SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

So now you're saying we SHOULD be called the "Flickertails" or the "Peace Gardeners", or the "Roughriders" - which is Red Rivers nickname and mascot then? Seesm that way to me with the links you added...

1. Using a state of ND nickname should be considered.*

2. Using a neighboring state nickname should not. 

*Flickertails is already dead per Dr. Kelley, but I wouldn't put "Peace Gardeners" past him. And the whole "GFRR" conversation was had here many times before. You'll be able to find it using the site's search capabilities. 

So now you're saying we SHOULD be called the "Flickertails" or the "Peace Gardeners", or the "Roughriders" - which is Red Rivers nickname and mascot then? Seesm that way to me with the links you added...

Let's try reverse psychology here, Sic...say the Wild want to re-brand and decide to become the Minnesota Fighting Sioux. How does that sound to everyone here for an NHL team?

If we're going to rip off a Canadian junior team ... I like Fernie's "Ghost Riders" name. Their logo would not work, but, we all know who the ghost riders in question are. 

This is where ScottM's "Auburn" (Tigers / War Eagle) solution comes in: Officially "Ghost Riders", unofficially ... 

If we're going to rip off a Canadian junior team ... I like Fernie's "Ghost Riders" name. Their logo would not work, but, we all know who the ghost riders in question are. 

This is where ScottM's "Auburn" (Tigers / War Eagle) solution comes in: Officially "Ghost Riders", unofficially ... 

Can we have a guy with a flaming skull head lead the team out on the field?  that would be pretty sweet! :p

I guess from a "flip the bird at the NCAA" perspective I could live with either 

Ghost Riders (and we know which former riders on the plains we speak of; hint: REA plaza statue)

or

Black Stripes (I wonder if we could cut a deal with Adidas ... ) 

And yes, finding a way to "flip the bird" to the NCAA with a new name that still meets their PC criteria would help the name garner some favor with many. 

The problem: We'd be setting ourselves up to drag the albatross forever.