SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Those aren't votes, they were the number of suggestions.  The numbers are meaningless at this stage.  A name with a single suggestion could end up being the one chosen in the end.

Those were indeed votes. Most of the members liked Force so far (by a far majority) as most gave it a thumbs up (a vote).

Its not meaningless. If zero people voted for a name its no longer in consideration (as should be).

But yes a single suggestion could end up being the chosen one in the end. But as you see the final three are going to a "public vote" which the herald poll is. It gives a pretty good indicator or what the general public right now is thinking.

Still anyones ballgame, but its fun to speculate.

*I should have clarified. That graph from from the herald websites poll and is nothing official from UND.

Those were indeed votes. Most of the members liked Force so far (by a far majority) as most gave it a thumbs up (a vote).

Its not meaningless. If zero people voted for a name its no longer in consideration (as should be).

But yes a single suggestion could end up being the chosen one in the end. But as you see the final three are going to a "public vote" which the herald poll is. It gives a pretty good indicator or what the general public right now is thinking.

Still anyones ballgame, but its fun to speculate.

*I should have clarified. That graph from from the herald websites poll and is nothing official from UND.

An internet poll is far from scientific.  They are less accurate than preseason sports polls.

I agree it was a shame in 5 years UND couldn't get the Standing Rock to budge maybe even through a little $$$ towards them and Spirit Lake (worked for Florida State), but the worst thing that happened was the cooling off period, because here we are talking about what UND's nickname will become this fall instead of spending time talking about UND baseball, softball, football and basketball recruiting and cheering on a nickname that would've been 5 years old. I hope when a name is picked they can market it as well as the Fighting Sioux name and logo, I know it won't reach that level (as the name and logo were unique as ever) but please market it as close as possible. Now when this is done, how long before a mascot is born?

Wonder if it would have helped the cause if we gave Standing Rock to South Dakota?

• Upvote 1

Further to the point of lamenting my pathetic aging situation...

...then I see the proposed "Charging Nokota" logo and wish it all to end instantly, like I'm with Tony Soprano and his family at the diner with the once inspirational and now incredibly haunting Journey tune playing as soundtrack to my demise. I haven't seen that much horse hair 'flow since my last Broney convention. "Charging Nokota" is so gaddawful bad I'm beginning to think this is all an elaborate scheme by Jerry York to further inflict pain and suffering on Sioux fans beyond the usual Frozen Four trouncings.

I can't agonize enough over the list of horrific names still "under consideration." Drillers? Energy? Arctic Blaze? That last one just doesn't even make any sense. And, of course there's the cunning subtlety of Bison Slayers. Too clever by one one-hundredth. Yes, I get it, the Fighting Sioux were Bison Slayers. Genius. It's just so bad it's good; that sort of thing. And... honestly I can hardly type this... "Aurora"??? Wha. Tha. Fa? We can all dress in creepy 70's tie dye and cue up the 5th Dimension on the quadraphonic.

Let's bring it back to base camp fellow explorers... There's no other option than just "North Dakota." You know it. I know it. We know it. It's the only way to avoid a complete unhealthy backlash from all of the hearty, God-fearing, gun-toting, red-state, tough-as-nails, ruggedly individualistic and fantastically awesome members of Fighting Sioux nation who, despite their vast numbers in the majority, have no time or inclination to post their whimsical BS on this web site.

taz is here to help

Excellent post! I hope as this process in self torture continues to play out more and more people will realize staying North Dakota with no nickname is the best option.

My top three...which will probably change:

1. Roughriders

2. Anything else will be lame

3. Anything else will suck

There will be a new nickname. No nickname isn't a real option.

FYP ;)

• Upvote 1

Further to the point of lamenting my pathetic aging situation...

...then I see the proposed "Charging Nokota" logo and wish it all to end instantly, like I'm with Tony Soprano and his family at the diner with the once inspirational and now incredibly haunting Journey tune playing as soundtrack to my demise.  I haven't seen that much horse hair 'flow since my last Broney convention.  "Charging Nokota" is so gaddawful bad I'm beginning to think this is all an elaborate scheme by Jerry York to further inflict pain and suffering on Sioux fans beyond the usual Frozen Four trouncings.

I can't agonize enough over the list of horrific names still "under consideration."  Drillers?  Energy?  Arctic Blaze?  That last one just doesn't even make any sense.  And, of course there's the cunning subtlety of Bison Slayers.  Too clever by one one-hundredth.  Yes, I get it, the Fighting Sioux were Bison Slayers.  Genius.  It's just so bad it's good; that sort of thing.  And... honestly I can hardly type this...  "Aurora"???  Wha.  Tha.  Fa?  We can all dress in creepy 70's tie dye and cue up the 5th Dimension on the quadraphonic.

Let's bring it back to base camp fellow explorers...  There's no other option than just "North Dakota."  You know it.  I know it.  We know it.  It's the only way to avoid a complete unhealthy backlash from all of the hearty, God-fearing, gun-toting, red-state, tough-as-nails, ruggedly individualistic and fantastically awesome members of Fighting Sioux nation who, despite their vast numbers in the majority, have no time or inclination to post their whimsical BS on this web site.

taz is here to help

Amen brother!!!!!!!!

For the record, my money is on "Fighting Green Force Hawks".

If you guys were thinking about it, you should have suggested, "Fighting Simian Ice Ogres Using X-Rays". Then you could have abbreviated it.

As long as it isn't Ermines. ;0)

You guys are trying to justify "Charging Nokotas", whatever that is, but I bet you don't realize that it's being pushed behind the scenes by Master Card. Your logo is going to be a horse standing at the checkout stand of Wal-Mart.

Although I do like Nokota or Nokes for short, I do not like the use of "Charging" in front of it. If there needs to be an adjective in front, then use Fighting.

Although I do like Nokota or Nokes for short, I do not like the use of "Charging" in front of it. If there needs to be an adjective in front, then use Fighting.

I'm with you on that.  But, I think it would end up being shortened by slang to  "Nokes" for all practical purposes.

Hey but it is all better knowning that the womens tennis team will get to play home playoff games. The School, the children! We are giving up our identity for the children. :-( What other choice do you have when its for the children? :-(, :-(, :-(. We saved the school. Weeew. Go Flickertails!!.. Can you imagine the crowd after a smoking service ace for a match point. Flicketails yeah! yeah!

For the children!!!

It is "fans" like you that are holding this entire institution and its programs back with your "hockey only" rhetoric.  While NDSU wins FB titles and goes to the NCAA tournament in MBB, we sit around and fight losing battles like this over and over and over again, even with the knowledge that we cannot and won't win.  We fought the good fight and lost, so it's time to move on and start building Division I programs (not just hockey) that everyone can point to with a sense of pride.

But if that isn't good enough for you, you are more than welcome to get off the bandwagon.  The rest of us will proceed to enjoy the ride upward and forward.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It is "fans" like you that are holding this entire institution and its programs back with your "hockey only" rhetoric. While NDSU wins FB titles and goes to the NCAA tournament in MBB, we sit around and fight losing battles like this over and over and over again.

..and get to watch our beloved hockey team swallow their nuts every year at the FF.

• Upvote 2