SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

12 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Been out of town so this may be old news, but Jake Sanderson is on the cover of USA Hockey magazine.

Nice to see his stock continue to rise. He should go in the mid to late first round in this years draft.  

image.png.4fff39d9fb910de4a3427710ae3e5653.png

Interesting that for various reasons, Berry and crew continue to pick up more elite (by draft standards) players at defense. Top three guys are defenseman in midterms, after Tychonick and JBD topping the group in 18’. I know Halliday had much higher expectations and obviously Pinto is a stud, but he was more of a diamond in the rough who likely developed into more than expected. Not complaining as these are great classes regardless, but thoughts on why Berry seems to have a bit more success at recruiting top talent on backend? Avoiding one and done’s? Slightly better reputation for developing defenseman or more desirable systems? Better eye for recruiting them? Pure coincidence? 

Good to see Kunz hasn’t completely fallen off the radar despite injury and other struggles and hopefully Halliday can start performing closer to his talent level if he can get his compete level up. Solid class With ability to quickly contribute, regardless!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Brett0909 said:

Interesting that for various reasons, Berry and crew continue to pick up more elite (by draft standards) players at defense. Top three guys are defenseman in midterms, after Tychonick and JBD topping the group in 18’. I know Halliday had much higher expectations and obviously Pinto is a stud, but he was more of a diamond in the rough who likely developed into more than expected. Not complaining as these are great classes regardless, but thoughts on why Berry seems to have a bit more success at recruiting top talent on backend? Avoiding one and done’s? Slightly better reputation for developing defenseman or more desirable systems? Better eye for recruiting them? Pure coincidence? 

Good to see Kunz hasn’t completely fallen off the radar despite injury and other struggles and hopefully Halliday can start performing closer to his talent level if he can get his compete level up. Solid class With ability to quickly contribute, regardless!

I’ve watched Kunz this year, he’s really good...at times during the Elite League he was absolutely toying around out there.  Has a lazy stride but his stick handling/shot are elite.  I was shocked he wasn’t rated higher. But he is playing prep as opposed to junior A during his draft year so....

Halliday is streaky.  Has disappeared for large stretches this year and then came on strong.  Has to have a big second half.  I’ve read his skating is iffy.  Not bad if we’re looking for a 4 year player 

• Upvote 1

"I remember I was in the little room where they bring the recruits," Sanderson said. "My dad looked at me and said, 'If you want to be a hockey player, this is the place to go.'"

"Dad" is 17-year, 1,104-game, 700-point, NHL forward Geoff Sanderson. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4866120-Top-UND-recruit-Jake-Sanderson-has-everything-you-want 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

"Dad" is 17-year, 1,104-game, 700-point, NHL forward Geoff Sanderson. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4866120-Top-UND-recruit-Jake-Sanderson-has-everything-you-want 

Interesting that his brother is going to CC.  I wonder how he feels after hearing his dad's thoughts.

• Upvote 2