SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

The NAHL is considered a stronger league than the MJHL, and Dickins and Davidson came from that league. Although the Sioux have not recruited from the NAHL, it is a good league and has turned out many D1 players. Just this last year, Denver had Dustin Jackson and Luke Salazar, UMD had Kyle Schmidt, Air Force had Jacques Lamoureux, CC had Gabe Guentzel, Notre Dame had Ryan Guentzel, BU had Chris Connelly (Jack's brother), Minnesota had Jacob Cepis, etc. When Denver won its last NCAA championship, they had 6 kids from the NAHL. The CCHL, Bemidji State, MSUM and UMD have historically had quite a few kids from the NAHL, so don't sell the league short.

A skateshattrick apearance...oustanding. One of the best posters ever.

Latest Update... Gregs staying would be huge.

Kristo - Knight - Gregoire

Rodwell - Grimaldi - Miller

Rowney - Nelson - X

Lamoureux - X - X

Fill in:

Dicken

MacMillan

St. Clair

Parks

O' Donnell

Blood - Forbert

MacWilliam - Simpson

Gleason - Mattson

Fill in:

Hill

Panzarella

Senkbeil

Goaltending

Dell

Eidsness

Maris

14 forwards, 9 d-men, and 3 Goalies is about perfect... Maybe another forward?

Latest Update... Gregs staying would be huge.

Kristo - Knight - Gregoire

Rodwell - Grimaldi - Miller

Rowney - Nelson - X

Lamoureux - X - X

Fill in:

Dicken

MacMillan

St. Clair

Parks

O' Donnell

Blood - Forbert

MacWilliam - Simpson

Gleason - Mattson

Fill in:

Hill

Panzarella

Senkbeil

Goaltending

Dell

Eidsness

Maris

14 forwards, 9 d-men, and 3 Goalies is about perfect... Maybe another forward?

It is all conjecture right now, but I would hesitate to put all my scorers who are proven at the WCHA level on one forward line. I would put the fairly big bodied, likely first round pick, Miller up on that top scoring line with Knight and Gregs...set Miller up to succeed, give him a chance to really contribute, and round out a high scoring, defensively responsible top unit.

I would put Kristo and Grimaldi together on the second line. Kristo is a proven scorer (although inconsistent) at the WCHA level. Put the dynamic young freshmen Rocco on his line and see what they can do. I like Rowney as the other wing to add a stronger boards and corner player. To me this line is high potential. I also think that Rowney has untapped scoring potential.

Third line is anchored by Nelson at center. While some have argued that Rocco will not usurp Nelson on the depth chart, I disagree. Brock showed some things at the end of the year, but he still has some work to do...noticeably in the weight room. I also think that as a first round pick, he needs to develop as a strong depth player or even big bodied checker for the NHL. He has skill, but so does everybody in the NHL. He is noticeably less dynamic than our other recent first round centers: Zajac, Parise, Toews, Oshie...all of which had 20 goal freshmen campaigns. This is not a knock on Brock (those 4 guys are sick-some of the best on earth), it is simply calling out the type of player he likely will be and what that means for the Sioux next year. Now, he could be a late bloomer and put up 20 goals and 40 points next year, but he could do that from the third line too. Put MacMillen or Parks on that line along with Rodwell .

Checking line will be Lammy and likely St Clair plus whoever doesn't gel well on that 3rd line.

My opinion only...

Here's what I would run, assuming Gregoire stays (please?).

Miller - Knight - Gregoire

Kristo - Grimaldi - Rodwell

Rowney - Nelson - O'Donnell/MacMillan

Dicken - Lammy - Parks/St Clair

Miller is a big body and physical, which I think would tie in well with Knight's vision/passing and Gregoire's finishing ability.

That 2nd line of Kristo/Grimaldi/Rodwell would perhaps be one of the fastest lines in college hockey.

Pair Rowney and Nelson together with another one of the freshman forwards that can put the puck in the net.

Pair Dicken and Lammy together with a freshman that can play good, defensive hockey.

Agreed with the last two posts. I don't think you can put all of the eggs into the basket with Kristo-Knight-Gregoire on the top line. Put Miller up there, and let Kristo and Grimaldi play together on the second line.

If Gleason ends up playing forward I wonder if he becomes a fourth line winger with the Lamoureax line.

Agreed with the last two posts. I don't think you can put all of the eggs into the basket with Kristo-Knight-Gregoire on the top line. Put Miller up there, and let Kristo and Grimaldi play together on the second line.

If Gleason ends up playing forward I wonder if he becomes a fourth line winger with the Lamoureax line.

I don't disagree, but why not that is how the DOT line was formed.

This isn't the right thread for this.............but who cares. Does anyone know why Dubuque would draft Max Gardiner in the USHL today?? Is he leaving Minnesota?

http://ushldraft.com/

5th round.......73rd pick overall.

That has been the rumor for awhile because he was unhappy with his playing time.

This isn't the right thread for this.............but who cares. Does anyone know why Dubuque would draft Max Gardiner in the USHL today?? Is he leaving Minnesota?

I wouldn't read too much into that. When he was of that age, Sidney Crosby was drafted in the USHL draft; there are always guys taken in the USHL draft that will never play in the USHL (either they go right to college or MJs or whatever). All that means is that *if* Max went to the USHL, he'd go to Dubuque; it's not a definite indication that he is going anywhere.

Go through some old USHL drafts sometime, they're pretty wacky at times!

He's from Minnetonka. I overheard a conversation at a Minnetonka hockey game this winter about him being unhappy. But it didn't sound like he was leaving at the time. I also heard (at this same game) that his dad thinks he should have gone to Wisco and that Jake should have gone to Minny. Weird. I don't know how accurate that is as it is hockey parents talking here...

Nothing to do with the Sioux....yet. But I saw that the Force drafted Jordan Nelson from the Alexandria Blizzard who played his high school hockey at Williston High School, and was the North Dakota Senior Athlete of the year last hockey season.

Could possibly be the next kid with North Dakota ties after Lamoureax to play for the Sioux. He did have 41 points for a team that wasn't overly talented. I wonder if he's anywhere close to UND's radar.

Michael Di Puma commits to the Sioux

For nearly three full seasons, Michael Di Puma came to work everyday for the Wenatchee Wild. His persistence and dedication paid off last week when he committed to the University of North Dakota, one of the top Division I programs in the country.

North Dakota had been Di Puma

Michael Di Puma commits to the Sioux

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=2702

another nahl kid? is this desperation from hak that he isn't going to have enough bodies to throw out each night and he's just offering scholarship money to anyone that will take it? this is the downside of having extremely young recruits that you can't bring them in too early because they aren't ready. I also wonder if this is a sign gregoire may not be not returning.

• Downvote 3

So, is this kid going to be a "filler", or is he someone who they are hoping they can develop into a real contributer? I know no one really knows, but does anyone have an opinion? Or is this kid so unknown, nobody has enough information to form one?

I feel these are the role players that make Sioux hockey successful. I mean the gophers get all the superstars and look where that leaves them.

gophers superstars

jumbo shrimp

authentic replica

virtual reality

etc...etc...

another nahl kid? is this desperation from hak that he isn't going to have enough bodies to throw out each night and he's just offering scholarship money to anyone that will take it? this is the downside of having extremely young recruits that you can't bring them in too early because they aren't ready. I also wonder if this is a sign gregoire may not be not returning.

Do you seriously think we go around offering scholarships to just anyone? They've obviously been tracking this kid for months and feel he can contribute something to the program. I trust our coaching staffs judgment. This kid wants to be a Sioux so let's see what he's got. It's not desperation. It's adding depth.

• Upvote 1

I feel these are the role players that make Sioux hockey successful. I mean the gophers get all the superstars and look where that leaves them.

Thought the same thing. Its nice to have seniors. A lot of the time nowadays with college hockey you see the two years and out or three years and out. I think we take for granted the value of having senior role players....especially ones that buy into their role by their junior or senior year.