Hey, that one works!

If you want an aviation name, there's a really obvious choice: Airmen.

But you'd have to alter the spelling a little to be sure that you can get full creative control. Let's try a few options.

Airmen. Nope.

Ayrmine. Better, but nope.

A-ermine. Hey, that one works!

I gotta give you credit... You are persistent.

If you want an aviation name, there's a really obvious choice:  Airmen.  

But you'd have to alter the spelling a little to be sure that you can get full creative control.  Let's try a few options.

Airmen.  Nope.

Ayrmine.  Better, but nope.

A-ermine.  Hey, that one works!

I gotta give you credit... You are persistent.

I may be in the minority, but I think this Ermine person is funny!  THIS is an example of how to portray a "character" on a message board!

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know what the committee's next paring down method will be?  How will they arrive at the "short list" of final ballot choices?

IIRC, they were told to rank their choices 1 to 7 and go from there.

Im guessing an early July meeting takes care of that and they decide how the vote will run at the late July meeting. 

Does anyone know what the committee's next paring down method will be? How will they arrive at the "short list" of final ballot choices?

All 7 names will be written on a piece of tape, stuck on to a straw. All 7 straws will be carefully, shallowly inserted into the butt of a committee member of Karl Goehring's choosing. This committee member will then pull out 3 straws. These will represent the final 3.

• Upvote 1

All 7 names will be written on a piece of tape, stuck on to a straw. All 7 straws will be carefully, shallowly inserted into the butt of a committee member of Karl Goehring's choosing. This committee member will then pull out 3 straws. These will represent the final 3.

Well at least there's some sense to the process.....

• Upvote 1

IIRC, they were told to rank their choices 1 to 7 and go from there.

Here's where the "abstract" forces unite and eliminate "just North Dakota" and Roughriders from consideration. I just can't picture a world where a white guy will meet the requirements for a logo as envisioned by this committee.

Here's where the "abstract" forces unite and eliminate "just North Dakota" and Roughriders from consideration. I just can't picture a world where a white guy will meet the requirements for a logo as envisioned by this committee.

Well, white is a neutral color. Can we get the committee to see that?  I just dont see a good logo for Roughriders with every color under the rainbow represented. 

The fact that so many Bison/Gopher Hockey fans are begging for Sundogs to be chosen should be a giant red flag to the 11 member committee.......

I am hearing it all... the.... time

Sundogs does not need any other reasons to not consider it a valid nickname idea.  It fails on its own merits!

If Sundogs gets picked, you know the committee decided and the whole thing was rigged. With the comments on here and the comments I've heard around town, Sundogs doesn't have a chance with the public vote! I'd take Gophers over Sundogs!

Settle down......just kidding!