SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Blackheart: Why didn't you submit your avatar? 

Wait, wait wait ... you did, and it passed initial muster! 

Shepherds: German Shepherd logo; Intelligent, confident, courageous, and steady; strong, agile, well muscled, alert and full of life. Sounds like UND. 

You sly dog ... ;)

Actually, it was that very kernal of thought that started the whole Ermine movement.  As I mentioned in my suggestion to the clearly overmatched committee, it's not just a great mascot, but it's also delightfully Machiavellian.  

Now that Ermines is out of the running, can we please stop hearing about ermines?!! :)

As is Minnesota....

In fact their football team uses Ski-u-mah.....an Indian saying

ON THEIR HELMETS.

So in essence the once great and mighty UMtc is in violation of not only NCAA policy but by the rules of the university are forbidden to play with themselves....er is it play themselves, or itself..

I'm confused.

Ski U Mah is not an Indian saying.  It is a made up term that was created by the U of M Rugby captain in 1894.  He thought he heard some Indians yelling Sky yoo after winning canoe races, and assumed that it was a word for victory.  They added mah to make it easy to rhyme in cheers (think rah).  It turns out that there are no Indian words that sound like sky yoo, and definitely none that mean victory or anything close.  The entire term is made up, so it isn't possible to be in violation of the NCAA policy if someone at the school made it up.

Blackheart: Why didn't you submit your avatar? 

Wait, wait wait ... you did, and it passed initial muster! 

Shepherds: German Shepherd logo; Intelligent, confident, courageous, and steady; strong, agile, well muscled, alert and full of life. Sounds like UND. 

You sly dog ... ;)

Good description...sounds just like me. ;)

Sometimes I think we have to go back to "English Language 101" so, ... 

A nickname is "a name added to or substituted for the proper name of a person, place, etc., as in affection, ridicule, or familiarity." *

Proper name: University of North Dakota

Nickname: 

Maybe that's the solution: All that's in the "nickname" space right now is white space. 

University of North Dakota White Space

No, wait, clearly racist. 

* "nickname", Oxford English Dictionary (online ed.), retrieved September 26, 2011

With most names of any substance or relevance to the local area getting tossed out already, it appears "ridicule" is the part of this definition we will get to enjoy if a nickname is chosen.  

Go Big White Space Machine!

• Upvote 1

Ermines, ear mites. I'm not tracking why we should be another animal that scurries close to the ground. Half our rivals do that...Jacks, Badgers, Gophers. This name is not gaining traction with anyone. Just let it go.

• Upvote 2

Flickertails is a good nickname in theory.  It's one of the three nicknames of the State, it's unique, it sounds good.  While not ferocious, it has decent logo and mascot potential.  I think it would be a good nickname......IF the University of Minnesota was not the Gophers.  But since they are, I don't think Flickertails will work.  That's just the way it is.

Nodaks is the way to go. Dusting off this old moniker precludes having to assume an identity we have no tradition with and the name is unique and distinctive. It also is inclusive of the tribal members at Spirit Lake that supported retention of the old name

Flickertails is a good nickname in theory.  It's one of the three nicknames of the State, it's unique, it sounds good.  While not ferocious, it has decent logo and mascot potential.  I think it would be a good nickname......IF the University of Minnesota was not the Gophers.  But since they are, I don't think Flickertails will work.  That's just the way it is.

I agree.

So is Meadowlarks viable?  I don't think so.  

Please not Flickertails.

Please not Flickertails.

Please not Flickertails.

How does this name get ANY support?  You know, I slog through each miserable day filled with failure and disappointment; the realities of adult working life.  I don't ask for much in return.  A clean, quiet home, cold beer, and just one TV tuned to the NHL playoffs instead of Dance Moms, Beverly Hills Moms, some a-hole chef who screams at idiot junior chefs, some a-hole supermodel yelling at chubby people vomiting on the stairmaster, horrific plastic surgery addicts, former Olympians changing to old grandmas, stupid twenty somethings doing stupid things, and worst of all, Major League Baseball.

And then I have to come to North Dakota based web media and see one of the WORST names in sporting history actually gain traction to replace the BEST name in sporting history.  Please, someone provide a link to something somewhere on the web that actually makes some f'ing sense.  Please convince me that logic, reason, sanity, and goodness still exist in the human condition.

I'll start.  This.

taz

Ok, this is hilarious. but I have to say that while I prefer no nickname, If I had to choose one Flickertails is certainly not as bad as the majority of what is on that list. I'll take it over Storm, Force, Thunder, Big Green etc. At least with flickertails, they could come up with a pretty cool logo. That being said I'm all about no nickname. Also thought Nokota would a decent name, if need be.

Hypothetically speaking:

If, let's say, Force or Force of the North makes the final list.

Does that mean the University knew what name they wanted the whole time and made sure to do what they could to make it happen.

Or its easy to condition people to like something new after advertising and showing them it enough times.

Force of the North is second on the online herald poll behind Blackhawks. But it wouldnt be there if the University hadn't "sold" it to the general public. But now that general public seems to "like it."

If second theory is correct, shouldn't be hard for the general public to start liking a new nickname is a relatively pretty fast time frame.

So is Meadowlarks viable?  I don't think so.  

I don't think so either.  This is all subjective obviously, but I find Flickertails to be a much better nickname (in theory) than Meadowlarks.  It has history to UND and it's an official nickname of the state, and I think it sounds cool.  But again, because it's essentially a gopher, it won't work.  Meadowlarks brings nothing to the table in my opinion.

Why do you think you could make a fickertail into a cool logo.

You think the gophers have a cool logo?

no, but that doesn't mean you couldn't make something completely different. Alot of people didn't like the geometric Sioux logo, but when they made a different one it was pretty awesome.

Not a huge fan of flickertails, but I like it better than the majority of the stuff on the list (Force, Blizzard, Big Green, Etc). I would not be opposed to roughriders either.

• Upvote 1