SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

I actually think that the UND "Fighting Spirit" would be a good choice. It invokes the memory of the Fighting Sioux name without being controversial, and pays a little respect to the Spirit Lake tribe. Isn't "Discover the Spirit" already on every license plate in the state and on a sign on every entry point into the state.

The "Fighting Spirit" could apply to Sioux warriors, or the hardy pioneers who settled the state, or the 7th Cavalry, or Theodore Roosevelt's Roughriders...and so on.

I like it. We would still keep that spirit of the name of the Sioux alive. I know Fargo Force took the Force name, but it seems a couple years ago that UND started to use that as the Force of the North kind of thing.

In reality I would prefer no nickname, I afraid that the university and Kelly is going to rush getting a new name and not give any imput from Alumni and community.

I'm sorry, but I think this thread should be locked until one of two things happen:

1. Standing Rock holds their referendum and votes to oppose supporting the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

2. Standing Rock's Tribal council does not allow for a vote on the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

Until then, and only then, there is still hope to get this travesty reversed. Both Archie and Steve Foolbear think the fight has just begun, and we have to have the same mindset. Because WHEN Standing Rock votes to support the Fighting Sioux name, they will need all of our support to counter the SBoHE, etal (Kelley, Faison, etc.).

If we just give up now and start picking out new names, it just makes it easier for the powers that be. I say Bull$hit! (insert Animal House video here)

Can you imagine the pressure that will be on the members of the SBoHE, when both tribes have given their blessing to keep the name? And don't forget that Governor Hoeven must appoint 3 new boardmembers in a year he is running for another office (hint...email him!) They will have no choice but to listen to the people.

The opportunity of a lifetime is right in front of us. We CAN turn the tables on the establishment! First, we need Standing Rock to do their part. Then, we MUST do our part. With the hundreds of thousands of true Fighting Sioux fans out there, we can organize a rally that would dwarf alot of the political rallies you see on television during election seasons.

When this is all said and done, The University of North Dakota will be able to keep the Fighting Sioux name and logo, and all of us that fight for it now will be able to stand even a little taller knowing that we played a part in determining the history and legacy of the university! -- Imagine being able to tell your grandchildren about this when they decide to attend UND? WOW!

If that won't make you feel proud when you see the Fighting Sioux logo live on, I don't know what would....

Let's live up to the advertisement.... North Dakota.......LEGENDARY!!!!!

-- I know where all of you are on this thread... I just think it's premature---- (and bad JuJu)

If we can't be the Fighting Sioux, HockeyMom thinks we should simply be known as North Dakota. No nickname, no logo. Eventually, we will offend someone no matter what we choose.

And right now, I just want someone to sit with me and have a beer, and we can cry together because doing it alone kinda sucks.

I just went through a pile of pictures and looked at the history of my kids growning up and how much Fighting Sioux athletics have been a part of their lives since day one.

Em was the Sioux Kids Club Caption of the Game the night that the 2000 team celebrated their ten year reunion and when we were sitting in the penalty box waiting for the starting line-up I remembered back to 2000 and how she was a few weeks old and asleep in her baby bouncer and then the Sioux scored and everyone watching the Championship game at our house jumped and screamed when we scored and she was startled, woke up and started to cry.

I could be proud of a nickname like "The Fighting Pike". You could make a wicked logo out of a Northern... or a Muskie! Imagine the legacy of creating a new nickname, logo, and even a mascot!!! Awesome!

http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/ww201/x...urrent=Pike.png

http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/ww201/x...=PikeJersey.png

Not saying I think this should be the next logo, just messing around in PS.

I could be proud of a nickname like "The Fighting Pike". You could make a wicked logo out of a Northern... or a Muskie! Imagine the legacy of creating a new nickname, logo, and even a mascot!!! Awesome!

Do we even have Muskies in North Dakota... I dunno a team named after a Slough Shark? HUM! I like Fighting Drakes, Pheasants or Honkers beter but all are better than Sun dogs or Flickertails...

The University of North Dakota adopted the nickname Roughriders in 2010. The nickname honors the brave men and women who serve in our military forces. They epitomize hard work, a fighting spirit, and winning battles. They defend our freedom and our way of life. Please be loud and proud and exhibit good sportsmanship as you cheer on your team tonight.

I think Sodbusters would be the only choice if it's got to come to this.

I would go with UND or University of North Dakota. Why???-- because I dont think this issue is over yet. When and if it does settle in your favor then its easy to reinsert the logo.

I wish the Sioux Good Luck.

The NCAA can kiss my ass.

I would go with UND or University of North Dakota. Why???-- because I dont think this issue is over yet. When and if it does settle in your favor then its easy to reinsert the logo.

Ya know, it's comments like that that get you put on someone $hit list. Oh wait, you already are. :glare:

I hope you are right PL.

I would agree with you that no name would be fine for awhile, but from a marketing standpoint...it doesn't work to go with UND or University of North Dakota. The latter is too long and the former is associated with Notre Dame in too many parts of the country.

• 4 years later...

We already wear Jaguar racing green. wink.gif

http://www.jaguarusa.com

I bounced this notion out there in the past.

The whole Kingsley/Strong/Huddleston campaign tells me all the more that it would be a whole lot of fun. :D

"We're more focused, more precise. We're always one step ahead. With a certain style, an eye for detail. And we're obsessed by power."

Everyone else likes to cast us as the bad guy; why not embrace the villainy?

Get Jaguar to sponsor University of North Dakota Athletics and we wear their logo on the playing surface, in front of the television cameras.

The NCAA can have their Buick sponsorship. ;)

My current favs is

Norse

ThUNDer

Cavalry

Ducks

Can't have Thunder...too scary. Even though Oregon has ducks I suppose that could work with our state. I like Cavalry but I think RoughRiders will be a favorite. Here's a question no matter the nickname do we keep the word Fighting in front I it? Fighting Ducks, Fighting Norse?

Can't have Thunder...too scary. Even though Oregon has ducks I suppose that could work with our state. I like Cavalry but I think RoughRiders will be a favorite. Here's a question no matter the nickname do we keep the word Fighting in front I it? Fighting Ducks, Fighting Norse?

Yes...we will be known as the Fighting Norse!!

• 2 months later...