SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

This year will be all about defense and goaltending. There are some guys that can score, but I see the Sioux in a lot of 3-2, 2-0 hockey games. With two juniors jumping ship it kind of makes me wonder about a guys like Blood and Eidsness staying. Very glad they're staying though. :blush:

But having very good defensive forwards is also key, especially in the game Hak coaches. The Sioux will lose a lot of defense by virtue of the forwards they lost.

Well our top 6 should be as good as anyone, but many freshman that need to step up. We should have the best Goaltending and Defense in the nation. Defensive forwards will be key.

Top 6?

Kristo

Knight

Grimaldi

Miller

Nelson

Rodwell?

Regulars:

Rowney

Lamoureux

?

Fill in:

Dicken

MacMillan

St. Clair

Parks

O' Donnell

Di Puma

Blood - Forbert

MacWilliam - Simpson

Gleason - Mattson

Fill in:

Hill

Panzarella

Senkbeil

Goaltending

Dell

Eidsness

Maris

Love it if you are right but I don't see Rodwell in the top 6. Rowney, maybe, though. I like Rodwell and it would be great if he stepped up to that level for next year. I just see Rowney as more offensively capable at this point.

Love it if you are right but I don't see Rodwell in the top 6. Rowney, maybe, though. I like Rodwell and it would be great if he stepped up to that level for next year. I just see Rowney as more offensively capable at this point.

Agreed, but I see Rowney at center this year... so I'd slot him in on the third line.

I think it's a stretch to call UND's top six forwards as good as anyone's. Two juniors, a sophomore with a ton of promise but who isn't there yet, and two freshmen who are question marks until they prove it. That's five, and we don't even know who the sixth might be. I'm excited to see it play out, but I'm not thinking one of the nation's top forward groups. (That was last year.)

In a comparison between Rodwell and Rowney, Rowney has been getting much more consideration by fans this off season for sure. Even brad at the Herald identified Rowney as a step up player in his live chat a week ago.

I disagree. I Think between the two, Rodwell looked more offensively effective as last season went on. He had some moments in some games where I thought he created some good plays with his speed and positioning.

Rowney seemed to me to be more of a physical forechecking forward. He was solid but did not create offense.

Regarding the under-appreciated blog post by Brad, and plenty of replies about Jason Gregoire, I felt the strong urge to comment.

Jason was one of the best two-way players UND has had in the last 10 years IMO. A Former Sioux that was also very good at being a two-way player, Travis Zajac. I think the die-hard Sioux fans that may not have true proper hockey knowledge may not truly understand Jason's game. He was by far the most consistent player on last year's squad in the defensive end and offensive end. Not only that, he was remarkable on the penalty kill and had his moments on the power play. What truly stands out about Jason's game is the fact that his hockey IQ is pretty impressive. He understands the game. In addition, he is a threat along the boards and protects the puck extremely well. He's also very strong on his skates and is willing to make a hit and take a hit. I remember plenty of times along the boards in the defensive end zone, Jason would layout the opposition. Another great part of Jason's game is his restlessness to skate the puck in the dirty areas in front of the net and generate offense. People get caught up in the year Frattin had and deservingly so, no one would of pictured Frattin playing the way he did and the level of sustainability he played with. With Jason, he was my dark-horse Hobey-Baker nominee prior to the start of lasts season. He ended up scoring 25 goals while missing 7 games due to concussion. While that is truly impressive, I can't imagine how many goals he would of had, had he buried his scoring chances at the start of the season. I remember Jason having plenty of scoring chances and even a few breakaways at the start of the year and I said to myself, if this kid could finish a little more, he'll put up 30 goals this year. He also had some none-finishing moments at the end of the year, I recall a few chances at the Final Five and National tournament and was just in awe of what he was doing. Had he finished some of those plays/scoring chances, those moments could of been some spectacular goals, YouTube worthy.

With that long rant, Jason is a first class person, a great two-way player and is/was VERY under-appreciated for his scoring abilities. He dominated the collegiate game and is ready for the next level in every facet of the game. He will play in the NHL, but my god I hope it's not with the New York Islander's organization!

• Upvote 1

Will the Sioux add one more forward recruit for this fall?

There are 14 forwards and 9 defensemen on the roster now, with one of the defensemen named "Joe Gleason", and he had some nice games at forward last year. And wasn't the word last off season that Ryan Hill would have been more likely to see the ice at forward than defense as well?

I'd pondered before if they'd bring in a 2012 recruit early (Matteau, Koules). I really don't expect that.

And bringing in a project now only tightens up a roster that has a chance to have very little turnover a year from now as only Eidsness, Blood, and Lamoureux are seniors.

Hak ran (what felt like) a short roster a couple years back to leave himself manuvering room for the following season.

I'm wondering if that won't be the approach he takes again.

In an effort to be "earth-friendly" I'm choosing to recycle portions of this 2005 post. :)

And now consider that you probably don't want many lines with two freshman forwards ... . Working around that could be really tough considering 7 of the 15 are freshmen.

You normally want a line with a playmaker, a scorer, and a boardman (somebody who always wins the puck along the boards). Some refer to those three as a setter, a netter, and a getter. Get the puck along the boards, set up the play, and net it home.

And now toss in the unspoken reality: How much do any of us know about the incoming guys besides what we've read? ...

What the moral of this story is is this: Speculate and theorize and hypothesize until you are blue in the face. Hey, it's fun. I do it too. But most lines come about because of the intangibles like "chemistry" and similar thought and anticipation processes amongst players on the ice. You don't find out about those until you roll a few pucks out onto the sheet and let 'em play together.

Knight and Nelson will be the top two centers (per Hak) so Rowney to 3rd line.

My Guess at a lineup for next year

Grimaldi Knight Kristo

Miller Nelson Rodwell

Dickin Rowney O'Donnell

St.Clair Lamoureux MacMillan

Di Puma Parks Hill

Blood Forbort

MacWilliam Simpson

Mattson Gleason

Panzarella Senkbeil

Dell

Eidsness

Maris

Hill is a defenseman.

Although I like Dickin, I think Parks will replace him in the lineup MOST nights, though not all.

I'd also put Lammy on the third line center. I know that moves Rowney to the fourth line, but... I think experience on the fourth line would be good... assuming Rowney does in fact continue at Center.

If he played wing, I'd love to see a Rowney-Lammy-St. Clair/Rodwell line.

------

Here's my thoughts on Rowney vs. Rodwell.

I think Rowney, at this time, is more polished giving him a more favorable impression regarding his offensive abilities. So, in the short term, yeah, I can see Rowney being more valuable than Rodwell on offensive lines. However, Rodwell is a big guy with something few big guys really possess: Explosive speed. He's no Watkins or Kristo or whomever, but for a BIG guy, he's very fast and explosive in getting from a stop to full speed.

Rodwell, like Nelson, could really use filling out in the frame as, again like Nelson, they seem to be too easily taken off the puck for guys their size.

So, right away, Rowney gets the nod offensively but by January, I suspect Rodwell will the one people are talking about in comparison (assuming no sophomore slump for Rodwell and both Rodwell and Rowney remain healthy).

You've touched on the real issue. You don't compare Rowney/Rodwell just like you wouldn't compare Malone/Frattin. Different styles.

The fairer comparisons would be Rowney to Malone (big centers) and Rodwell to Frattin (big framed wingers with speed and good shots).

Since wild guessing is in vogue ...

Knight with MacMillan and O'Donnell (the two Penticton freshmen): Knight and two guys out of the BCHL will blend. It's a Canadian-style thing. Knight will cover up the defensive mistakes the freshmen will make.

Nelson with Kristo and Rodwell: Rodwell for the toughness (looking out for Nelson) and to have someone keep up with Kristo's speed. Nelson sets it all up.

Rowney with Miller and Grimaldi (the two US NTDP guys): Rowney is the "getter" in this classic "Getter, Setter (Grimaldi), Shooter (Miller)" line; plus, Rowney has the edge to make sure no one takes liberties with smallish Grimalid.

Lammy with Dickin and (someone's going to have to earn it): We'll see Lamoureux at center until the coaches are sure Grimaldi understands his responsibilities on both ends of the rink. Initially it may be (21 year old) Di Puma until St. Clair and Parks show they can play a total game in the WCHA.

Hill is a defenseman.

Although I like Dickin, I think Parks will replace him in the lineup MOST nights, though not all.

I'd also put Lammy on the third line center. I know that moves Rowney to the fourth line, but... I think experience on the fourth line would be good... assuming Rowney does in fact continue at Center.

If he played wing, I'd love to see a Rowney-Lammy-St. Clair/Rodwell line.

------

I think Rowney, at this time, is more polished giving him a more favorable impression regarding his offensive abilities. So, in the short term, yeah, I can see Rowney being more valuable than Rodwell on offensive lines. However, Rodwell is a big guy with something few big guys really possess: Explosive speed. He's no Watkins or Kristo or whomever, but for a BIG guy, he's very fast and explosive in getting from a stop to full speed.

Rodwell, like Nelson, could really use filling out in the frame as, again like Nelson, they seem to be too easily taken off the puck for guys their size.

So, right away, Rowney gets the nod offensively but by January, I suspect Rodwell will the one people are talking about in comparison (assuming no sophomore slump for Rodwell and both Rodwell and Rowney remain healthy).

Well maybe I am seeing Rodwell's potential before others, after all I did say Fratten was going to be a Hobey candidate before last season. :silly:

I'll simply say this about Rodwell, From the group of returning forwards he is my pick for the biggest suprise next year. (with an honorable mention going to Lammy)

I'll simply say this about Rodwell, From the group of returning forwards he is my pick for the biggest suprise next year. (with an honorable mention going to Lammy)

The team is going to need a couple of guys to step up their games this year the way Corin Knight did last year.

Well maybe I am seeing Rodwell's potential before others, after all I did say Fratten was going to be a Hobey candidate before last season. :silly:

I expect big things out of both Rodwell and Nelson next year. I think having a offseason in the weightroom and a year of college hockey under their belts will really help them. I expect both to have breakout years.

I am with you on this! I remind the other guys in our wcha fantasy draft about them mocking me and laughing when I took Frattin with the first overall pick this year.

I think Rowney will have a career very similar to Malone while Rodwell will develop into a Watkins or Porter type player with the potential to possibly approach Frattin.

I expect big things out of both Rodwell and Nelson next year. I think having a offseason in the weightroom and a year of college hockey under their belts will really help them. I expect both to have breakout years.

Nelson better put some more meat on his bones, hopefully he adds about 20 lbs of muscle this summer...he was getting bounced around a bit at the end of last year and the Sioux will need his services more than ever this year!!

As long as we're picking most improved for next season I'll throw my hat into the ring. I think Gleason will have a great season. Per Brad it sounds like Gleason will play defense for the most of next season, but I think he'll be a regular in the lineup and put up somewhere near 20 points (with a lot of those coming on the power play). Twenty points may be a bit of a stretch but I think he's capable of being an impact player.

In the Rodwell vs. Rowney comparison, I think Rodwell has the bigger impact next season. Although Rowney should have a good season too. :blush: