SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

You sure didn't think I was such a prick when I was handing out free Sioux-colored Hoggsbreath t-shirts a couple of years ago at the annual brunch...next time, you'll have to remind me so you don't feel guilted into accepting something from a snarky jerk like me.   :unsure:

Ah, the dreaded "t-shirt" card.  I did not see that coming.  Well played. :p

I don't think you are a jerk or a prick.  I am just sick and tired of some people on this forum who don't seem to care about what keeping the name and logo would have meant for our coaches and athletes.  There comes a time when you have to cut bait and move on because the costs of continuing the fight outweigh the potential benefits.  This is serious business and I take it very seriously.

If your original comments were tongue-in-cheek, I apologize, as they didn't seem to be.  You might want to use :p or ;) in the future so that there isn't any confusion.

Comparing Goon to PCM as writers is like trying to compare a Wahpeton mites squad to the Gretzky led Edmonton Oilers.

Goon is here and brings insight and value to this site. PCM is not and doesn't...picked up his ball and left the playground for that cesspool over at USCHO.

Goon isn't going to win a Pulitzer anytime soon......but he is one of us.

• Upvote 2

When it comes to snarky and sanctimonious (not to mention self-righteous), I must admit, you definitely know whereof you speak!

What is snarky, sanctimonious or self-righteous about stating unpopular opinions about issues I care deeply about?  I am not one to play "follow the leader" or "going along to get along", as many other posters on this forum are.  So when people suggest UND chart a course that will harm it's programs and the people who make up those programs, I cannot stay silent.  I have totally ran out of patience for the "nickname at all costs" crowd in our fan base, many of whom are also members of the "hockey-only" fan club.

The health and well-being of our programs will in part be determined by how we resolve (or not resolve) this issue.

Goon is here and brings insight and value to this site. PCM is not and doesn't...picked up his ball and left the playground for that cesspool over at USCHO.

PCM punched out of everywhere, USCHO included.

Some would say that he had enough of the BS, which is prevalent in this thread, and decided life is better without it.

Really like Badlanders or Sodbusters as names that are unique, and tie to the region.  If you think of Cornhuskers, it wouldn't sound great if it didn't have years behind it, but now it would sound strange if Nebraska was called anything else,  just like the Sioux. Would love to see them go with something unique that has many possibilities with imagery, I think both these would give us that.  Since Rough Riders seems so divisive, these would be next on my list. You could even use imagery of Teddy if you wanted, but someone could come up with a unique logo for Badlanders that would be "bad" in a good sense, and as someone has already pointed out, the Springsteen song is built for it. 

Love that Oxbow's Zane fathead made their article picture :)

Saw that!

BTW.........looks like one guy...one...sat behind his computer and pounded out this article and list (whether you like it or not) with some sensible reasoning in probably an hour...2 at the most. UND has a committee, a consultant, and dare I say.......Kelley.

Hail the one guy behind a computer!

Switch #1 and #2 and I like the list.

2. North Dakota

"The number-one suggested nickname by the public was to stay without a nickname. Many fans feel that if they can't have Fighting Sioux, they want nothing -- pages and pages worth of submissions were turned in for this sentiment.

To be honest, being without a nickname is kind of cool. The school now has a unique and fairly strong brand: the name of the state, and the interlocking ND symbol."

Problem with Badlanders is that it represents a small parcel of the state, not to mention it is on the opposite side of the state. Other than that it would be a good alternative to being just North Dakota. No Sundogs, Spirit or other lame ass names made the list.

Like Oxbow said.....Hail to the guy behind the computer!

Switch #1 and #2 and I like the list.

2. North Dakota

"The number-one suggested nickname by the public was to stay without a nickname. Many fans feel that if they can't have Fighting Sioux, they want nothing -- pages and pages worth of submissions were turned in for this sentiment.

To be honest, being without a nickname is kind of cool. The school now has a unique and fairly strong brand: the name of the state, and the interlocking ND symbol."

Problem with Badlanders is that it represents a small parcel of the state, not to mention it is on the opposite side of the state. Other than that it would be a good alternative to being just North Dakota. No Sundogs, Spirit or other lame ass names made the list.

Like Oxbow said.....Hail to the guy behind the computer!

Agreed.  Grand Forks is connected to the Badlands/Roosevelt so remotely that it makes little sense to go that route.  I don't know another sports team whose "locally-tied" mascot only exists 400 miles away, (well, other than RRHS).

Really like Badlanders or Sodbusters as names that are unique, and tie to the region.  If you think of Cornhuskers, it wouldn't sound great if it didn't have years behind it, but now it would sound strange if Nebraska was called anything else,  just like the Sioux. Would love to see them go with something unique that has many possibilities with imagery, I think both these would give us that.  Since Rough Riders seems so divisive, these would be next on my list. You could even use imagery of Teddy if you wanted, but someone could come up with a unique logo for Badlanders that would be "bad" in a good sense, and as someone has already pointed out, the Springsteen song is built for it. 

I don't mind Badlanders or Sodbusters, but they aren't in my top three.  One reason being is it's tough to shorten the nickname.  Your example of Cornhuskers is often shortened to Huskers.  Do we want to be know as the "Landers" or the "Busters?"  Not so much...

Agreed.  Grand Forks is connected to the Badlands/Roosevelt so remotely that it makes little sense to go that route.  I don't know another sports team whose "locally-tied" mascot only exists 400 miles away, (well, other than RRHS).

Don't even know where to begin but what does Grand Forks have to do with any of this other than UND resides there???   The ND in UND is for North Dakota...not Grand Forks.  "other than RRHS"........you run into lots of Knights in GF?  Davies is the Eagles..........haven't seen one flying around Fargo in 18+ years.  North has the Spartans............never seen one in Fargo with the exception of maybe Halloween. 

There really needs to be some understanding that UND and the community of Grand Forks are NOT the same thing by lots of people.

• Upvote 4

Don't even know where to begin but what does Grand Forks have to do with any of this other than UND resides there???   The ND in UND is for North Dakota...not Grand Forks.  "other than RRHS"........you run into lots of Knights in GF?  Davies is the Eagles..........haven't seen one flying around Fargo in 18+ years.  North has the Spartans............never seen one in Fargo with the exception of maybe Halloween. 

There really needs to be some understanding that UND and the community of Grand Forks are NOT the same thing by lots of people.

You missed the "locally-tied" part.  UND has stressed that local relevance is one of their most cherished criteria.  Obviously none of the schools in your examples had such concerns when choosing a name.

"3. Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future." --Und Nickname Committee

BTW, if you really haven't seen an eagle around here you must not be looking up.

You missed the "locally-tied" part.  UND has stressed that local relevance is one of their most cherished criteria.  Obviously none of the schools in your examples had such concerns when choosing a name.

BTW, if you really haven't seen an eagle around here you must not be looking up.

"locally-tied" has zero to do exclusively with Grand Forks within the criteria despite the thoughts of many around here.

I'm only 5'8" and myopic..........could explain me missing all the eagles flying around the F-M area.

I don't mind Badlanders or Sodbusters, but they aren't in my top three.  One reason being is it's tough to shorten the nickname.  Your example of Cornhuskers is often shortened to Huskers.  Do we want to be know as the "Landers" or the "Busters?"  Not so much...

As I read that article initially I started thinking that Badlanders and Sodbusters weren't the worst things in the world and could grow on me.  But agree that they aren't in my top 3 either.