SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

In looking at our D Men this year I have noticed that Frisch has been quite a bit better and more reliable when filling in for a right handed defensemen as opposed to playing on his opposite side. When he was in for Bast he was confident and we really didn't miss a beat. When he has been on the other side filling in for Tychonick he has had a few hiccups.

Looking at who we have and who we are losing

Lefthanders

Poolman--senior

Kierstad--junior....possible flight risk

Tychonick--soph.

Righthanders

Peski-senior

Bast-junior

Rieger-junior

JBD-soph.....possible flight risk

Frisch-frosh

Sanderson and Kleven are both lefthanders and there is a decent chance we lose our top two left handed defensemen after this season.

We lose Peski on the right side and a possibility of JBD but I am going to guess he stays. if Kierstad leaves we bring in Miller who is righthanded.

That is why I think our d will look like this next season if Kierstad leaves.

Tychonick, Sanderson, and Kleven on the left side.

JBD, Bast,and Frisch on the right side.

Rieger and 1 of Miller/Bast/Moore...arguments could be made for each.

It might be recency bias, but I really don't remember a situation like this before. Situation being you have this many high end players that are ready to come in with a possibility of not enough spots. By high end (specifically looking at draft rankings) I mean three in the top 15 of incoming college players (all positions). You also have a 5th round pick who by all indications is having a great year. It's really as close to a win / win situation as you can get. Of course, you hope that nobody leaves early, but what a contingency plan if someone does. 

We will need a left and a right (seniors Poolman and Peski). 

Is Kleven a senior or has Kleven accelerated?

Sanderson has accelerated to come this fall. There's the lefty. 

I could see needing a L and an R beyond the seniors this fall (2020). The name I haven't seen here is Luke Bast (lefty, DOB 2000). 

As I've said, if Tychonick figures it out defensively, come fall 2021 there's small but real chance Frisch could be the old guy of the group.

(Disclaimer: I more believe fall 2021 will be Tychonick, Frisch, and six. It'll look like fall of 2018 when it was Shaw, Poolman, and the rest. And yes, I'm a Frisch fan and biased; but I see Frisch becoming that Poolman-like player. Maybe not a captain, but that steady, reliable defenseman you can throw out at any time.) 

11 hours ago, petey23 said:

In looking at our D Men this year I have noticed that Frisch has been quite a bit better and more reliable when filling in for a right handed defensemen as opposed to playing on his opposite side. When he was in for Bast he was confident and we really didn't miss a beat. When he has been on the other side filling in for Tychonick he has had a few hiccups.

Looking at who we have and who we are losing

Lefthanders

Poolman--senior

Kierstad--junior....possible flight risk

Rieger-junior

Tychonick--soph.

Righthanders

Peski-senior

Bast-junior

JBD-soph.....possible flight risk

Frisch-frosh

Sanderson and Kleven are both lefthanders and there is a decent chance we lose our top two left handed defensemen after this season.

We lose Peski on the right side and a possibility of JBD but I am going to guess he stays. if Kierstad leaves we bring in Miller who is righthanded.

That is why I think our d will look like this next season if Kierstad leaves.

Tychonick, Sanderson, and Kleven on the left side with Rieger providing depth.

JBD, Bast,and Frisch on the right side and Miller in the mix.

Rieger is a righty.

12 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Rieger is a righty.

Oops. Correct. I knew we were 3 and 5 this year and still put him in wrong spot. Even had that in my head as I was typing and why it made sense to bring in 2 leftys and a righty even if we lose 2 rightys and 1 lefty.

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

We will need a left and a right (seniors Poolman and Peski). 

Is Kleven a senior or has Kleven accelerated?

Sanderson has accelerated to come this fall. There's the lefty. 

I could see needing a L and an R beyond the seniors this fall (2020). The name I haven't seen here is Luke Bast (lefty, DOB 2000). 

As I've said, if Tychonick figures it out defensively, come fall 2021 there's small but real chance Frisch could be the old guy of the group.

(Disclaimer: I more believe fall 2021 will be Tychonick, Frisch, and six. It'll look like fall of 2018 when it was Shaw, Poolman, and the rest. And yes, I'm a Frisch fan and biased; but I see Frisch becoming that Poolman-like player. Maybe not a captain, but that steady, reliable defenseman you can throw out at any time.) 

I had put Rieger in wrong spot on my original post. We have 5 righties and 3 leftys this year so if we lose one of each and bring in 2 leftys we will be at 4 and 4. 

Kleven is a senior school wise.

If Kierstad does leave it will be interesting to see if they bring in Miller or one of Moore or Bast?

Just tell the kids that you need to push off, that they are planning a destination game in the Bahamas in a couple years, and they won't want to miss it what with the possibility of leaving early that has become so prevalent.  You would think they actually are trying to nail down the next destination game to help sell recruits. 

It is an annual event to reconcile the pipeline with the openings, and it often seems an impossible task.  But it only seems that way to us, because we don't know the plan. 

Personally, among the things I expect are that JBD will leave, both because he's a first rounder and because there are so many committed defensemen. I also expect Moore here, because he's not going to play two post-draft junior years. 

48 minutes ago, AJS said:

UND recruits capture the USHL Forward (Ness) and Defenseman (Miller) of the week. Miller has won this award in back to back weeks.

Ness has really put together a really great year with 31 points (14G 17A) in 31 games. 

A point per game? Yes, please.

Below are the current stats for the list of players I feel could potentially be here next year. This won't include every eligible player. 

Forward

Gaber - '99 (USHL) - 24-12-36 (34GP) 

Rizzo - '01 (BCHL) 17-20-37 (36GP) 

Jamernik - '00 (AJHL) - 19-28-47 (46GP) 

Budy - '00 (BCHL) -18-30-48 (47GP) 

Ness - '99 (USHL) - 14-19-33 (33GP) 

Portz - '00 (USHL) - 13-17-30 (34GP) 

Bowen - '02 (BCHL) - 11-17-28 (34GP)

Halliday - '02 (USHL) - 8-17-25 (33GP) 

Defense

Miller - 01' (USHL) - 6-19-25 (36GP)

Moore - '01(BCHL) - 11-20-31 (49GP)

Sanderson - '02 (NTDP) - 4-15-19 (37GP)

Kleven - '02 (NTDP) - 2-9-11 (35GP)

Anytime you're talking recruits of course there's the disclaimer that there's more to a player than stats. Based on my uneducated pre-season expectations, no forward has exceeded what I had hoped, but guys like Gaber and Ness are right where you'd want them. What I really find fascinating about this bunch is how solid the numbers are. Not a single one jumps off the page, but at the same time, the depth is incredible (5 players between 1 and 1.06 PPG). I really like this class

On 2/1/2020 at 10:02 AM, AJS said:

For those that follow the HS game closely, how would you rate how Ausmus / Panzer have played for EGF this year? 

• Panzer: 16G 8A - 24 Points (17 Games)
  • Ausmus: 6G 17A - 23 Points (19 Games)

Considering they are both 15 yrs old and play a tough high school schedule (minus Crookston), I'd say they are doing well. This is Panzer's first year playing HS, so there is definitely an adjustment with speed and time.    

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Below are the current stats for the list of players I feel could potentially be here next year. This won't include every eligible player. 

Forward

Defense

Anytime you're talking recruits of course there's the disclaimer that there's more to a player than stats. Based on my uneducated pre-season expectations, no forward has exceeded what I had hoped, but guys like Gaber and Ness are right where you'd want them. What I really find fascinating about this bunch is how solid the numbers are. Not a single one jumps off the page, but at the same time, the depth is incredible (5 players between 1 and 1.06 PPG). I really like this class

Agree completely. This is a building block type class this year. Most of those forwards will be 4 year players for us and hopefully we'll get 3 years from Sanderson. 

Assumption: 7 senior and 1 junior/soph spot leaving

My initial thoughts on the incoming list is:  F - Gaber, Budy, Rizzo,  Ness, Portz    D - Sanderson, Kleven, Moore 

I'd be surprised to see Miller as he is just draft eligible this year and isn't rated in the first couple rounds. 

Just now, tho0505 said:

Agree completely. This is a building block type class this year. Most of those forwards will be 4 year players for us and hopefully we'll get 3 years from Sanderson. 

My initial thoughts on the incoming list is:  F - Gaber, Budy, Rizzo,  Ness, Portz    D - Sanderson, Kleven, Moore 

I'd be surprised to see Miller as he is just draft eligible this year and isn't rated in the first couple rounds. 

*Hopefully we'll get 2 years with him as his draft stock is skyrocketing. 

10 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

*Hopefully we'll get 2 years with him as his draft stock is skyrocketing. 

Yup. Two is the most, from what I'm seeing. I definitely think his pops believes in what UND is doing and same with the player, but this kid is looking like he's going top 10 -- two years will be just fine :)

21 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

I agree with your first 4 forwards but I think they have Portz play another year in the USHL. I think simply because he is a late bloomer and wouldn't have any hurt feelings playing another year as I'm sure that was the plan all along. Not sure if that means Bowen or Halliday come next year though as I think both could use another year. I think as we have been saying for quite some time that this class will simply be addition by subtraction. 

I do agree with your D though although it sounds like Miller is making a strong case to come in next year but I think simply Moore has to come as he is a year older. Both are having nice years. 

This article on Portz was posted two days ago.

https://www.kearneyhub.com/sports/area/nick-portz-has-brought-experience-scoring-ability-to-storm/article_b1551c80-470b-11ea-8d63-a36026f4a752.html

"He doesn’t know if he will attend UND in the fall or wait until 2021, as it will depend on what other forwards join the program later this year, Portz said."

As of now I don't see Portz being one of the 5 replacing the Senior class. 

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

This article on Portz was posted two days ago.

https://www.kearneyhub.com/sports/area/nick-portz-has-brought-experience-scoring-ability-to-storm/article_b1551c80-470b-11ea-8d63-a36026f4a752.html

"He doesn’t know if he will attend UND in the fall or wait until 2021, as it will depend on what other forwards join the program later this year, Portz said."

As of now I don't see Portz being one of the 5 replacing the Senior class. 

I love this. He trusts our path for him. 

We'll see how the rest of the year goes, but Miller might force the coaching staffs hand. The mid-term rankings came out on January 13th, where Miller was ranked 48th. Since then and I realize it's a small sample size, he has 4 Goals 10 Assists - 14 Points in 7 Games. He had 11 points in 29 games prior to the mid-term rankings. There's a lot of season left, but I would say it's very likely that his stock will rise between Mid-term and final rankings. 

7 hours ago, AJS said:

Forward

Defense

Also have to note that the USHL is a much harder league night in and night out than the BCHL...and the BCHL has more depth than the AJ. Gaber, Ness and Miller have really turned it on lately.  Halliday has picked it up considerably too.  I feel as though Rizzo, Budy, Moore and Bowen’s numbers should be a bit better.  Bowen broke his wrist and Budy appears to be on a terrible team so that may be a reason.  Rizzo’s season doesn’t appear to be all that strong. I though he would put up pretty big numbers as an overager while also playing for a good team.  You never know the real story though. The NTDP players have a nasty schedule anything around .5 ppg from the point is ok. They also role all the lines for the most part too.

• Upvote 1

The Under 18 team is in Europe for the 5 Nations tournament. They beat Czechoslovakia 3-2 yesterday and Russia 3-2 today.

Sanderson has 2 goals and 2 assists so far I think and Kleven  played pretty heavy minutes today as they were protecting a lead in the 3rd period. He absolutely stapled some poor kid from Czechoslovakia yesterday.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits