SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

Ryan Hill is transferring to UW-Superior

Practicing with one of the best teams in Division I mens hockey was a positive for Ryan Hill, yet he wanted to play. So after two years at North Dakota, the defenseman from Hermantown says hes transferred to Wisconsin-Superior and will be available to skate for the Yellowjackets this winter

To practice with our team every day stepped up my game and improved my skills, Hill, 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, said this week. But things just didnt work out for me. From the looks of it, I realized I wasnt going to get as much playing time as Id like. I needed to look somewhere else.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/203830/group/Sports/

Bill Plaschke on ESPN's Around the Horn scored the most points and got his 30 seconds of "Face Time" awarded every show, and spent it talking about UND and the nickname. It was cool, until he said we need to change the "racist nickname".

L.A. Times feature on Derek Forbort at L.A. Kings Development Camp

Hextall knows what Forbort faces at North Dakota: Hextall's son Brett played three seasons there before signing with the Phoenix Coyotes. Hextall visited the campus for the last parents' weekend and hoped to monitor Forbort's progress but Forbort was battling mononucleosis at the time.

It's a great program and they develop hockey players," Hextall said.

Forbort plans to stay in college two or three years "and see where it takes me from there," he said Tuesday. "The Kings are happy with where I am at North Dakota. It's a great school for developing guys."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-kings-development-camp-20110713,0,6047849.story

Quick question for the roster buffs out there. UND is bring ten players in next season (7 Forwards, 3 Defensemen). With the loss of the senior class, Cichy, Bruno, Hill, Gregs, and Hextall, what does the Roster look like for next season as far as numbers go?

Thanks. :)

EDIT* Asking this because I know I've forgotten someone who is leaving or forgot to add a player that might be coming in.

Here is a story on Brock Nelson

Nice quote. It's always good to hear about how well UND is developing players.

"Brock looks like a totally different player. That's what happens when you're that size. He's got a long way to continue at North Dakota, but he's put on some muscle, he's put it on the right way. His stride looks stronger. He looks stronger on the puck, even after only one day when I've seen him on the ice. He's making a lot of strides." -- NY Islanders head coach Jack Capuano

OK so losing Miller (as well as Gregoire) like we did really stings, but we should still have a solid team by the end of the season. I would go so far to say that a top six of Kristo- Knight-Grimaldi, Rodwell-Nelson-Rowney might be one of the best top 6 forward lines in the nation. Add the potentially best defense and goaltending and we have a shot... :)

OK so losing Miller (as well as Gregoire) like we did really stings, but we should still have a solid team by the end of the season. I would go so far to say that a top six of Kristo- Knight-Grimaldi, Rodwell-Nelson-Rowney might be one of the best top 6 forward lines in the nation. Add the potentially best defense and goaltending and we have a shot... :)

Hear, hear.

We won't see the prolific offensive scoring that we were used to seeing last season but I think our offense should still be pretty solid.

Hear, hear.

We won't see the prolific offensive scoring that we were used to seeing last season but I think our offense should still be pretty solid.

With the defense and goaltending the Sioux have back goal scoring won't need to be as prolific as last year.I see alot of 3-1,2-1,and 3-2 type games for the first half of the year after that the scoring should pick up a bit.

With the defense and goaltending the Sioux have back goal scoring won't need to be as prolific as last year.I see alot of 3-1,2-1,and 3-2 type games for the first half of the year after that the scoring should pick up a bit.

We hope! As prolific with the talent we have had at getting shots per game in the 30-40 range the last few years you still have Hak's recent team history of scoring about 3.1 GPG. With any kind of struggling newcomers that could go lower making the D and G very important especially early in the season as you say. Hak's teams in my opinion will not ever be huge scoring machines.

Every year we wonder how we are going to soldier on after the seniors are gone and the juniors good enough to do so make the jump, and every year some younger guys capitalize on the opportunity to show everybody why they were good enough to make this team in the first place. Don't get me wrong we lost some very good players from last year but we have some guys ready to step up and take the leadership positions on the team. Plus, we still have the best goalie in the NCAA, thank you Dell for staying another season!

I'm not concerned about our goaltending or our defensemen either but it takes more than 3 to keep the puck out of the net...it also takes forwards committed to the defensive zone....thats why players like cichy had a hard time staying in the lineup.....it also helps when you can put 30-40 shots a game on the other teams goalie....defending your own zone is real easy when your 200 feet away from it....how successfull the sioux will be this season will depend on how many forwards we have that can contribute not only in the offensive zone but also the defensive zone

Goalies (3):

Eidsness, Dell, Maris

Defense (8):

Blood, MacWilliam, Gleason, Forbort, Simpson, Mattson*, Panzarella*, Senkbeil*

Forwards (14**):

Lamoureux, Rowney, Kristo, Knight, Rodwell, Nelson, Dickin, Parks*, O