SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

There is a difference between a team that is a thousand miles away (Oilers) and one that was in a state across the river from GF. 

What's the difference? Please fill me in. Neither nickname is used anymore. They are both retired and are both free to be used if desired. Heck, any nickname is free to be used if desired. Just because another team, extinct team, or nearby state has a tie to a nickname, but does not use it themselves, means we can't use it? That's ridiculous 

What's the difference? Please fill me in. Neither nickname is used anymore. They are both retired and are both free to be used if desired. Heck, any nickname is free to be used if desired. Just because another team, extinct team, or nearby state has a tie to a nickname, but does not use it themselves, means we can't use it? That's ridiculous 

I think you'll agree some names shouldn't be chosen to avoid (geographic) confusion. For example, Coyotes, Jackbunnies, Bisons ;) , Gophers, Grizzlies, ... et al. 

Minnesota and North Stars go together. Why not be the UND Badgers, or UND Buckeyes. At least Oilers isn't a state/Province  nickname of Texas and Alberta.

You guys are missing the point. All of your examples are of existing team nicknames and mascots in our geographical region, apart from darells Oilers reference, whereas the North Stars is not being used and has not for some time now. All i'm saying is it's an option and a good one compared to many others stated

Minnesota is "The North Star State" and that's cool, so why not ... 

University of North Dakota Mount Rushmores ... 

So now you're saying we SHOULD be called the "Flickertails" or the "Peace Gardeners", or the "Roughriders" - which is Red Rivers nickname and mascot then? Seesm that way to me with the links you added...