SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

It might be a bit hypocritical to continue yelling "Sioux suck" or "Sioux suck sh*t" to make fun of UND's old nickname too. I guarantee that that will go on for years though.

That would only be hypocritical for those who have complained about UND's use of that nickname. For anyone else it's merely rude and offensive.

We call NDSU "Aggies" because, well, the official name of the school is North Dakota State University of Agriculture and Applied Science. Aggies. Your old name. 

And you'll call us Flickertails ... hopefully because it's just our old, old name.  :crazy:

Hmmm, I've never actually heard anyone call NDSU "Aggies." Not sure what your point is.

No, that's not naïve at all. It really isn't necessary to yell insults at a sport event. That doesn't mean I expect it to stop.

Let me slow it down for you. The nastiness and hypocrisy associated with the UND-NDSU rivalry is not an anomaly in the world of college athletics. It is the norm in all great rivalries. That does not make it right. That is just the way it is. To wish that it should just go poof and be gone is one's prerogative but it is pretty naive, too. And to highlight a hypocrisy on one side while dismissing or ignoring one on the other is not just hypocritical, it is also disingenuous. This is fun!

Hmmm, I've never actually heard anyone call NDSU "Aggies." Not sure what your point is.

Yeah, it's sourced from Wikipedia, but surely the NDSU FB zealots keep it accurate:

The Bison fielded their first team in 1894 and were originally known as the NDAC Farmers. From the early 1900s to 1921, the North Dakota Agricultural College (Later renamed North Dakota State University) mascot was the Aggies.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota_State_Bison_football

Learn your school's history lad.

That would only be hypocritical for those who have complained about UND's use of that nickname. For anyone else it's merely rude and offensive.

I think it's hypocritical to think of yourself (not you personally) as a "good" fan, yet yell that kind of drivel at a football or basketball game against any opponent, not just UND.

What dear Rob forgets is that if UND was smart and expected such requests, the committee advisor's company may be buying domain names under contract for UND with the condition that UND gets them at the end of the contracted work. If that company has assisted in such matters in the past they probably clued UND in on such an approach and it's wisdom and benefits. 

Ergo, UND wouldn't own the names he and CT Marhula are asking about anyway. Nothing for a FOIA request to find. 

Hence, the damned if you do and damned if you don't nature of UND trying to be open and transparent.  Somebody just has to try and scoop every step of the process.

Anybody can do a WHOIS look-up, and spin any number of conspiracy theories about who is registering what and when.  My advice to them, www.getalife.com.  And if that one's taken, try www.getalifesports.com, www.UNDgetalife.com, www.getalife.net, www.getalife.us, or if all else fails, www.foffanddie.com.

• Upvote 4

We call NDSU "Aggies" because, well, the official name of the school is North Dakota State University of Agriculture and Applied Science. Aggies. Your old name. 

And you'll call us Flickertails ... hopefully because it's just our old, old name.  :crazy:

What makes me laugh is that Colorado State University students embrace the old name "Aggies".  Even though they are the Rams now, the kids there totally dig the name "Aggies".

022213_excitment-ht.jpg

The crowd, a lot of students there, love wearing the Aggies shirts with those fugly orange and green colors.  It's part of their heritage.  

But at Fargo, they hate that name.  It's probably because of low self-esteem.  They hate their history and wish people would forget.  

They got issues..   

Myself, I wouldn't mind being the Flickertails again.  Why not?  I'm proud of UND's heritage and tradition.  

Unlike those self-loathing folks at the College of Home Economics...

From the herald article on domain names...

This isn't quite the case with flickertails.com, Riedy said, which redirects to undsports.com. While it was originally assumed the university owned the name, Reidy said whoever owns it purchased it in August 2014 and remains anonymous.

As I said, anyone who owns a domain can make it redirect to a different site. Doesn't mean UND owns the name, doesn't mean UND doesn't.

Yeah, it's sourced from Wikipedia, but surely the NDSU FB zealots keep it accurate:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota_State_Bison_football

Learn your school's history lad.

I am quite aware of the history of the school. What I said is the I've never heard anyone call them that...present tense.

You can call NDSU the Aggies all you want. No one's going to get excited about it. Now, if UND proposed changing their name to Aggies that would be a bit different.

What makes me laugh is that Colorado State University students embrace the old name "Aggies".  Even though they are the Rams now, the kids there totally dig the name "Aggies".

The crowd, a lot of students there, love wearing the Aggies shirts with those fugly orange and green colors.  It's part of their heritage.  

But at Fargo, they hate that name.  It's probably because of low self-esteem.  They hate their history and wish people would forget.  

They got issues..   

Myself, I wouldn't mind being the Flickertails again.  Why not?  I'm proud of UND's heritage and tradition.  

Unlike those self-loathing folks at the College of Home Economics...

Who said NDSU hates being called the Aggies? UND's 100 year history of farming jeers and taunts reflect badly on UND, not on NDSU. 

You call NDSU what you want. You're the ones who look bad.

Who said NDSU hates being called the Aggies? UND's 100 year history of farming jeers and taunts reflect badly on UND, not on NDSU. 

You call NDSU what you want. You're the ones who look bad.

So using that same logic, NDSU should be incredibly ashamed for all the Sioux jeers and taunts?  Good thing they quit doing it when UND dropped the nickname...oh wait.