SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

There would not have been a hosted regional in Fargo, but they still would have been in one!

Also why wouldn't they have been in the FF?

They would've done it all, just without the Sioux jersey on!

Why do you and others think this?

That team doesn't get out of the regional without (essentially) home ice.  Strictly my opinion.  You can take the Wisconsin OOC wins off the numbers too, as that series would never have taken place (that I believe to be fact).  

Why don't you cheer for a team that doesn't let you down and gets that championship that you demand of them?

Wow, some people!

Not a hockey guy. Couldn't care less about their failures on the big stage (though it is intriguing).

I want a new name so we can stop talking about this stupid sh*t and let the past be just that. People won't move on without a new name to rally around. The hockey-only name lovers can do whatever they want. Meh.

That team doesn't get out of the regional without (essentially) home ice. Strictly my opinion. You can take the Wisconsin OOC wins off the numbers too, as that series would never have taken place (that I believe to be fact).

So the "Wisconsin OOC wins" would've equaled no games at all? No other "numbers" would have happened?

Not a hockey guy. Couldn't care less about their failures on the big stage (though it is intriguing).

I want a new name so we can stop talking about this stupid sh*t and let the past be just that. People won't move on without a new name to rally around. The hockey-only name lovers can do whatever they want. Meh.

Fair enough, and I agree, getting it all over with would be nice.

Not arguing with anyone on that opinion, but when people claim all the awful things that would be if they would've kept the name, when they are just opinions of what could've happened and nothing more! They make it sound like this doom and gloom was avoided by getting rid of the name, when no one knows what "would have" happened..

Just what they think would've happened.

Did Ralph strongarm UND about the arena? Yup. It was his to control as he wanted. UND chose to play along; they didn't have to.

Now knowing and admitting that, let's look at Ralph in another facet of his life:

Ralph started in construction. He said he missed the days of someone's word and a handshake being all that was necessary for a deal.

But, the world of construction changed. It became lawyers and contracts. That world change was beyond Ralph's control. I'm sure he wished and fought against it, but that's what the world around him changed into.

So what did he do in a world where the rules changed but he wanted to continue to compete? Ralph hired lawyers and started signing contracts.

When, beyond his control and influence, the rules changed around Ralph, but he wanted to continue to compete, what did he do? He (surely begrudgingly) changed along with it.

When Ralph had power and control, he used it; when he didn't, when the old way was lost, he adapted, adjusted, played by the new rules of the game (lawyers), but he did it. He didn't insist on continuing to do "handshake" deals.

When an era is over, whether you agree or disagree, like or dislike the changes in the new era, you appreciate what you had, but you move on to the next. That's what Ralph did in the construction business. That sounds an awful lot like where we're at also.

• Upvote 1

What Mr. Englestad would have done is mere speculation.  Maybe the Sicatoka is right.  Maybe not.  It doesn't really matter.   

Preventing further damage to UND and continue playing in the NCAA is what matters now.  What is in the best interest of the athletic department of the school and the school itself is what is important to me.   The vast majority of us on this website are stakeholders in one way, shape or form.  My stake is my loyalty to the school where I received my undergraduate degree. 

I believe it is in the best interest of the school and the athletic department to choose a new name and move on.  Not choosing a name, leaving it at "North Dakota" creates another distraction that has the potential for further litigation by the NCAA.  I am not saying that it will lead to further litigation, but it does put UND in a potentially actionable position.  Weighing the pros and cons of this leads me to believe it isn't worth the risk.  So, IMHO, it's time to move on and choose a name.  To leave it at "North Dakota" has the potential to further damage the school and the athletic department.   

Why risk it?  It's not worth it.  Let's put this to rest once and for all. 

Who is this "PCM" you speak of?

Did he truly exist in the golden days of yore on SiouxSports.com?

I think Pat is almost like a unicorn, legendary and mystical.   Maybe he only existed in our minds.    I miss him too

Until someone posts something criticizing your opinion, at which point the readers will be treated to a 34 paragraph essay on how your opinion won't be hushed followed by "end rant."

I am not on here to win popularity contests, so you can save your snarky comments for someone who cares.  I have had it with selfish, sanctimonious people like yababy8 insisting that they get what they want despite the negative consequences that would have to be suffered by our coaches, student-athletes and, to a much lesser extent, our loyal fan base.  And I don't think that loyalty is determined by how willing one is to move on from the nickname issue when all the good alternative options have been exhausted.  Yababy8 apparently cares more about the name than the institution; that is his right.  But when certain individuals blast me with "everyone is entitled to their own opinion", what they are really saying is that people like yababy8 have a right to their opinion.....and people like myself are supposed to be quiet and go along with the crowd.  Well, I wont do that because it is the people that won't let go and move on that are holding UND back.  The more we fight this battle, the further we fall behind the other Dakota schools (NDSU, SDSU, USD) and our Big Sky brethren.

And lastly, if you don't like the length of my posts, you don't have to read them.  And if are reading this message, it is obvious you have made your choice in that regard. :p

Oh, and I almost forgot......

End Rant. ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I am not on here to win popularity contests, so you can save your snarky comments for someone who cares.  I have had it with selfish, sanctimonious people like yababy8 insisting that they get what they want despite the negative consequences that would have to be suffered by our coaches, student-athletes and, to a much lesser extent, our loyal fan base.  And I don't think that loyalty is determined by how willing one is to move on from the nickname issue when all the good alternative options have been exhausted.  Yababy8 apparently cares more about the name than the institution; that is his right.  But when certain individuals blast me with "everyone is entitled to their own opinion", what they are really saying is that people like yababy8 have a right to their opinion.....and people like myself are supposed to be quiet and go along with the crowd.  Well, I wont do that because it is the people that won't let go and move on that are holding UND back.  The more we fight this battle, the further we fall behind the other Dakota schools (NDSU, SDSU, USD) and our Big Sky brethren.

And lastly, if you don't like the length of my posts, you don't have to read them.  And if are reading this message, it is obvious you have made your choice in that regard. :p

End Rant. ;)

When are you going to change your pseudonym?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

When are you going to change your pseudonym?

Never.  My desire to move on is not based on a dislike for the name and logo; I grew up with them.  But if they are going to damage UND and it's programs, we need to choose a different name and logo and move on.  I will leave my pseudonym as a tribute to the history and tradition of the name and logo and all the teams that won championships while wearing them on their uniforms.

Groan...so when UND hosts one home football playoff game in 2022, all the change-the-name folks can point at the rest of us and say "See? Told ya!"

UND gets the shaft in hockey come NCAA time (Marco Hunt)...the folks in Indianapolis will make damn sure the school doesn't host a home playoff game anytime soon too.

So you don't think Bubba will get the football team in the playoffs In the next 8 seasons? Typical hockey only fan response.

• Upvote 1

Never. My desire to move on is not based on a dislike for the name and logo; I grew up with them. But if they are going to damage UND and it's programs, we need to choose a different name and logo and move on. I will leave my pseudonym as a tribute to the history and tradition of the name and logo and all the teams that won championships while wearing them on their uniforms.

This^^^^^^

What do you mean exactly by move on? Whether the name changes or not there will still be many including myself that will always think of and refer to the University of North Dakota as the Fighting Sioux. There will also be some people that will say we should have never officially got rid of the Fighting Sioux name and just because there is officially a new nickname doesn't mean some people will move on from that opinion.

So you don't think Bubba will get the football team in the playoffs In the next 8 seasons? Typical hockey only fan response.

Getting the team into the playoffs is one thing - being seeded high enough to host a game is another. Besides, you completely missed my point. The NCAA will find a way to send UND on a football road trip - unless the team is undefeated and ranked #1 in the country when the playoffs start.

What Mr. Englestad would have done is mere speculation.  Maybe the Sicatoka is right.  Maybe not.  It doesn't really matter.   

Preventing further damage to UND and continue playing in the NCAA is what matters now.  What is in the best interest of the athletic department of the school and the school itself is what is important to me.   The vast majority of us on this website are stakeholders in one way, shape or form.  My stake is my loyalty to the school where I received my undergraduate degree. 

I believe it is in the best interest of the school and the athletic department to choose a new name and move on.  Not choosing a name, leaving it at "North Dakota" creates another distraction that has the potential for further litigation by the NCAA.  I am not saying that it will lead to further litigation, but it does put UND in a potentially actionable position.  Weighing the pros and cons of this leads me to believe it isn't worth the risk.  So, IMHO, it's time to move on and choose a name.  To leave it at "North Dakota" has the potential to further damage the school and the athletic department.   

Why risk it?  It's not worth it.  Let's put this to rest once and for all.

Why would it have to be a risk? Could somebody not just ask the NCAA?

Dear NCAA,

We're nearing the final stages of choosing a new nickname, and if I'm being honest, most of the nickname suggestions are garbage. Anyways, the smartest and best-looking of our fans think we should remain without a nickname, simply the University of North Dakota. What do you think?

Sincerely,

President K-dog

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why would it have to be a risk? Could somebody not just ask the NCAA?

Dear NCAA,

We're nearing the final stages of choosing a new nickname, and if I'm being honest, most of the nickname suggestions are garbage. Anyways, the smartest and best-looking of our fans think we should remain without a nickname, simply the University of North Dakota. What do you think?

Sincerely,

President K-dog

Yeah, that worked in the past:

Dear NCAA,

Are we all good with that Fighting Sioux logo?

Dr. Tom Clifford

Dear Dr. Tom,

Sure...sure.  No problemo.

Sincerely,

The NCAA. 

He was talking about hosting a playoff game, not getting into the playoffs.   But I will bet that if it takes us 8 more seasons to get into the playoffs Bubba ain't gonna be around to see it.    JMO.

End Rant. ;)

When it comes to snarky and sanctimonious (not to mention self-righteous), I must admit, you definitely know whereof you speak!

I am not on here to win popularity contests, so you can save your snarky comments for someone who cares.  

You sure didn't think I was such a prick when I was handing out free Sioux-colored Hoggsbreath t-shirts a couple of years ago at the annual brunch...next time, you'll have to remind me so you don't feel guilted into accepting something from a snarky jerk like me.   :unsure:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Comparing Goon to PCM as writers is like trying to compare a Wahpeton mites squad to the Gretzky led Edmonton Oilers.

Ooh! Ooh! Can I play?

Comparing Goon to PCM as writers is like trying to compare Kanye West to Don Henley.

What do you mean exactly by move on? Whether the name changes or not there will still be many including myself that will always think of and refer to the University of North Dakota as the Fighting Sioux. There will also be some people that will say we should have never officially got rid of the Fighting Sioux name and just because there is officially a new nickname doesn't mean some people will move on from that opinion.

Like I said, you can do whatever you want. The University and the fans that care about all sports can move on and put their energy towards the actual school/sports instead of discussing this crap and forming committees about the name.