SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

I can't remember which game I was watching but the announcers were saying there's research out there that says shooters perceive white or yellow goalie leg pads to be larger than black pads (when all are identically sized).

Hear that Brad?

Is this similar to when the Univeristy of Iowa painted the visitors locker room pink?

But if you have to look for your ball that means more time to drink beer. Its to easy to find the ball in the fairway.

Actual studies have shown that NoDaks who drive the middle of the fairway usually hit last and have more time to drink beer while NoDaks who hit in the woods look for their balls.

But those studies also show that NoDaks who hit in the woods spend much of the time drinking when they should be looking for their balls.

So I guess you're good no matter where you hit it. :)

Good study, but I'll be damned if I can remember where I saw it. Might have been cited on the wall of a stall at Frenchy's back in the day. Old but good law.

Anybody heard anything about this?? Another defensemen??? A forward I could understand, but not another D-man.

http://theworldofjuniorhockey.blogspot.com/2011/05/avalanche-pair-makes-wcha-plans.html

I keep thinking that we may see more Gleason at forward.

Bringing a defenseman, and keeping Gleason at forward where he was surprisingly good, would make a roster with 15 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 3 goalies.

And as last year showed, having guys like Marto and Gleason, who can play forward, or defense, or a point on the power play, can be very handy.

But if you have to look for your ball that means more time to drink beer. Its to easy to find the ball in the fairway.

And don't forget if you're serious about drinking beer you have to factor in taking a leak every few holes, that is frowned upon in the middle of the fairway so an occasional shank into the woods is almost a necessity.

I keep thinking that we may see more Gleason at forward.

I don't think so, unless there are injuries. Gleason will be very valuable at D next year with his experience. We are likely looking at bringing in another forward... likely a Davidson type player.

I don't think so, unless there are injuries. Gleason will be very valuable at D next year with his experience. We are likely looking at bringing in another forward... likely a Davidson type player.

I agree. Gleason gives us some speed and hands at D. And I don't mean "Ben Blood - give me half a dozen heart attacks per game - hands". Gleason is good at hitting the neutral zone with some speed.

All this talk of lost balls, I thought I was on GPL...

Made me laugh... :blush:

Not surprised the Sioux signed another defenseman. What does surprise me is the kid played the last year in the NAHL. I know he did spend some time in the USHL, but I can't remember the last time a player from the NAHL or formerly the AWHL came directly to UND (help me out here wise Sioux followers)? I wonder why he ended up up in Alaska? I wonder if the size of the kid perked the coaches interest (6'4). Or maybe his plus 18 rating? He did have 90 penalty minutes, so maybe he has a mean streak....

Not surprised the Sioux signed another defenseman. What does surprise me is the kid played the last year in the NAHL. I know he did spend some time in the USHL, but I can't remember the last time a player from the NAHL or formerly the AWHL came directly to UND (help me out here wise Sioux followers)? I wonder why he ended up up in Alaska? I wonder if the size of the kid perked the coaches interest (6'4). Or maybe his plus 18 rating? He did have 90 penalty minutes, so maybe he has a mean streak....

todd alexander, aaron walski

todd alexander, aaron walski

I am absolutely amazed that you knew that or found that as quickly as you did. Well done.

Both guys didn't see a ton of time for the Sioux. Maybe this means that this guy won't see a ton of time for the Sioux.

The NAHL is considered a stronger league than the MJHL, and Dickins and Davidson came from that league. Although the Sioux have not recruited from the NAHL, it is a good league and has turned out many D1 players. Just this last year, Denver had Dustin Jackson and Luke Salazar, UMD had Kyle Schmidt, Air Force had Jacques Lamoureux, CC had Gabe Guentzel, Notre Dame had Ryan Guentzel, BU had Chris Connelly (Jack's brother), Minnesota had Jacob Cepis, etc. When Denver won its last NCAA championship, they had 6 kids from the NAHL. The CCHL, Bemidji State, MSUM and UMD have historically had quite a few kids from the NAHL, so don't sell the league short.

The NAHL is considered a stronger league than the MJHL, and Dickins and Davidson came from that league. Although the Sioux have not recruited from the NAHL, it is a good league and has turned out many D1 players. Just this last year, Denver had Dustin Jackson and Luke Salazar, UMD had Kyle Schmidt, Air Force had Jacques Lamoureux, CC had Gabe Guentzel, Notre Dame had Ryan Guentzel, BU had Chris Connelly (Jack's brother), Minnesota had Jacob Cepis, etc. When Denver won its last NCAA championship, they had 6 kids from the NAHL. The CCHL, Bemidji State, MSUM and UMD have historically had quite a few kids from the NAHL, so don't sell the league short.

Here are a couple of EX-NAHLers that stick out in my mind...

Carter Camper Miami Cleveland Barons

Gabe Guentzel Colorado College Southern Minnesota Express

Ryan Guentzel Notre Dame Southern Minnesota Express

Kyle Schmidt Minnesota-Duluth Fairbanks Ice Dogs

Luke Salazar Denver Wichita Falls Wildcats

Cody Reichard Miami Fairbanks Ice Dogs

Chris Nutini Denver Santa Fe Roadrunners/Wichita Falls Wildcats

Mike Montgomery Minnesota-Duluth Southern Minnesota Express

Austin Lee Minnesota State Fargo-Moorhead Jets

Ben Kinne Bemidji State Santa Fe Roadrunners

Jordan George Bemidji State Topeka Roadrunners

Jacques Lamoureux Air Force Bismarck Bobcats

Stephane Da Costa Ottawa Senators Texas Tornado

Chris Conner Pittsburgh Penguins Chicago Freeze/Compuware Ambassadors

Andy Greene New Jersey Devils Compuware Ambassadors

Brent Johnson Pittsburgh Penguins Compuware Ambassadors

Peter Mannino Atlanta Thrashers Pittsburgh Forge

Todd Marchant Anaheim Ducks Niagara Scenics

I am absolutely amazed that you knew that or found that as quickly as you did. Well done.

Both guys didn't see a ton of time for the Sioux. Maybe this means that this guy won't see a ton of time for the Sioux.

yea todd ended up transferring to st thomas i think but walski did end up being the number 2 goalie at und during his time. so who knows with this guy, maybe if he has a good work ethic like walski than eventually he might see some.