SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

On 2/7/2020 at 5:40 PM, petey23 said:

The Under 18 team is in Europe for the 5 Nations tournament. They beat Czechoslovakia 3-2 yesterday and Russia 3-2 today.

Sanderson has 2 goals and 2 assists so far I think and Kleven  played pretty heavy minutes today as they were protecting a lead in the 3rd period. He absolutely stapled some poor kid from Czechoslovakia yesterday.

I thought they played the Soviet Union?

• 2 weeks later...

Riese Gaber and Griffin Ness have been playing really well lately as well.  Gaber is four goals clear of the next highest goal scorer.   Ethan Bowen and Brendan Budy seem to have tailed off points wise in the BCHL, so you wonder what next years class will look like.   

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

Riese Gaber and Griffin Ness have been playing really well lately as well.  Gaber is four goals clear of the next highest goal scorer.   Ethan Bowen and Brendan Budy seem to have tailed off points wise in the BCHL, so you wonder what next years class will look like.   

I believe the make up of the class is fluid, if the season ended today, the class would look different than it would have two months ago. It might look different by the end of the year. Still a lot of year left, but my guess is Halliday and Miller have played themselves in next year, deferring Bowen and Moore to the 2021 class. 

16 minutes ago, AJS said:

I believe the make up of the class is fluid, if the season ended today, the class would look different than it would have two months ago. It might look different by the end of the year. Still a lot of year left, but my guess is Halliday and Miller have played themselves in next year, deferring Bowen and Moore to the 2021 class. 

Miller has to be ahead of Moore...if he keeps putting these points up he may sneak into the 3rd/4th rd. If Halliday doesn’t get drafted I could see them pushing him out until the following year. I guess his skating is a WIP and that can cause issues with jumping from junior to college. But boy...I know Bowen’s been hurt but his numbers are downright awful this year. Tough situation there. I’m guessing there’s more to the story. 

@scpa0305 Miller was ranked by NHL Scouting as the #48th ranked NA Skater in their midterm rankings, which would have put him in the 3rd/4th round at that point. Those rankings came out on Jan 13th, since that point, he has 5 goals 14 assists - 19 points (9 games). Since he was already relatively high already, he won't be able to "skyrocket" up the rankings, but I would guess he'll now be considered a 2nd/3rd round guy instead of a 3rd/4th. 

27 minutes ago, AJS said:

@scpa0305 Miller was ranked by NHL Scouting as the #48th ranked NA Skater in their midterm rankings, which would have put him in the 3rd/4th round at that point. Those rankings came out on Jan 13th, since that point, he has 5 goals 14 assists - 19 points (9 games). Since he was already relatively high already, he won't be able to "skyrocket" up the rankings, but I would guess he'll now be considered a 2nd/3rd round guy instead of a 3rd/4th. 

Agreed, have to factor in Eur ranking too which normally push players back a decent amount (see caufield last year).  But your right, could sneak into the 2nd potentially with continued point production.

edit- nm I get it, you already factored in euro ranking. If he sneaks into the 2nd that’s best case scenario and he’ll be on next years team. TBH, not sure how he’s not on next years team.

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Do we know yet what will be needed for defensemen next year. In my mind it's anywhere from two to four. 

Agreed on the anywhere from two to four. When I'm speculating like I'm doing today (i.e. Miller taking Moore's spot), I'm doing so with my best guess of needing to replace three D-man next year. 

5 hours ago, AJS said:

Portz is another one who may throw a wrench in things at forward.  He has also been consistent down the stretch.  If we could get guys like Halliday and Bowen to play another year of juniors, it would make it more likely they could make an impact earlier in their careers.  Adams stayed another year in juniors, and it still has taken him a few years to make an impact -- but boy has he been an impact player this year. Some guys are just in a rush to start their careers, see Ryder Donovan.

6 hours ago, AJS said:

Agreed on the anywhere from two to four. When I'm speculating like I'm doing today (i.e. Miller taking Moore's spot), I'm doing so with my best guess of needing to replace three D-man next year. 

Poolman, Peski and ?

4 hours ago, southpaw said:

Like I said in early 2016, if UND wins a national championship, everyone can leave. They've earned it and I wouldn't feel bad if a player decided to go after a natty.

Not so fast lefty, we have a right and tradition to maintain success.
Not being foxy, but in a sensible way, we still need to guard the hen house.

9 hours ago, hky said:

Poolman, Peski and ?

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Kierstad (jr); JBD (so, and 1st rd pick). 

@hky one of those two, I have no inside information, but I just find it hard to believe that UND wouldn't lose one between Kierstad and JBD this summer. 

7 hours ago, southpaw said:

Like I said in early 2016, if UND wins a national championship, everyone can leave. They've earned it and I wouldn't feel bad if a player decided to go after a natty.

Respectfully disagree. It is absolutely deserving of a notch in one's belt and to be held with the highest regards in program history, but especially for those guys respectively (and realistically) looking to transition to the pro level in any capacity, I still believe for most it would be smart to come back. It'll protect the integrity of the program and establishes what could be considered as a foundation/jumping block for continued success. Last part almost goes without saying. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, southpaw said:

Also, looking at the scope of things between the natty team and the team in the year following. Brock had 60 points in 42 games. He stayed, only racking up 34p in 32 games, considering a wrist injury that kept him out a majority of the first half. Flip side, you have Gersich, who only had 11 points in 37 games during 15/16, and comes back not only that next year, but the year after. Significant uptick in offensive production (.93ppg), even if his last year here was a little less (.73) than 16/17. Just a couple examples. These guys need it, and we have a program where, if they stick to the process, it'll translate to success wherever they go next.

44 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Respectfully disagree. It is absolutely deserving of a notch in one's belt and to be held with the highest regards in program history, but especially for those guys respectively (and realistically) looking to transition to the pro level in any capacity, I still believe for most it would be smart to come back. It'll protect the integrity of the program and establishes what could be considered as a foundation/jumping block for continued success. Last part almost goes without saying. 

I am with your assessment. The continued success of the player and trusting the process that the program instills in you are not to be discarded with a championship season. I believe that Gino Gasparini had a better way of saying it than us keyboard warriors. Something along the lines of "for most, your first NHL contract will be easier to attain than your second one, and the program can be used to achieve that.”

7 hours ago, mattim said:

I’m not sure where I was at the time but I missed all discussion about Dylan James. What is his story, still in Bantams or coming soon?

He's up for Rookie of the Year in the AJHL as a 16 year old.  Lot of upside, so hopefully he keeps developing.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits