SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Don't even know where to begin but what does Grand Forks have to do with any of this other than UND resides there???   The ND in UND is for North Dakota...not Grand Forks.  "other than RRHS"........you run into lots of Knights in GF?  Davies is the Eagles..........haven't seen one flying around Fargo in 18+ years.  North has the Spartans............never seen one in Fargo with the exception of maybe Halloween. 

There really needs to be some understanding that UND and the community of Grand Forks are NOT the same thing by lots of people.

Just as an aside, I saw a Bald Eagle flying near Hillsboro on my way back from Fargo a couple weeks ago.  I also see them in GF every now and then.  Can't say I see them in Fargo, as I do not live there, but there are some not far from there.

After reading this article I'm a fan of Badlanders! Was never on my list before, the only thing like already mentioned, what would be the short version for the "let's go ???????" chant?

Still my #1-#2 is Blackhawks and Fighting Hawks.

Imagine: a school known for it's world class aviation and flight training centers chooses "Badlanders" as it's nickname.  Could print it on all fixed wing aircraft in the fleet.  Would make for a hoot at the next NIFA SAFECON event.

taz

Imagine: a school known for it's world class aviation and flight training centers chooses "Badlanders" as it's nickname. Could print it on all fixed wing aircraft in the fleet. Would make for a hoot at the next NIFA SAFECON event.

taz

So the new nickname must compliment the flight training center?????

After reading this article I'm a fan of Badlanders! Was never on my list before, the only thing like already mentioned, what would be the short version for the "let's go ???????" chant?

Blanders???  

I always figured the new nickname would be bland, but I never thought I could literally be bland.  

Really like Badlanders or Sodbusters as names that are unique, and tie to the region.  If you think of Cornhuskers, it wouldn't sound great if it didn't have years behind it, but now it would sound strange if Nebraska was called anything else,  just like the Sioux. Would love to see them go with something unique that has many possibilities with imagery, I think both these would give us that.  Since Rough Riders seems so divisive, these would be next on my list. You could even use imagery of Teddy if you wanted, but someone could come up with a unique logo for Badlanders that would be "bad" in a good sense, and as someone has already pointed out, the Springsteen song is built for it. 

It might be a bit hypocritical to continue to make fun of NDSU's agricultural roots if you call yourselves the Sodbusters.

It might be a bit hypocritical to continue to make fun of NDSU's agricultural roots if you call yourselves the Sodbusters.

Thanks for the ethics lesson - you don't get it we make fun of SU agricultural roots because it's a part of the rivalry tradition - also I highly doubt that Sodbusters makes the final ballot but thanks for caring. 

Your fans probably shouldn't have made fun of and used racial slurs about UND's nickname all those years because they are actual people.   :silly:

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the ethics lesson - you don't get it we make fun of SU agricultural roots because it's a part of the rivalry tradition - also I highly doubt that Sodbusters makes the final ballot but thanks for caring. 

Umm, that's kinda the definition of hypocrisy. Saying one thing when you really believe something quite different.

I'd ask you to explain but I doubt you are capable - so you don't think the cheering tradition of EIEIEIO and playing "Old McDonald had a farm" (both of which are now politically incorrect and banned) aren't a part of the history of the rivalry? I grew up on a farm but in my student days I had no issue with having some fun with SU students mostly because we knew it bothered them. Of course in reality I realize the importance of agriculture to ND and to the US - but finding something to have some fun with is what makes it a rivalry. Thanks for caring about a rivalary that many down south claim no longer exists. 

I'd ask you to explain but I doubt you are capable - so you don't think the cheering tradition of EIEIEIO and playing "Old McDonald had a farm" (both of which are now politically incorrect and banned) aren't a part of the history of the rivalry? I grew up on a farm but in my student days I had no issue with having some fun with SU students mostly because we knew it bothered them. Of course in reality I realize the importance of agriculture to ND and to the US - but finding something to have some fun with is what makes it a rivalry. Thanks for caring about a rivalary that many down south claim no longer exists. 

Of course it's part of the history of the rivalry...an ugly part of it. But, part of the rivalry or not, using that nickname would be hypocritical. Not that I expect UND to use it.

Of course it's part of the history of the rivalry...an ugly part of it. But, part of the rivalry or not, using that nickname would be hypocritical.

Neither side owns the high ground on hypocrisy.  It's very mutual part of any great rivalry. Next.

Neither side owns the high ground on hypocrisy.  It's very mutual part of any great rivalry. Next.

I don't agree that hypocrisy and hateful language is a mutual part of any great rivalry. Certainly not a necessary part.

Of course it's part of the history of the rivalry...an ugly part of it. But, part of the rivalry or not, using that nickname would be hypocritical. Not that I expect UND to use it.

If you think that's "ugly" then I take it you haven't been around too many rivalry games across the country...pretty mild in the grand scheme of things...

• Upvote 1

We call NDSU "Aggies" because, well, the official name of the school is North Dakota State University of Agriculture and Applied Science. Aggies. Your old name. 

And you'll call us Flickertails ... hopefully because it's just our old, old name.  :crazy:

It might be a bit hypocritical to continue to make fun of NDSU's agricultural roots if you call yourselves the Sodbusters.

It might be a bit hypocritical to continue yelling "Sioux suck" or "Sioux suck sh*t" to make fun of UND's old nickname too. I guarantee that that will go on for years though.