SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Roughriders?

RD17

God, we have to save this country again by voting some sanity back into government.

I believe our current "leader" doesn't belong to the baby boomer gen but is one of tenured college professors you deride.

"We" can't believe what has happened in the last few years that catapulted the deficit into the trillions, but we are trying to get the right leadership

back in to straighten things out. I think things are already changing.

I sure as h*ll don't want my great-great grandkids to have to deal with it.

We'll get it fixed before we're gone.

Well said.

Good points but roughriders/calvary is NOT a good replacement name and i'll fight that til my death. I'm not saying we should be the Transformers or something incredibly stupid in that "trendy, cool" way.. just something new and unheard of that is cool.. which I think we can figure out.

choose your battles wisely grasshopper, and you may live to fight a better battle another day.

Roughriders (or Rough Riders) is easily one of the top 5 names on this forum, probably second only to Fighting Sioux.

• Upvote 1

My preferences for a new nickname:

1. University of North Dakota Rough Riders

2. University of North Dakota Fighting Norse

It would be easy to come up with some really cool looking logos for both of these nicknames.

3. I think there is some potential for using the eternal flame in the UND logo. The problem is that the only idea I can come up with is "flames." Anybody else out there have an idea for the flame logo that wouldn't be a knock-off of the Calgary Flames?

• Upvote 1

It would be easy to come up with some really cool looking logos for both of these nicknames.

3. I think there is some potential for using the eternal flame in the UND logo. The problem is that the only idea I can come up with is "flames." Anybody else out there have an idea for the flame logo that wouldn't be a knock-off of the Calgary Flames?

I forgot to mention that I like being able to keep the "fighting" in Fighting Norse.

Also, there used to be an NFL Europe team called the Rein "Fire." It seemed to work pretty well for a football team. Perhaps it could work for UND.

I forgot to mention that I like being able to keep the "fighting" in Fighting Norse.

Also, there used to be an NFL Europe team called the Rein "Fire." It seemed to work pretty well for a football team. Perhaps it could work for UND.

Sorry...dislike this one. At least the football team could go with the "It's 'Rein'ing Fire," or "Step into the 'Rein' of fire, etc. I prefer to stay away from weather/natural element type of names.

These two along with the 'Nokes (Nokota) and Rough Necks, in my opinion, are the best that have been suggested thus far...

I do like the sound of 'Nokes. The long form of Nokota's definitely wouldn't work with North Dakota in front of it...too redundant sounding.

"Fighting Norse." Don't we have another name for them -- Vikings?

These two along with the 'Nokes (Nokota) and Rough Necks, in my opinion, are the best that have been suggested thus far...

Amazing how one man's garbage is another man's treasures. I was thinking that Nokota's was my least favorite until I heard Roughnecks. This should be an interesting process.

However, I don't see the interest in Roughnecks. (from Wikipedia--Roughneck (or ruffneck) is a slang term for an unskilled or slightly-skilled labourer).

In honor of the Red Pepper. The University of North Dakota Grinders. It is suppertime!

Amazing how one man's garbage is another man's treasures. I was thinking that Nokota's was my least favorite until I heard Roughnecks. This should be an interesting process.

However, I don't see the interest in Roughnecks. (from Wikipedia--Roughneck (or ruffneck) is a slang term for an unskilled or slightly-skilled labourer).

In honor of the Red Pepper. The University of North Dakota Grinders. It is suppertime!

UND Red Peppers - something every UND student & alum for the past 50 years has in common :lol:

UND Red Peppers - something every UND student & alum for the past 50 years has in common :lol:

Not even joking waaaaaaaaaay better than Roughriders... truly... which is also truly sad... Roughriders may be popular on a thread called North Dakota Roughriders... but it will never be the new nickname. "young grasshoppers" that now attend UND and pay tuition will A, dislike the name, and B, I'd never chose to go to a college that was just name the Roughriders.. once again, maybe we don't need a cool/trendy name but something this simple can attract or deter people from UND.. People come here because of our tradition, not many people come to UND on the notion of education alone.. believe it or not kids are attracted to places for other reasons than education.. i.e. nicknames, sports, drinking, etc.. may sound stupid but its the truth. And I bet if this forum had more younger people I could get many to agree..

Not even joking waaaaaaaaaay better than Roughriders... truly... which is also truly sad... Roughriders may be popular on a thread called North Dakota Roughriders... but it will never be the new nickname. "young grasshoppers" that now attend UND and pay tuition will A, dislike the name, and B, I'd never chose to go to a college that was just name the Roughriders.. once again, maybe we don't need a cool/trendy name but something this simple can attract or deter people from UND.. People come here because of our tradition, not many people come to UND on the notion of education alone.. believe it or not kids are attracted to places for other reasons than education.. i.e. nicknames, sports, drinking, etc.. may sound stupid but its the truth. And I bet if this forum had more younger people I could get many to agree..

And yet people go to school in places where their nickname is Cornhuskers, Tar Heels, Sooners, Jayhawks, Anteaters, Billikens, Boilermakers, Boll Weevils, Catamounts Banana Slugs, Salukis, etc. Do I need to go on? Some of those are some huge schools. But these are some bad nicknames. A nickname is going to be a very small factor in someone deciding on a school. Plus, as these nickname threads have shown, there is a very wide discrepancy in what people like and don't like in a nickname.

And yet people go to school in places where their nickname is Cornhuskers, Tar Heels, Sooners, Jayhawks, Anteaters, Billikens, Boilermakers, Boll Weevils, Catamounts Banana Slugs, Salukis, etc. Do I need to go on? Some of those are some huge schools. But these are some bad nicknames. A nickname is going to be a very small factor in someone deciding on a school. Plus, as these nickname threads have shown, there is a very wide discrepancy in what people like and don't like in a nickname.

It's pretty much a loosing argument for myself, or anyone who disagrees with me.. and the only way everyone can be happy is with some type of vote. Not just sbohe, not phil jackson, not R. kelly, but everyone... and yes that will never happen either..

It's pretty much a loosing argument for myself, or anyone who disagrees with me.. and the only way everyone can be happy is with some type of vote. Not just sbohe, not phil jackson, not R. kelly, but everyone... and yes that will never happen either..

According to everything I have seen and heard the process that will decide a new nickname has not been determined. But according to the same information, a lot of people will have an oppotunity to provide input into a new nickname. That will include you, me, everyone on this board and a lot of others. I would be surprised if the SBoHE makes the final decision, the only thing they will do is rule out a nickname if they determine that it will cause a problem (like if another Native American nickname were somehow chosen). No matter how a new name is chosen, or what name is chosen, I will guarantee that not everyone will be happy. You can't please everyone, ever. But a new nickname that works for a lot of people is probably what we can expect from the process, whatever that process turns out to be.

The University of North Dakota adopted the nickname Roughriders in 2011. The nickname honors the brave men and women who serve in our military forces. They epitomize hard work, a fighting spirit, and winning battles. They defend our freedom and our way of life. Please be loud and proud and exhibit good sportsmanship as you cheer on your team tonight.

+1 for you

:)

• Upvote 1

Really? Really? Of all the great reasons to choose to go to the University of North Dakota, you would not attend UND if its athletic teams were called the North Dakota Roughriders, but you would attend if the teams were called the North Dakota Roughnecks? As much as I personally dislike Roughnecks as a nickname for the athletic teams, it would not stop me from choosing UND. To pass on the opportunities that can come as a result of having the University of North Dakota on your resume because of a nickname just seems short-sighted.

not to mention gophers!

Really? Really? Of all the great reasons to choose to go to the University of North Dakota, you would not attend UND if its athletic teams were called the North Dakota Roughriders, but you would attend if the teams were called the North Dakota Roughnecks? As much as I personally dislike Roughnecks as a nickname for the athletic teams, it would not stop me from choosing UND. To pass on the opportunities that can come as a result of having the University of North Dakota on your resume because of a nickname just seems short-sighted.

not to mention gophers!

Well, we were called the Flickertails at one point... :(

"Roughriders" is as bad, if not worse, than Calvary. Someone inform the tribal leaders that if they wish to avoid "cowboys and Indians" references and move into the 21st century, then don't go with Roughriders.

Sheesh. Do we really need to go through this? I just can't take it anymore.