SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my choices, some tongue in cheek/sarcastic and some serious, you decide. My first choice when I knew it was just time until the Fighting Sioux loge was going to be pulled from us was Sun Dogs (fairly unique to this area, I know at my in-laws in northern Twin Cities they don't see them) but on the negative it would obviously unofficially eventually be shortened to just Dogs. My latest though a few weeks ago was Band Lands. After thinking of it I though well who has a geographic land scape for a logo but the Colorado Rockies MLB team uses one. Anyhow, here you go: Sun Dogs, (Fighting?) Ducks, Honkers, Prairie Hawks, Oilers (very fitting now but likely be subject to disdain by environmentalists), Rough Riders (Teddy R connection), Green Wave, Spuds, Sugar Beeters :-), Snow Leopards, Renegades (crank up Styxx hit for game intro!), Fighting Skeeters (I envision a steroid laced/juiced up mosquito for logo), Blizzard (provided no copyright issue w/DQ?), Flame(s), Spirit, Jets (top aviation school but yes, pro team same name just 150 miles away), North Stars, Soo Railroaders :-), Fighting Norskies (redundant of Univ name, offensive to some?), Trail Blazers, Explorers, Chill (hey, there's the Miami Heat) and my new favorite (lately)--Bad Lands! I think my top 10 are: 1-Bad Lands 2-Rough Riders, 3-Sun Dogs, 4-Oilers, 5-Chill, 6-Fighting Ducks, 7-Jets, 8-Trail Blazers, 9-Snow Leopards, and 10-Prairie Hawks. I think my #11 choise is NO NEW NAME out of respect for the FIGHTING SIOUX name & to keep it alive forever.

I know that many of you are looking for something totally original... good luck... but how about something like the Windsor Spitfires... pay homage to our successful aerospace program without being in your face aviation?  There are lots of cool airplane names out there...

12822223877515.jpg

Isn't that a rip-off of the Presidential Seal?

Sorta ... but not. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_North_Dakota

The design for the flag of the state of North Dakota is an almost exact copy of the unit banner carried by the state's troop contingent in the Philippine-American War. It was adopted by the North Dakota Legislative Assembly on March 3, 1911, although the color was not precisely specified at that time. Legislation in 1943 brought the flag in line with the original troop banner, which is on display at the North Dakota Heritage Center in Bismarck. The flag also resembles the Great Seal of the United States.