SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Roughriders?

RD17

Your post must have alerted the "no nickname" crowd.  There was over 1,000 votes cast overnight with the majority of them going for "no nickname" to get it back in the lead by a few percentage point.

Couple keyboard warriors stayed up all night hitting the submit button over and over again.....

Most people outside the area that aren't familiar with north Dakotas highest award, or north Dakotas fantasy connection to teddy Roosevelt's Roughriders, (which would be pretty much everyone outside the area), will think of condoms when hearing the name.

This is the stage of the process where the consultants earn their keep. But, the committee has disappointed thus far, so they will probably choose to ignore the experts' advice on Roughriders.

If it's chosen, maybe Spring Fest could be replaced with Ribbed Fest.

What are you? A sailor? Who uses condoms?............Austin Powers

What I find odd, is that when you read the Facebook tag, the comments are overwhelmingly in support of remaining ND as a name and there was not many comments regarding Rough Riders.  Which makes me think someone on the Rough Riders bandwagon (someone from this forum) is the keyboard warrior or warriors.  I'm not saying the big swing from last night wasn't some no nickname keyboard warrior though because that was a pretty big swing overnight.

Most people outside the area that aren't familiar with north Dakotas highest award, or north Dakotas fantasy connection to teddy Roosevelt's Roughriders, (which would be pretty much everyone outside the area), will think of condoms when hearing the name.

This is the stage of the process where the consultants earn their keep. But, the committee has disappointed thus far, so they will probably choose to ignore the experts' advice on Roughriders.

If it's chosen, maybe Spring Fest could be replaced with Ribbed Fest.

Someone better call the Trojans at USC and fill them in on this.  They might want to change their name quickly so they do not get continually laughed at.

• Upvote 1

That's the benefit of Roughriders some just don't get. It's the same benefit USC gets. 

Sure, Trojans, proud group from history for the more staid crowd, and a bit of racy* undercurrent for the younger generation. 

Roughriders is the same thing. 

*I say "racy". I still laugh that the consultant used the term "dirty". What is this, 1950? 

What I find odd, is that when you read the Facebook tag, the comments are overwhelmingly in support of remaining ND as a name and there was not many comments regarding Rough Riders.  Which makes me think someone on the Rough Riders bandwagon (someone from this forum) is the keyboard warrior or warriors.  I'm not saying the big swing from last night wasn't some no nickname keyboard warrior though because that was a pretty big swing overnight.

Anything that doesn't limit the number of times you can click and vote is just a "who has more keyboard time to waste" contest. Not useful. 

Sites that you have to log into and vote are slightly better (like this) but have failings in either (a) allowing more than one selection in a pick one situation, or (b) still being a self-selected survey base (you logged in to vote). 

Have you seen what happens to anyone who supports anything besides "no nickname" or somehow magically bringing back Fighting Sioux on any of those threads on Facebook?  Going against the grain there is pointless, the comments overall are the most uneducated takes I've read on the situation, absolutely laughable.  Facts being optional would be an improvement.  And I guarantee you'd be lucky to find 2% of those people on any donation or season ticket list, you know, people having actual skin in the game.

Wow completely opposite in relation to this site ;)  In regards to the Rough Riders nickname.

The unfortunate part of this is the large majority of people now wanting to move on were those fighting to keep Fighting Sioux when there was still a chance but are now labeled as not caring about history, tradition, etc. and it couldn't be further from the truth.  

If you weren't writing to Kupchella and Harmeson, your Congressional representatives, and Walter Harrison, Myles Brand, and the NCAA, back in August 2005, you were never in the game. 

If you don't know why August 2005, you didn't even know there was a game. 

• Upvote 2

Here you have people explaining why they think choosing "no nickname" is a terrible, short-sighted decision and could actually tell you why UND is where they are.  Seems to be more logical than people who don't appear listed on the Champions Club list threatening to rethink their season tickets or the guy who said he'll go back to rooting for Minnesota or just bring back Fighting Sioux, nothing will happen, etc, etc, etc.  Typing Fighting Sioux Forever isn't going to bring back the old nickname and logo, but that message apparently hasn't been spread on the internet yet.

The unfortunate part of this is the large majority of people now wanting to move on were those fighting to keep Fighting Sioux when there was still a chance but are now labeled as not caring about history, tradition, etc. and it couldn't be further from the truth.  People have a hard time differentiating between that and realizing that most of those people looking out for what is best for the University of North Dakota, its athletic department and student athletes.

I hope you're not lumping me in that group who thinks the nickname will come back or that I'll quit cheering for UND?  By reposting things sometimes others assume things.  

I simply am not found of using the Roughriders nickname. :)

• Upvote 1

I hope you're not lumping me in that group who thinks the nickname will come back or that I'll quit cheering for UND?  By reposting things sometimes others assume things.  

I simply am not found of using the Roughriders nickname. :)

Nope, sorry if it came off that way.  Unless of course one of the comments I used was yours, otherwise you're safe :)

However, the two opinions you just used seem to me to be the most extreme but also seem to appear the most often.

Nope, sorry if it came off that way.  Unless of course one of the comments I used was yours, otherwise you're safe :)

However, the two opinions you just used seem to me to be the most extreme but also seem to appear the most often.

Ha, ok.

Nope not me, I am fully aware the old nickname is gone and I will never stop cheering for UND.  I simply am not a fan of the rough rider nickname...but will jump on the bandwagon if and when it is selected.

So, when you hear about Weston Dressler and Greg Hardin playing for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, you think of condoms? That would invoke the same thought process, I guess. Not for me.

I said people out of the region unfamiliar with the southwestern U.S. Cowboys who fought in Cuba.

But, the committee has disappointed thus far, so they will probably choose to ignore the experts' advice on Roughriders.

If it's chosen,

maybe Spring Fest could be replaced with Ribbed Fest.

Ahhh......from what I remember, it basically is that anyway...... :)(:

There should be a quiz to be able to vote on UND's nickname.

You'd have to be able to explain why and how we got here to pass the quiz and vote. 

I like your thinking, but I fear that it is all too likely that the answers will quickly be spread on the internet, resulting in this approach becoming completely undermined as well.