SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

no, but that doesn't mean you couldn't make something completely different. Alot of people didn't like the geometric Sioux logo, but when they made a different one it was pretty awesome.

Not a huge fan of flickertails, but I like it better than the majority of the stuff on the list (Force, Blizzard, Big Green, Etc). I would not be opposed to roughriders either.

I'm not saying they should use this particular logo, but clearly they could come up with something that does not resemble Goldy at all. Although, we would hardly be able to throw dead gophers on ice at hockey games anymore.

Nicknames_2.jpg?itok=xJ4F01Do

If I didn't loathe their hockey program, I would have no problem with Minnesota's nickname/logo/mascot.

Agreed, I was a huge gopher fan growing up. Huge. Then I saw then light when I went to UND; now I cannot stand their hockey program. I've finally found a middle ground where I tend to pull for them in football, and at least watch them in basketball. Wrestling too.

Why does Flickertails even get mentioned?

Because it is a nickname of the state.

Given that thinking, let's just instead use the better state nickname:

Roughriders. They could come up with a pretty cool logo.

Being the flickertails again would not be good. I could live with Roughriders

Not a huge fan of flickertails, but I like it better than the majority of the stuff on the list (Force, Blizzard, Big Green, Etc). 

If you would have asked me when this process began, I never thought I'd be accepting of Flickertails.  But given how horrible most of the nicknames sound when you see them on a list, Flickertails suddenly doesn't seem so bad.  I still don't like it because of the Gopher connection, but it's better than 90% of the other suggestions.  I think I could reluctantly live with it, which is more than I can say for the vast majority of suggestions.  At this point, "reluctantly live with it" is the best I can hope for because I can't really embrace any of these.

Please not Flickertails.

Please not Flickertails.

Please not Flickertails.

How does this name get ANY support?  You know, I slog through each miserable day filled with failure and disappointment; the realities of adult working life.  I don't ask for much in return.  A clean, quiet home, cold beer, and just one TV tuned to the NHL playoffs instead of Dance Moms, Beverly Hills Moms, some a-hole chef who screams at idiot junior chefs, some a-hole supermodel yelling at chubby people vomiting on the stairmaster, horrific plastic surgery addicts, former Olympians changing to old grandmas, stupid twenty somethings doing stupid things, and worst of all, Major League Baseball.

And then I have to come to North Dakota based web media and see one of the WORST names in sporting history actually gain traction to replace the BEST name in sporting history.  Please, someone provide a link to something somewhere on the web that actually makes some f'ing sense.  Please convince me that logic, reason, sanity, and goodness still exist in the human condition.

I'll start.  This.

taz

Totally agree!  Why would we go back to a name that was already replaced once before?  Just to replace it again in the future? 

No nickname is the best option.  While I agree that a side benifit to no name is we can still consider ourselves the Sioux, my reasoning for no name is to remove some over reaching power from the NCAA.  No name = no power.

If I didn't loathe their hockey program, I would have no problem with Minnesota's nickname/logo/mascot.

My problem with Minnesota's "logo" is they don't seem to have one for the teams nickname: Golden Gophers.

Instead they have a drawings of a cartoon character/mascot in a bunch of different poses: holding a hockey stick, holding a football, leaning on a "M."

Personally I like one consistent logo. Preferablely one that doesn't look like anything from Saturday morning cartoons.

Being the flickertails again would not be good. I could live with Roughriders

I've been as staunchly against Roughriders as anyone on this board.  But I have to concede, when compared to the pile of garbage on that list, it doesn't seem horrible despite the Red River problem.  I still don't like it, but am warming.  It's funny how all the atrocious suggestions make even mildly acceptable nicknames seem good.

My problem with Minnesota's "logo" is they don't seem to have one for the teams nickname: Golden Gophers.

Instead they have a drawings of a cartoon character/mascot in a bunch of different poses: holding a hockey stick, holding a football, leaning on a "M."

Personally I like one consistent logo. Preferablely one that doesn't look like anything from Saturday morning cartoons.

I'm sure UND could and would make the Flickertails logo to be as different from the Gophers logo as possible.  They'd probably do a good job too.  But at the end of the day, it's still essentially a gopher.  You just can't get around that fact.

• Upvote 1

If you would have asked me when this process began, I never thought I'd be accepting of Flickertails.  But given how horrible most of the nicknames sound when you see them on a list, Flickertails suddenly doesn't seem so bad.  I still don't like it because of the Gopher connection, but it's better than 90% of the other suggestions.  I think I could reluctantly live with it, which is more than I can say for the vast majority of suggestions.  At this point, "reluctantly live with it" is the best I can hope for because I can't really embrace any of these.

Exactly!

Names I could live with:

Fighting Sioux

University of North Dakota/UND/NoDaks

Nokota/Nokes

Flickertails

Roughriders

Names that should be immediately forgotten:

Big Green

Blizzard

Storm

Thunder

Force

Ermines

Northstars

Fighting Stars

Stars

Sun Dogs

Did Nokota/Nokes or Outlaws make the next round of cuts?

Charging Nokotas made it, but not just the name "Nokota".  I think it is smart to throw in an adjective before the name to break up a potential North Dakota Nokota name.  We were once "fighting" so why not "Charging".  Even then the Charging Nokota could be shortened to just Nokota, or just Nokes.  So when you really think about it, from a marketing standpoint, This option actually gives you potentiall 3 names to market.  Might play a factor.

Charging Nokotas made it, but not just the name "Nokota".  I think it is smart to throw in an adjective before the name to break up a potential North Dakota Nokota name.  We were once "fighting" so why not "Charging".  Even then the Charging Nokota could be shortened to just Nokota, or just Nokes.  So when you really think about it, from a marketing standpoint, This option actually gives you potentiall 3 names to market.  Might play a factor.

They only made it to the G's so Nokota's hasn't been officially excluded even though it didn't make the rough draft cut.  I believe that was one of the names that the reasoning it didn't make the original cut was going to be looked into, as was Roughriders.  Nokes and Charging Nokotas (as you stated) made the first cut, which means there was likely some sort of confusion somewhere (possibly with the word Nakotas).

Honestly, it's as good as anything out there right now...

Names I could live with:

Fighting Sioux

University of North Dakota/UND/NoDaks

Nokota/Nokes

Flickertails

Roughriders

Names that should be immediately forgotten:

Big Green

Blizzard

Storm

Thunder

Force

Ermines

Northstars

Fighting Stars

Stars

Sun Dogs

I agree with your sentiment and your lists.  The only other one that's starting to grow on me, based on how many horrible names there are, is Cavalry.

• Upvote 4

No @$!%#& animals!!!!

• Upvote 1

Roughriders. They could come up with a pretty cool logo.

Until a distant great-great-great grand cousin decides he/she doesn't like Teddy Roosevelt being "honored" for killing Spanish soldiers and asks the NCAA to add "Roughriders" to the "hostile and abusive" list...

Wind

Sleet

Ice

my lack of knowledge of physics makes me wonder if there is a nickname available along that thought?

The words you used are meteorological. 

Physics?

Force. < vomit > 

Vector ... no wait, might be confused for an arrow ... < facepalm > 

Until a distant great-great-great grand cousin decides he/she doesn't like Teddy Roosevelt being "honored" for killing Spanish soldiers and asks the NCAA to add "Roughriders" to the "hostile and abusive" list...

Do that and to be consistent the NCAA would then have to dump MInutemen, Volunteer, Cowboys, and ... 

No. Wait. I said "NCAA" and "consistent" in the same sentence. Never mind. 

• Upvote 2

I'm sure UND could and would make the Flickertails logo to be as different from the Gophers logo as possible.  They'd probably do a good job too.  But at the end of the day, it's still essentially a gopher.  You just can't get around that fact.

I like it because it has prior tradition and is representative of the state.  I prefer Roughriders.  Charging Nakotas is one I am warming up to.  If we could use that logo somebody brought up earlier with the Nakotas, that would be a good selling point. 

Uh-oh ... that other name for the "ambling gait" of a Nokota is a problem ... ;)

The concept would be something like this ... but with a green eye. 

1684334.jpg

For those of you unsure what a "Poco" is, go listen to Mafia's iPod. :D 

I like it because it has prior tradition and is representative of the state.  I prefer Roughriders.  Charging Nakotas is one I am warming up to.  If we could use that logo somebody brought up earlier with the Nakotas, that would be a good selling point. 

Nokotas are horses.  Nakotas are members of a Sioux tribe.  Nakota would not be acceptable by the NCAA.