SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Roughriders?

RD17

I'd like to see the Herald tackle that issue - based on the final 7 what did the high-powered agency bring to the table? Just another example of top-level executives being out of touch with their own community and constituents - I've experienced the mind-set too many times - "We have to pay big bucks and use someone from out of state if we want to get something really creative." Was there a RFP for this project? 

We paid six figures in state tax dollars to come up with what we had before we started. There was no creative thinking brought to the table. 

Anna Burleson, Forum News Service -- The committee was split on whether to continue to play as "North Dakota," with members Landon Bahl, Chelsea Moser and Lowell Schweigert speaking out against it while Dave St. Peter was in favor of discussing it further.

"Now I think is the time for some courage and the popular choice based on what was submitted during April, obviously to all of us, if you look at numbers, is 'North Dakota,' but popular isn't always the right choice," said Schweigert, a UND alumnus and committee member.

"North Dakota" received 21 points when the committee voted on the name with St. Peter awarding 8, the most, and Bahl awarding -8, the least.

Begs the question. what is the annoying emcee dude doing on this committee? The fact that he can basically cancel out the vote of St. Peter makes about as much sense as Lakes bison possibly getting to vote on our future name.

Anna Burleson, Forum News Service -- The committee was split on whether to continue to play as "North Dakota," with members Landon Bahl, Chelsea Moser and Lowell Schweigert speaking out against it while Dave St. Peter was in favor of discussing it further.

"Now I think is the time for some courage and the popular choice based on what was submitted during April, obviously to all of us, if you look at numbers, is 'North Dakota,' but popular isn't always the right choice," said Schweigert, a UND alumnus and committee member.

"North Dakota" received 21 points when the committee voted on the name with St. Peter awarding 8, the most, and Bahl awarding -8, the least.

Begs the question. what is the annoying emcee dude doing on this committee? The fact that he can basically cancel out the vote of St. Peter makes about as much sense as Lakes bison possibly getting to vote on our future name.

There was another vote of -5 for North Dakota, so even had he voted all the way in favor like Dave did, it would only be in 5th. 

Of course that same person who did -5 voted Sundogs #1 with 9... (anybody want to take a guess on who that is?)

There was another vote of -5 for North Dakota, so even had he voted all the way in favor like Dave did, it would only be in 5th. 

Of course that same person who did -5 voted Sundogs #1 with 9... (anybody want to take a guess on who that is?)

Lowell did acknowledge that staying North Dakota was far and away the most popular choice. Like I said, if you are going to bring the far and away favorite this far in the game and then just cast it aside you are going to end up with a name that many will consider invalid. I can live with Roughriders if it garners more votes than "North Dakota" among Alum, current students, faculty, and/or those who have contributed to the cause.

I'd say Mr. Bahl has REA connections. ;) 

I guess I'd wonder more about a MLB executive that doesn't understand the value of a nickname in marketing a franchise. I wonder if he'd be willing to dump "Twins" and just market as "Minnesota". 

• Upvote 1

Lowell did acknowledge that staying North Dakota was far and away the most popular choice. Like I said, if you are going to bring the far and away favorite this far in the game and then just cast it aside you are going to end up with a name that many will consider invalid. I can live with Roughriders if it garners more votes than "North Dakota" among Alum, current students, faculty, and/or those who have contributed to the cause.

Did he say this?  I don't recall reading that.  Could you provide a link?

EDIT, Nevermind,  I see the article he stated it in...

Did he say this? I don't recall reading that. Could you provide a link?

Which really casts doubt on what the committee really knows. Apparently they aren't even aware single people submitted dozens of the same name.

EDIT, Nevermind, I see the article he stated it in...

Yes, I guess I should've realized this.  Lowell was referring to the original request for suggestions in April.  Anyone could submit as many names as they wanted...remember how many suggestions there were for Ermines???  It was the most popularly submitted name, other than Fighting Sioux maybe.  Which doesn't mean the most popular due to being able to submit multiple names.

What would make this whole process worth it is if they chose to stay 'North Dakota' after 6+ months and hundreds of thousands of dollars invested. Let's do that. :silly:

Great point. That money would have been better spent on things like t-shirt police, er, diversity presidents.

Had a meeting with a client today who brought up the nickname - he laughed out loud at "Roughriders." I told him it's still the best of the 7 in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see the Herald tackle that issue - based on the final 7 what did the high-powered agency bring to the table? Just another example of top-level executives being out of touch with their own community and constituents - I've experienced the mind-set too many times - "We have to pay big bucks and use someone from out of state if we want to get something really creative." Was there a RFP for this project? 

We paid six figures in state tax dollars to come up with what we had before we started. There was no creative thinking brought to the table. 

But was "creative thinking" what the consultant was hired for?  Seems to me that they were brought in not to come up with ideas but rather to facilitate a process.  That process included unfettered (and protracted) public input and except for an initial screening, all decisions have been made by a hand-picked group of stakeholders.  Nobody can complain about not having an opportunity to suggest as many creative names as they could think of.  You are free to criticize the consultant for failing to 'think creatively' during the first round of cuts, but at least the consultant's work product was laid out on the table for public inspection, and everything thereafter is solely on the committee.

Lots of decision-making processes are messy, expensive, and pointless, but people seem to feel better about them by building them into something bigger than they need to be.  In fact, as a nation we're about to embark on another one…the 2016 presidential primaries.  How much money are the taxpayers and also-rans going to spend on this ridiculous, entirely-too-long political farce?

Like all non-consultants, I hate consultants with a passion.  But I think the blame for your disappointment in the process may need to be placed elsewhere.

Really, LOL'd huh? Wish we could get a cool name like Sooners, Jackrabbits, Cyclones, Badgers, Gophers, Spartans, Wildcats (all 50 of them), Bobcats, or Tigers. Those are really cool nicknames (that everyone seems to think are actually good and are accepted).

Yes, he laughed out loud. I said it's the best of the 7 and he still felt it was funny because "it's a condom."

Yes, he laughed out loud. I said it's the best of the 7 and he still felt it was funny because "it's a condom."

Most people outside the area that aren't familiar with north Dakotas highest award, or north Dakotas fantasy connection to teddy Roosevelt's Roughriders, (which would be pretty much everyone outside the area), will think of condoms when hearing the name.

This is the stage of the process where the consultants earn their keep. But, the committee has disappointed thus far, so they will probably choose to ignore the experts' advice on Roughriders.

If it's chosen, maybe Spring Fest could be replaced with Ribbed Fest.

• Downvote 2

Most people outside the area that aren't familiar with north Dakotas highest award, or north Dakotas fantasy connection to teddy Roosevelt's Roughriders, (which would be pretty much everyone outside the area), will think of condoms when hearing the name.

This is the stage of the process where the consultants earn their keep. But, the committee has disappointed thus far, so they will probably choose to ignore the experts' advice on Roughriders.

If it's chosen, maybe Spring Fest could be replaced with Ribbed Fest.

If you Google roughrider, condoms don't come up until at least page 3 and only a few times in the first 10 pages.  There are references to roughriders or rough riders in places from Long Island, to San Antonio, to Puyallup, WA. I don't think that condoms are going to be the first thing that MOST people are going to think of.  I would bet that MOST people couldn't tell you that Rough Riders were even a name brand for condoms.

• Upvote 4

Funny stuff, someone is sitting on the inforum poll continuously voting for Rough Riders.

Your post must have alerted the "no nickname" crowd.  There was over 1,000 votes cast overnight with the majority of them going for "no nickname" to get it back in the lead by a few percentage point.

Your post must have alerted the "no nickname" crowd.  There was over 1,000 votes cast overnight with the majority of them going for "no nickname" to get it back in the lead by a few percentage point.

Haha, yeah I saw that this morning; major swings.  That entire poll is too funny.