SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

It is "fans" like you that are holding this entire institution and its programs back with your "hockey only" rhetoric. While NDSU wins FB titles and goes to the NCAA tournament in MBB, we sit around and fight losing battles like this over and over and over again, even with the knowledge that we cannot and won't win. We fought the good fight and lost, so it's time to move on and start building Division I programs (not just hockey) that everyone can point to with a sense of pride.

But if that isn't good enough for you, you are more than welcome to get off the bandwagon. The rest of us will proceed to enjoy the ride upward and forward.

Oh please take a much deserved break from the fight you have fought "over and over again". You must be sooo exhausted?! Maybe you and Kelly should take a bit of an R&R over in France at the Versailles you old warrior you...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Oh please take a much deserved break from the fight you have fought "over and over again". You must be sooo exhausted?! Maybe you and Kelly should take a bit of an R&R over in France at the Versailles you old warrior you...

Look Junior, I am as big of a critic of Kelley and Faison as you will find.  But you are simply wrong on this issue.  Deal with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You guys are trying to justify "Charging Nokotas", whatever that is, but I bet you don't realize that it's being pushed behind the scenes by Master Card.  Your logo is going to be a horse standing at the checkout stand of Wal-Mart.

Yes. With a cart overflowing with hair care products.  It boggles the mind.

taz

You guys are trying to justify "Charging Nokotas", whatever that is, but I bet you don't realize that it's being pushed behind the scenes by Master Card. Your logo is going to be a horse standing at the checkout stand of Wal-Mart.

Jesus palomino, are you still here?

How soon people forget that Tim O'Keefe, letterwinner, member of a three (four?) generation UND family, the man who stood in St. Cloud's "no use of the S-word press box" and mic checked with "Fighting S----, Fighting S----, FIGHTING S----!!!", former Exec VP of the UND Alumni Association, ultimately publicly stated for the good of UND the name had to be dropped and that UND had to move on from it.

I guess he surrendered.

Oh, and I guess Earl Strinden (for reference for the older generation) surrendered also.

My goodness people, the Governor of the State of North Dakota intervened and it mattered not.

• Upvote 3

Yeah the good fight ....Right - Ralph is rolling over in his grave

Further to the point of lamenting my pathetic aging situation...

...then I see the proposed "Charging Nokota" logo and wish it all to end instantly, like I'm with Tony Soprano and his family at the diner with the once inspirational and now incredibly haunting Journey tune playing as soundtrack to my demise. I haven't seen that much horse hair 'flow since my last Broney convention. "Charging Nokota" is so gaddawful bad I'm beginning to think this is all an elaborate scheme by Jerry York to further inflict pain and suffering on Sioux fans beyond the usual Frozen Four trouncings.

I can't agonize enough over the list of horrific names still "under consideration." Drillers? Energy? Arctic Blaze? That last one just doesn't even make any sense. And, of course there's the cunning subtlety of Bison Slayers. Too clever by one one-hundredth. Yes, I get it, the Fighting Sioux were Bison Slayers. Genius. It's just so bad it's good; that sort of thing. And... honestly I can hardly type this... "Aurora"??? Wha. Tha. Fa? We can all dress in creepy 70's tie dye and cue up the 5th Dimension on the quadraphonic.

Let's bring it back to base camp fellow explorers... There's no other option than just "North Dakota." You know it. I know it. We know it. It's the only way to avoid a complete unhealthy backlash from all of the hearty, God-fearing, gun-toting, red-state, tough-as-nails, ruggedly individualistic and fantastically awesome members of Fighting Sioux nation who, despite their vast numbers in the majority, have no time or inclination to post their whimsical BS on this web site.

taz is here to help

Thank you for this! A couple of suggested names got me interested until I realized that it was due to fatigue of this tiring process. Nothing will do unless we can be the Fighting Sioux! Since Fighting Sioux is not an option, nothing (no nickname) is the best option. There is no better way to honor our lost beloved nickname while thumbing our noses at the NCAA. If we have to have a nickname, North Dakota would work! Beats any lame ass name being thrown out there, unless you like Spirit, Sundogs, or Force.

• Upvote 2

But nobody is entitled to be exempt from criticism for expressing said opinion. And if someone expresses an opinion that might hurt UND and it's mission, I will criticize it. Got it?

Whoa...you told him, big boy!

"Might hurt UND and its mission" is an opinion, not a fact! Let's not forget that part either..

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Whoa...you told him, big boy!

"Might hurt UND and its mission" is an opinion, not a fact! Let's not forget that part either..

So having the Sioux name and being on the naughty list wouldn't hurt? How many teams wouldn't play us or in SDSU's case threaten not to play us? I guess hosting football playoff games are overrated...how many titles would NDSU would've won if all their playoff games were not in the Fargodome? But as long as we have the Sioux name and logo right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nokota was the name I submitted, so obviously I am a big fan of it.  So whether it's Nokota, Charging Nokota, or whatever.  Any variation of it I am a fan of.  Someone on here doesn't want animals as our new nickname.  Well I would take an animal over Force, Blizzard, Flame, etc any day.  Nokota fits what I think is the most importaant criteria the commitee laid out.  It's unique.  I want UND to be the only one with the nickname it chooses.  We had that with Fighting Sioux.  We can have that with Nokota.  Compared to all the other ones out there so far, this one has to be one of the best options.   Like I said, I am a little biased! 

I agree fully.    Nokota has always been my first choice, ever since PCM suggested it years ago and Charging Nokota works just as well.

But nobody is entitled to be exempt from criticism for expressing said opinion.  And if someone expresses an opinion that might hurt UND and it's mission, I will criticize it.  Got it?

Wow, when you say it like that you sound really important. Got it? :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

But nobody is entitled to be exempt from criticism for expressing said opinion.

Until someone posts something criticizing your opinion, at which point the readers will be treated to a 34 paragraph essay on how your opinion won't be hushed followed by "end rant." ?
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

So having the Sioux name and being on the naughty list wouldn't hurt? I guess hosting football playoff games are overrated...

Groan...so when UND hosts one home football playoff game in 2022, all the change-the-name folks can point at the rest of us and say "See? Told ya!"

UND gets the shaft in hockey come NCAA time (Marco Hunt)...the folks in Indianapolis will make damn sure the school doesn't host a home playoff game anytime soon too.

Groan...so when UND hosts one home football playoff game in 2022, all the change-the-name folks can point at the rest of us and say "See? Told ya!"

UND gets the shaft in hockey come NCAA time (Marco Hunt)...the folks in Indianapolis will make damn sure the school doesn't host a home playoff game anytime soon too.

Had we kept the name there wouldn't have been any Marco Hunt scenario at all.  Fighting Sioux=No Fargo Regional=No Frozen Four.  

Until someone posts something criticizing your opinion, at which point the readers will be treated to a 34 paragraph essay on how your opinion won't be hushed followed by "end rant."

Now that's funny right there.

Had we kept the name there wouldn't have been any Marco Hunt scenario at all. Fighting Sioux=No Fargo Regional=No Frozen Four.

There would not have been a hosted regional in Fargo, but they still would have been in one!

Also why wouldn't they have been in the FF?

They would've done it all, just without the Sioux jersey on!

Why do you and others think this?

Had we kept the name there wouldn't have been any Marco Hunt scenario at all. Fighting Sioux=No Fargo Regional=No Frozen Four.

Fighting Sioux + No Fargo Regional + No Frozen Four = no more broken hearts every spring.     :)

• Upvote 1