SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

We seem a little thin at Forward. 11 + 14 = 25...

I don't know..

10-11 - we had 15 forwards + 2 defensemen/forwards + 10 others = 27......Dickin wasn't eligible until January, which takes us to 26 and we had an extra defensemen since Chay stayed.

09-10 - we had 15 forwards + 11 others = 26....... This was the year that Fratts came back in January...so the first half, we had 25 players...also Chay didn't play in the second half, which kept us at 25

08-09 - we had 14 forwards + 1 defenseman/forward + 10 others = 25

07-08 - we had 14 forwards + 1 defenseman/forward + 10 others = 25

06-07 - we had 14 forwards + 10 others + 1 forward who didn't play (Shea Hamilton) = 25

05-06 - we had 15 forwards + 12 others = 26........This being the year that Robbie was listed on the roster, but didn't play....so we had 25 players who were eligible to play.

04-05 - we had 14 forwards + 11 others = 25

So, in theory...Hak consistently only has around 25 players on his teams...with around 14 forwards.

• Upvote 1

The Sioux have been pretty blessed the past couple of years with defensemen that have been able to play forward (Marto, Gleason, Simpson) and Forwards that have been able to drop back and help out defensively (Davidson). I'm sure it will be no different this year. I could see Gleason getting his fair share of looks at forward this next season if he doesn't make the top six defensemen. I don't think we'll see Simpson play any Forward next season, as he'll likely be a top 4 guy on the blue line.

I think that some other freshmen will surprise UND fans next year, not just Grimoldi. I think UND is bringing in enough talent that even if the first half of the season may be rough, the second half will be quite interesting.

Agreed.

I've heard great things about MacMillan, O'Donnell, and Parks at forward and Mattson at defense.

I think a couple of those guys will surprise and possibly provide some good offensive spark to the 3rd/4th line.

Agreed.

I've heard great things about MacMillan, O'Donnell, and Parks at forward and Mattson at defense.

I think a couple of those guys will surprise and possibly provide some good offensive spark to the 3rd/4th line.

Right on. Some players are recovering from injuries, but the cool thing here is that the players we have coming in are quite likely 3 or 4 year players.

• Upvote 1

Right on. Some players are recovering from injuries, but the cool thing here is that the players we have coming in are quite likely 3 or 4 year players.

+1

Completely agree. Guys like Malone, Trupp, Genoway, LaPoint, Frattin, Marto....you get my point. As Freshman they take their lumps a little bit, but by the time they are seniors you've got yourself a group of experienced hockey players who have been there done that.

Hak's teams in my opinion will not ever be huge scoring machines.

Not to mix facts with opinion, but I'm pretty sure the Sioux have been 1 or 2 in scoring offense in the WCHA every year since hak took over... and didn't we have the leading goal scorer in the nation last year? ;) I actually find myself falling into this same thought process every year when we have a bad game or two... but I think I am comparing todays college game with the game of yesteryear when scoring what much higher overall. We will NEVER see scoring like the Hrkac circus day in college hockey agaiin, but maybe with the new league and new officials (thank goodness) we will see less clutch and grab, and more skill and scoring.

I'm still not all that concerned with our offense. Hak's system has been proven to work... we just need it to happen at the right time in the playoffs and we're in like Flynn.

Anyways, my main concern is offense from the point, especially 5 on 5. I know I'm being redundant but...

Genoway and Marto are gone. LaPoint is gone as well.

What I feel we are missing is offensive defensemen. Sure, Forbort has the skill set. Gleason does too. But really... is Gleason going to play D or Forward this year?

I see that defensively, we're going to be just fine. MacWilliam, Blood, and all will lead the way in that department and I hear Mattson is no slouch in his own end either.

This leaves Forbort. So, I see a lot resting on him this year.

Every season surprises me on something... like how much offense we've been able to generate short handed, as an example. So I expect to be surprised somewhere along the line. Hopefully it will be in this category and in a positive manner.

I'm still not all that concerned with our offense. Hak's system has been proven to work... we just need it to happen at the right time in the playoffs and we're in like Flynn.

Anyways, my main concern is offense from the point, especially 5 on 5. I know I'm being redundant but...

What I feel we are missing is offensive defensemen. Sure, Forbort has the skill set. Gleason does too. But really... is Gleason going to play D or Forward this year?

I see that defensively, we're going to be just fine. MacWilliam, Blood, and all will lead the way in that department and I hear Mattson is no slouch in his own end either.

Every season surprises me on something... like how much offense we've been able to generate short handed, as an example. So I expect to be surprised somewhere along the line. Hopefully it will be in this category and in a positive manner.

You can't replace a guy like Genoway.......gosh I'm going to miss Chay......If its any of those guys my guess would be Dillon Simpson. He got a little bit of time on the power play last season, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him thrown into the fire.

I don't think you will see much of Gleason at forward unless we have a bunch of injuries and he needs to step in. I see him as being a steady d-man in the line-up on a nightly basis.

I think most fans will be pleasantly surprised at the offensive skills that Mattson possesses too. I have watched him play a few times and while he may not have many goals, I think he will be great on the powerplay and is one of the best passers I have seen in a long time. While he won't replace Chay, he certainly won't be considered a stay at home defenseman.

I think most fans will be pleasantly surprised at the offensive skills that Mattson possesses too. I have watched him play a few times and while he may not have many goals, I think he will be great on the powerplay and is one of the best passers I have seen in a long time. While he won't replace Chay, he certainly won't be considered a stay at home defenseman.

I noticed that he had something like 30 assists last year.

But I'm not sure how it will pan out in the NCAA.

LaPoint had monster USHL years offensively and when he got to UND, it pretty much disappeared. Sure, he turned out to be valuable in other areas (like one of the best PK Defensemen on the team), but you never know.

There are always surprises.

I think it will come to Gleason, Simpson, and Forbort (forgot Simpson in my first post) to carry the load. Anything we can get from Mattson will be bonus.

Then when Schwartz comes, we'll be fine. He looks to be another puck mover ala Genoway.

LaPoint had monster USHL years offensively and when he got to UND, it pretty much disappeared. Sure, he turned out to be valuable in other areas (like one of the best PK Defensemen on the team), but you never know.

I think it will come to Gleason, Simpson, and Forbort (forgot Simpson in my first post) to carry the load. Anything we can get from Mattson will be bonus.

Then when Schwartz comes, we'll be fine. He looks to be another puck mover ala Genoway.

Unless that Schwartz has a first name of Jaden, I think I'll be more looking forward to Schmaltz coming in. :D;)

Genoway was exciting, determined and gutsy.

However, he was not a puck mover in the sense of finding the open man and getting him the puck. This was especially noticeable on the power play. This is understandable, being a converted forward.

Forbort, Simpson, Mattson, and Gleason will do just fine.

5 Greatest College Hockey Programs of All Time

2. North Dakota Fighting Sioux

Even if the Sioux aren't playing for an NCAA championship, they are often getting as close as possible. Since 2000, NoDak has played in seven Frozen Fours, including four in a row from 2005 through 2008. The Sioux are the most consistently excellent program of late.

Not only is the team successful, but its players are tremendously successful as well. North Dakota has produced two Hobey Baker winners, the most recent being Ryan Duncan in 2007. The Sioux boast a tremendous group of alumni in the NHL including Jonathan Toews, Ed Belfour and Zach Parise.

Right now, college hockey recruits should look to Grand Forks as the premiere destination.

Link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/773887-college-hockey-greatest-hockey-programs-of-all-time#/articles/773887-college-hockey-greatest-hockey-programs-of-all-time

Pretty nice to read stuff like this. Too bad JT Miller didn't get to read this before deciding to bail. :glare::D

Link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/773887-college-hockey-greatest-hockey-programs-of-all-time#/articles/773887-college-hockey-greatest-hockey-programs-of-all-time

Pretty nice to read stuff like this. Too bad JT Miller didn't get to read this before deciding to bail. :glare::D

When North Dakota is on the road, the Sioux often listen to the jeers from the fans calling them "Gopher Rejects!" It should be that the Gophers are "Sioux rejects."

Thanks for quoting that, I was going to also mention that. Now I haven't been to many road series other than going to the Mariucci, is that statement true? Do other WCHA teams do a "Gopher Rejects!" chant when they play UND? Cause all I'm familiar with is the UND students doing the "Gopher Rejects!" chant on St. Cloud State.

I was talking to 3 or 4 Sioux players yesterday at the Ralph as my son was finishing up his hockey camp and I asked all of them what they thought of the Miller decision to go to the OHL. Everyone of them basically said screw him and said we will be fine without him. Loved their attitudes.

I was talking to 3 or 4 Sioux players yesterday at the Ralph as my son was finishing up his hockey camp and I asked all of them what they thought of the Miller decision to go to the OHL. Everyone of them basically said screw him and said we will be fine without him. Loved their attitudes.

I think that's the attitude of Sioux Nation also.

Awesome, I like that response.