SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

That articles references a Roger Bamburak.  I consider myself pretty knowledgeable concerning Sioux hockey, but that name was not familiar.  Looks like the 14# overall pick in 1963.  Played (3) yrs at UND, a handful of years in the EHL, and didn't make it to the NHL.  

You learn something every day.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Literally AND Figuratively. I'll bet he's a two year player at the most.

D men seem to stay in college longer than forwards if they are high draft picks. Also, he is young, he is expediting HS classes so he can come next year. My uneducated guess, 3 or 4 years. With his youth, family support, the confidence his family has in the program and the type of training he will get in Grand Forks he will be ready to step right in with the team who drafts him after 4 years! His dad will convince him that four years at UND is better than leaving early, unless he is ready early to step right in to the big team!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattim said:

D men seem to stay in college longer than forwards if they are high draft picks. Also, he is young, he is expediting HS classes so he can come next year. My uneducated guess, 3 or 4 years. With his youth, family support, the confidence his family has in the program and the type of training he will get in Grand Forks he will be ready to step right in with the team who drafts him after 4 years! His dad will convince him that four years at UND is better than leaving early, unless he is ready early to step right in to the big team!

Good post and he will be here for at least 3 years for the reasons you gave. Man that backend is and will be loaded fir the foreseeable future 

6 hours ago, mattim said:

If he goes in the first round (which seems like a lock at this point) we’ll be lucky to get him for 3 years. 1st rounders don’t hang out in college for 4 years anymore, really they never have.  Only a couple examples I can think of. 

8 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

If he goes in the first round (which seems like a lock at this point) we’ll be lucky to get him for 3 years. 1st rounders don’t hang out in college for 4 years anymore, really they never have.  Only a couple examples I can think of. 

That, and we want our reputation to be that we are a better finishing school for high end talent than the competition, so a short, successful transition from college to NHL is good for recruiting and an overall long-term plus.  We just need to be able to recruit around those early departures and hope for few injuries.

18 minutes ago, hky said:

Sanderson named MVP of the top prospects game tonight. 

Tyler Kleven also with a goal and an assist, and Mitch Miller also looked good. Former defensive recruit Luke Reid also played in the game.  With Cooper Moore also in the pipeline, can’t blame Reid for looking elsewhere.

Stephen Halliday has really started to produce since December. His overall numbers are solid for his age, but below what his expectations were this year -- 7G 15A - 22 points (29 games). Since December his stat line is 6G 8A - 14points (11 games). Will be very interesting to follow his progress the rest of the way. I would say if he can finish the year around .80 PPG (currently at .76), he could make an argument to be here next year. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Stephen Halliday has really started to produce since December. His overall numbers are solid for his age, but below what his expectations were this year -- 7G 15A - 22 points (29 games). Since December his stat line is 6G 8A - 14points (11 games). Will be very interesting to follow his progress the rest of the way. I would say if he can finish the year around .80 PPG (currently at .76), he could make an argument to be here next year. 

I would guess Gaber, Ness, Rizzo and Budy would take the spots of Bowen, Yon, Michaud and Smith, then it might come down to Ethan Bowen, Jamernik or Halliday to fill any spots if someone leaves early like Mismash or Kawaguchi. 

23 minutes ago, tnt said:

I would guess Gaber, Ness, Rizzo and Budy would take the spots of Bowen, Yon, Michaud and Smith, then it might come down to Ethan Bowen, Jamernik or Halliday to fill any spots if someone leaves early like Mismash or Kawaguchi. 

Doesn’t Jamernik have to come next year?  He turns 20 next month.  Also, Kunz is currently being ranked higher than Halliday i believe.

I like Mismash however the only way he leaves is due to him being pushed by Nashville.  He needs another year.

23 minutes ago, tnt said:

You forgot Casey Johnson’s spot. 

• Upvote 1

Next year more than most, I find who's in and who's not fascinating. The numbers don't add up. 5 Senior Forwards. I know you can't only go off of who has signed their NLI, but I feel confident saying that Gaber, Ness, Rizzo, Budy and Bowen would currently be the 5 that fill those spots. What throws me off is you would have to have thought that Halliday was slotted for next year at the start of this year. Then someone like Jamernik commits as well. 

Edit: I would rather have 7 to chose from for 5 spots than not having enough. Whoever the coaching staff feels can help comes in, hopefully the others can either defer or find a spot elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, AJS said:

Next year more than most, I find who's in and who's not fascinating. The numbers don't add up. 5 Senior Forwards. I know you can't only go off of who has signed their NLI, but I feel confident saying that Gaber, Ness, Rizzo, Budy and Bowen would currently be the 5 that fill those spots. What throws me off is you would have to have thought that Halliday was slotted for next year at the start of this year. Then someone like Jamernik commits as well. 

I think this team has gotten used to the idea that what they say goes. If we tell a player that we feel they could use another year in junior, if they don't like it, so be it. Being confident in the style is perfect. Anyone think Ryder Donovan would be playing big minutes right now? 

If UND coaches Halliday that he needs another year, hopefully he gets the hint. Maybe Jamernik is a contingency plan for a surprise? Idk lol.

What I've heard is that no one is really a done deal to leave. All of the guys leaning towards staying are still leaning towards staying. 

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think this team has gotten used to the idea that what they say goes. If we tell a player that we feel they could use another year in junior, if they don't like it, so be it. Being confident in the style is perfect. Anyone think Ryder Donovan would be playing big minutes right now? 

If UND coaches Halliday that he needs another year, hopefully he gets the hint. Maybe Jamernik is a contingency plan for a surprise? Idk lol.

What I've heard is that no one is really a done deal to leave. All of the guys leaning towards staying are still leaning towards staying. 

Like this post. Not specifically Jamernik, but it's so crucial having the guys that are ready to come in if needed, but also are ok going back another year. I look at someone like Mitchell Miller as a prime example. Halliday / Bowen would also fit that mold. 

I know it's early, but the potential early exit chatter is very promising. It's so fun watching a great team and on top of that know that it's not a foregone conclusion that player X and Y will leave early. 

33 minutes ago, AJS said:

Like this post. Not specifically Jamernik, but it's so crucial having the guys that are ready to come in if needed, but also are ok going back another year. I look at someone like Mitchell Miller as a prime example. Halliday / Bowen would also fit that mold. 

I know it's early, but the potential early exit chatter is very promising. It's so fun watching a great team and on top of that know that it's not a foregone conclusion that player X and Y will leave early. 

Losing Poolman cannot be understated, but I know for a fact our defensive corps is going to be fine next year. If everyone leaves (Kierstad and JBD included, even though they're leaning towards staying), we'll have some growing pains, but still will be stacked.

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

Is Braden Costello not a committ anymore? I haven't seen anything on here about it but Heisenberg doesn't have him listed as a UND recruit anymore. Not surprising if true.  

I think the writing was on the wall for him.  Look at all the recruited walked on's from the BCHL lately.  Albrecht, Jamernick, etc.  All of them are producing at about a PPG pace.  That seems to be the minimum production needed at be considered for a spot here.  Costello isn't anywhere close to that,  in his third full year of junior hockey.  Barely a division 1 prospect at this point, let alone UND.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Losing Poolman cannot be understated, but I know for a fact our defensive corps is going to be fine next year. If everyone leaves (Kierstad and JBD included, even though they're leaning towards staying), we'll have some growing pains, but still will be stacked.

I think it would be beneficial to the programs long term health if we do indeed have one early departure on defense.  Developing players that are ready for the NHL after 2-3 years at UND is a big draw for recruits.  There are reinforcements coming year after year.  If everyone returns, we'd have a starting six of Kiersted, JBD, Tychonick, Bast, Sanderson, and Frisch.  Will Kleven or Moore come in to sit on the bench all season?  In my mind Kiersted is ready to move on (probably a better NHL prospect than Poolman at this point), and JBD is pretty close.  I could definitely see JBD coming back another year to be the clear cut #1 guy.  Right now an argument can be made that he is anywhere from the #1 to #3 d on this team.  A top pairing of Sanderson-JBD next year could be pretty unreal.

7 minutes ago, as15 said:

I think it would be beneficial to the programs long term health if we do indeed have one early departure on defense.  Developing players that are ready for the NHL after 2-3 years at UND is a big draw for recruits.  There are reinforcements coming year after year.  If everyone returns, we'd have a starting six of Kiersted, JBD, Tychonick, Bast, Sanderson, and Frisch.  Will Kleven or Moore come in to sit on the bench all season?  In my mind Kiersted is ready to move on (probably a better NHL prospect than Poolman at this point), and JBD is pretty close.  I could definitely see JBD coming back another year to be the clear cut #1 guy.  Right now an argument can be made that he is anywhere from the #1 to #3 d on this team.  A top pairing of Sanderson-JBD next year could be pretty unreal.

Who said they will sit? Did anyone think Frisch would be a mainstay on the blueline this season? Plus, the extra skater helps depth. I don't think losing Kierstad or JBD is a good thing, whatsoever, for the team. You come to UND, you aren't guaranteed anything. Gotta earn the ice time.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits