SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

Okay I can almost guarantee this idea has been suggested because just about every name on the planet has been, and some not from this planet. But what about ......

The North Dakota Brave

I am not talking about Braves with an S, just Brave as in "And the home of the Brave." This connects to the air force base, it connects to our immigrant heritage (as in braving the winter), it's possibly unique (I know someone will check), there is a subtle reference to the local Native American heritage but not directly and we would no longer get criticized for shouting our name at the end of the national anthem. Plus it lends itself to lots of logo possibilities. .

Tear away....

As long as there is NO NA reference its fine,that's what the NCAA told Bradley.

Okay I can almost guarantee this idea has been suggested because just about every name on the planet has been, and some not from this planet. But what about ......

The North Dakota Brave

I am not talking about Braves with an S, just Brave as in "And the home of the Brave." This connects to the air force base, it connects to our immigrant heritage (as in braving the winter), it's possibly unique (I know someone will check), there is a subtle reference to the local Native American heritage but not directly and we would no longer get criticized for shouting our name at the end of the national anthem. Plus it lends itself to lots of logo possibilities. . 

Tear away....

There are some Braves with an 's', but I didn't see any Brave.

Braves

Rough Riders, Badlands, Flyers, Arrows, Chill, Freeze, Renegades, Predators, Ducks, Honkers, and Skunk Bears (another name for Wolverine). Bash 'em all if you like but I'm like the other guy, just pick one and move on. Nothing will equal Fighting Sioux so no matter what name is chosen it will have its many critics, no doubt.

Technically it's an adjective that would be turned into a noun - groundbreaking :cool:

I think the Central Valley Valiants beat you to it.....but, inventing words, or changing their meanings, is probably the best chance of coming up with a never before used nickname if that is the objective.

I think the Central Valley Valiants beat you to it.....but, inventing words, or changing their meanings, is probably the best chance of coming up with a never before used nickname if that is the objective.

If you want to nit pick back when the school was started (around 1962) a Valiant was a car brand (I know that had nothing to do with them picking Valiant) ironic that I have connections to that school.

Go Brave!  

How about the con-UND-drum? One of the cheers consists of the fans standing around scratching their heads with a puzzled look on their faces.

What other team names can we come up with that have 'UND' in the name?

I know somebody posted ScoUNDrels, ThUNDer, and SUNDogs...how about FloUNDers, HoUNDs, or FUNDamentalists?

What other team names can we come up with that have 'UND' in the name?

I know somebody posted ScoUNDrels, ThUNDer, and SUNDogs...how about FloUNDers, HoUNDs, or FUNDamentalists?

The UNDergroUND. 

The GroUND RoUNDers. 

The HoUNDs might be acceptable. We could use a McRuff the Crime Dog looking mascot. 

Rough Riders, Badlands, Flyers, Arrows, Chill, Freeze, Renegades, Predators, Ducks, Honkers, and Skunk Bears (another name for Wolverine). Bash 'em all if you like but I'm like the other guy, just pick one and move on. Nothing will equal Fighting Sioux so no matter what name is chosen it will have its many critics, no doubt.

From your list, I like Chill, Renegades, (haven't heard those before) and Predators.

My Additions:

Voyaguers - kind of long, but has ND history

Express - Logo maybe something with a locomotive

Raptors - BIrd of Prey image

Roughnecks

Aviators