SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

I am surprised Nelson was not invited to camp? He was great on face offs for USA last year....Anyone know if it is due to a lingering injury?

Brock wasn't invited to the camp because he turns 21 on October 15th, making him over the age limit to participate.

I think he wasn't invited because of the age limitation stated by sioux fanatic but it's that you have to be under 20 when the tourney starts I believe.

to go further on that, i believe the cut off date is sometime in January. I would guess you can't turn 20 during the tournament. I know when the U.S won gold, John Carlson barely made the cut off... i think he turned 20 a week or two after the tournament.

I think he wasn't invited because of the age limitation stated by sioux fanatic but it's that you have to be under 20 when the tourney starts I believe.

The WJC is under 20. Brock turns 20 in October.

Simpson being invited to Canada's evaluation is a big, big deal. They seldom invite non CHL guys, although they are doing more of that these days. Only recent Sioux players to get the invite: Travis Zajac and Jonathan Toews. Travis did not make the team, JT lead his team. Pretty special company for Dillon.

The WJC is under 20. Brock turns 20 in October.

Simpson being invited to Canada's evaluation is a big, big deal. They seldom invite non CHL guys, although they are doing more of that these days. Only recent Sioux players to get the invite: Travis Zajac and Jonathan Toews. Travis did not make the team, JT lead his team. Pretty special company for Dillon.

Simpson has all the tools to be a big time player next season. Especially on the PP. He was raw last season but also did well with being in and out of the lineup. I wonder if he will get picked up earlier than expected ? I guess we shal see this week

Simpson has all the tools to be a big time player next season. Especially on the PP. He was raw last season but also did well with being in and out of the lineup. I wonder if he will get picked up earlier than expected ? I guess we shall see this week

If Simpson makes the Canada U20 team and has a tremendous season I could see him being a huge flight risk after his sophomore season. Either he or Gleason needs to step into Genoway's role on the powerplay. I think you'll see Kristo start early on the point, but at times you want to have two defenseman on the blue line on the powerplay in case a rush goes the other way. Frattin proved this year why he is a forward with his lack of skills in one on one situations defensively when he was the point man on the powerplay.

• 2 weeks later...

If Simpson makes the Canada U20 team and has a tremendous season I could see him being a huge flight risk after his sophomore season. Either he or Gleason needs to step into Genoway's role on the powerplay. I think you'll see Kristo start early on the point, but at times you want to have two defenseman on the blue line on the powerplay in case a rush goes the other way. Frattin proved this year why he is a forward with his lack of skills in one on one situations defensively when he was the point man on the powerplay.

True, but that goes against Hak's tendencies.

He's (like Blais before him) seemed to favor 4 forwards and 1 D on the power play.

It would not surprise me to see Kristo at the point of the power play for the entire year.

As for who is going to step in for Genoway... I'm not sure. I see Gleason as a Marto-type player. Gleason makes the most sense.

Our D seem to be favoring size next year and, although there are certainly puck movers among them, I don't see the kind of agility and speed that Genoway had among those that are coming back or coming in.

As I see it: Panzarella, Hill, and Senkbiel are all limited time players who seem to me (from only what I've read and not any real evidence) to be stay at home/physical types. Hill might have a more offensive upside if you consider he's listed as a forward/d on the roster. I don't see them getting much time next year... Though I do like their size.

Nick Mattson is the only incoming freshman D that I feel will be a regular on the blueline in 2011.

He seems to be a decent puck moving defenseman. He had 30 assists and 6 goals last season. However, what I've read doesn't strike me as the Genoway type.

The end all statement is: We'll have to wait and see. UND has had defenses that seemed solid defensively and seemingly powerless offensively on paper in the past and it turned out ok or better. I'm not suggesting that there's no offensive upside on the blueline either. I just don't see the dynamic offensive potential just yet.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

my new list of current and future sioux draft status. if i missed anyone please let me know

2007 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

BEN BLOOD (D) - 4TH RD (#120) OTTAWA SENATORS

BRAD EIDSNESS (G) - 5TH RD (#139) BUFFALO SABRES

2008 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

DANNY KRISTO (F) - 2ND RD (#56) MONTREAL CANADIENS

ANDREW MACWILLIAM (D) - 7TH RD (#188) TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

JOE GLEASON (D) - 7TH RD (#192) CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

2009 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

CORBAN KNIGHT (F) - 5TH RD (#135) FLORIDA PANTHERS

DEREK RODWELL (F) - 5TH RD (#144) NEW JERSEY DEVILS

2010 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

DEREK FORBORT (D) - 1ST RD (#15) - LOS ANGELES KINGS

BROCK NELSON (F) - 1ST RD (#30) - NY ISLANDERS

MARK MACMILLIN (F) - 4TH RD (#113) - MONTREAL CANADIENS 11'

MICHAEL PARKS (F) - 5TH RD (#149) - PHILADELPHIA FLYERS 11'

BRENDAN O'DONNEL (F) - 6TH RD (#156) - TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING 11'

ZANE GOTHBERG (G) - 6TH RD (#)165 - BOSTON BRUINS 12'

NICK MATTSON (D) - 6TH RD (#180) - CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS 11'

2011 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

JT. MILLER (F) - 1ST RD (#15) - NEW YORK RANGERS 11'

ROCCO GRIMALDI (F) - 2ND RD (#33) - FLORIDA PANTHERS 11'

DILLON SIMPSON (D) - 4TH RD (#192) - EDMONTON OILERS

FUTURE COMMITED RECRUITS

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana - USHL - 11'

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL - 11'

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11'

ZANE GOTHBERG - G - Fargo Force - USHL - 12'

COLTEN ST. CLAIR - F - Fargo Force - USHL - 11'

MARK MACMILLIN - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11'

ROCCO GRIMALDI - F - US U18 NTDP - 11'

JACK ROWE - F - Team Illinois MIDGET - 12' / 13'

MILES KNOULES - F - USNDPT 17 - 12' / 13'

JORDAN SCHMALTZ - D - Sioux City - USHL - 12' (top tier 2012 nhl draft prospect)

JT MILLER - F - USNDPT 18 - 11'

STEPHAN MATTEAU - F - USNDPT 17 - 12' (top tier 2012 nhl draft prospect)

CHARLIE PELNIK - D - Carolina Junior Hurricanes AAA - 13'

ANDREW PANZARELLA - D - Waterloo Blackhawks - USHL - 11'

DAN SENKBEIL - D - Alaska Avalanche - NAHL - 11'

MICHAEL DI PUMA - F - Wenatchee (Wash.) Wild - NAHL - 11'

JT Miller is currently at the NY Rangers Development Camp

Via Twitter:

No. 1 pick JT Miller, likely headed to U of North Dakota, says he lost 10 pounds skating with Thomas, Bourque. "Couldn't catch up to them."

Hopefully it won't take Miller too long to adjust to the speed of the college game.

FUTURE COMMITED RECRUITS

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana - USHL - 11'

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL - 11'

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11'

COLTEN ST. CLAIR - F - Fargo Force - USHL - 11'

MARK MACMILLIN - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11'

ROCCO GRIMALDI - F - US U18 NTDP - 11'

JT MILLER - F - USNDPT 18 - 11'

ANDREW PANZARELLA - D - Waterloo Blackhawks - USHL - 11'

DAN SENKBEIL - D - Alaska Avalanche - NAHL - 11'

MICHAEL DI PUMA - F - Wenatchee (Wash.) Wild - NAHL - 11'

These guys can probably come off the future recruits list.

"Ralph Engelstad Arena will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3..."

Maybe the place IS rigged because of the potential loss of the nickanme.

... or maybe Don Lucia is sick of the way the Ralph has been a house of horrors lately.

The article states that Jason Gregoire will be returning for his senior year. We wish!!

I wish this was happening, I think it's going to hurt not having Gregs in the line up next season.

Simpson follows in father's footsteps to NHL

At the moment, Dillon is focused on a career that begins with a degree at UND.

"I want to go to school," he explained. "I like it a lot at North Dakota, but at this point I'm going back next year and I'm going to have a good year. I'd like to stay in school for as long as it takes.

"The coaches they have [at UND] really help you grow a lot as a player. The training and the kind of guys we had this year to help out were unbelievable for me. Hopefully next year I make even bigger steps toward my career."