SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

another nahl kid? is this desperation from hak that he isn't going to have enough bodies to throw out each night and he's just offering scholarship money to anyone that will take it? this is the downside of having extremely young recruits that you can't bring them in too early because they aren't ready. I also wonder if this is a sign gregoire may not be not returning.

Desperation? Hakstol is in charge of one of the premier college hockey teams in the nation. He wouldn't offer just anyone scholly money if they weren't worthy of putting on the Sioux jersey. I'm guessing that this kid will be a role player for a couple years, but could end up seeing the ice with injuries or once he gets up to the speed of the WCHA.

I'm thinking that many thought that Davidson was considered that when he first joined the team as well, and he put together a great senior season.

Hakstol knows what he is doing. :)

I'm also guessing that Di Puma's commitment has nothing to do with Gregoire's decision. If Gregoire signs, we'll be right back to 14 forwards...Hakstol would probably need to bring in another forward recruit if that were the case.

UND Athletes are on tour around the state.

Yesterday was Bismarck.

Today (Wed, May 18) is Fargo/Moorhead (6:30 pm, Hjemkomst Center)

An article on FB's Jake Miller is already in a FB thread.

Here's an article on Dan Kristo:

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/sports/college/article_fc9e3c64-80fc-11e0-9e85-001cc4c002e0.html

Per UND SID on Twitter:

Gregoire will not be back for his senior year.

I guess we knew all along it was a 50/50 chance, best of luck to Gregs down the road, thanks for the memories.

This really thins things up with Cichy and Bruno leaving, we are going to be pretty green on that 3rd and 4th line...and I'm not talking jersey color either.

with losing 6 of our top 7 scorers I really don't see much higher than a fourth place finish inthe WCHA.

From an outsider's perspective, the only team on paper I would say is ahead of UND heading into next fall at this point is DU. If a few of the freshmen forwards are as legit as advertised and Simpson + Forbort can take decent-sized steps, I think you guys will be in fine shape. Might not be "as pretty" as things were last year from start to finish for the most part, but I'd be surprised if UND falls off too much come next season.

From an outsider's perspective, the only team on paper I would say is ahead of UND heading into next fall at this point is DU. If a few of the freshmen forwards are as legit as advertised and Simpson + Forbort can take decent-sized steps, I think you guys will be in fine shape. Might not be "as pretty" as things were last year from start to finish for the most part, but I'd be surprised if UND falls off too much come next season.

I agree, I wouldn't be surprised to see a typical struggle at the beginning in the first half and pick it up in the second half of the season. Also wouldn't be surprised at all if it was potentially vice versa.

Anyways, still sucks to see Gregoire go. He was a great two-way player and I think the Sioux are really going to miss his presence on the PP/PK.

with losing 6 of our top 7 scorers I really don't see much higher than a fourth place finish inthe WCHA.

Just for the record the fourth place team in the WCHA won the NCAA title this season. I think when UMN won one of their titles they finished third that season. All you have to do is make the tourney and roll the dice.

• Upvote 1

Anyways, still sucks to see Gregoire go. He was a great two-way player and I think the Sioux are really going to miss his presence on the PP/PK.

but what do when a player doesn't want to be here anymore? not much. to me this sounds like the lslanders couldn't guarrantee him a spot on the big club and he thinks he is ready for the big club. this isn't even a case of big dollars being waved in his face, because going this route you are guarranteed nothing.

I don't know I think three - four is about right but I see what you're saying.

but what do when a player doesn't want to be here anymore? not much. to me this sounds like the lslanders couldn't guarrantee him a spot on the big club and he thinks he is ready for the big club. this isn't even a case of big dollars being waved in his face, because going this route you are guarranteed nothing.

They had made it sound earlier like they didn't even have room for him on their AHL team, makes me think the Islanders are going to go with a serious youth movement next year and move a bunch of kids to the big show, which considering that they're already the worst team in hockey would make sense...they need to start somewhere. I'd be surprised if he ended up anywhere but Bridgeport next year.

Remind me again...what place did national champ Duluth finish in the WCHA last season?

As long as the Sioux make the NCAA tourney, anything can happen.

Just for the record the fourth place team in the WCHA won the NCAA title this season. I think when UMN won one of their titles they finished third that season. All you have to do is make the tourney and roll the dice.

Goon you are so right. I tell you what when UND does win # 8 it will be during a time that we least expect it. Look no further than UMD as a prime example.

This year will be all about defense and goaltending. There are some guys that can score, but I see the Sioux in a lot of 3-2, 2-0 hockey games. With two juniors jumping ship it kind of makes me wonder about a guys like Blood and Eidsness staying. Very glad they're staying though. :blush:

Goon you are so right. I tell you what when UND does win # 8 it will be during a time that we least expect it. Look no further than UMD as a prime example.

Totally agree. Kind of like back in 97' when Michigan was suppose to win it all. Could happen this year ya just never know.

We suck at dice rolling

Well hopefully with JGregs departure this will be the last person leaving. It kind of feels like Wisconsin around here with all these departures. I kid! We certainly will have a different look but that doesn't mean it is a bad thing either. As I have said before #8 will come when we least expect it. After this season I agree with that statement even more. It will be fun to see the new freshies come in. I hope Grimaldi and Miller tear it up.

This year will be all about defense and goaltending.

Ding!

"Tell 'im what he's won, Johnny!"

</game show host voice>

Returning ...

- an All-America goalie

- a two-time all-conference goalie

- Blood, MacWilliam, Gleason, Forbort, Simpson, and the USHL defenseman of the year as the probable top six defensemen

If that doesn't say "Defense First", nothing does.

Keep the puck in front of Dell and Eidsness and scratch out what you can for offense until it matures*.

*And now, as soon as I've said that, "R Gang" (Rowney and Rodwell) will have years that make us forget Frattin and Gregoire. ;)