SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Roughriders?

RD17

Dredging up an old thread, but check out list one or list two of state nicknames and you will find:

Razorback State (Arkansas)

The Bear State (California)

Buffalo Plains State (Colorado)

Blue Hen State (Delaware)

Alligator State (Florida)

Hoosier State (Indiana)

Hawkeye State (Iowa)

Jayhawk State (Kansas)

Terrapin State (Maryland)

Wolverine State (Michigan)

Cornhusker State (Nebraska)

Tar Heel State (North Carolina)

Buckeye State (Ohio)

Sooner State (Oklahoma)

Coyote State (South Dakota)

Volunteer State (Tennessee)

Mountain State (West Virginia)

Badger State (Wisconsin)

Cowboy State (Wyoming)

The flagship university in every one of those states has a nickname synonymous with (one of) its state nicknames. Since North Dakota's are Flickertail State (been there, done that ;) ), Sioux State :sad: , Peace Garden State (can't think of a way to incorporate this), or Roughrider State, it only makes sense that we would pick Roughriders as UND's next nickname. It sounds good, has great logo possibilities, would be unique among colleges and universities in the U.S., and to top it off, is one of North Dakota's state nicknames which keeps with tradition at UND and around the country.

I know that many would view Red River HS having the same nickname as a drawback but there will be drawbacks no matter what nickname is chosen. As I've seen The Sicatoka mention many times on this board, we need to control what we can and voice our opinion on a new nickname soon or have something lame thrust upon us. Thoughts on Roughriders?

• Upvote 3

Dredging up an old thread, but check out list one or list two of state nicknames and you will find:

Hoosier State (Indiana)

Hawkeye State (Iowa)

Jayhawk State (Kansas)

Buckeye State (Ohio)

Sooner State (Oklahoma)

Badger State (Wisconsin)

Cowboy State (Wyoming)

The flagship university in every one of those states has a nickname synonymous with (one of) its state nicknames. Since North Dakota's are Flickertail State (been there, done that ;) ), Sioux State :sad: , Peace Garden State (can't think of a way to incorporate this), or Roughrider State, it only makes sense that we would pick Roughriders as UND's next nickname. It sounds good, has great logo possibilities, would be unique among colleges and universities in the U.S., and to top it off, is one of North Dakota's state nicknames which keeps with tradition at UND and around the country.

I know that many would view Red River HS having the same nickname as a drawback but there will be drawbacks no matter what nickname is chosen. As I've seen The Sicatoka mention many times on this board, we need to control what we can and voice our opinion on a new nickname soon or have something lame thrust upon us. Thoughts on Roughriders?

It seems to me that the smart money should be on Roughriders as the most likely choice.

• Upvote 1

Hoosier State (Indiana)

Hawkeye State (Iowa)

Jayhawk State (Kansas)

Buckeye State (Ohio)

Sooner State (Oklahoma)

Badger State (Wisconsin)

Cowboy State (Wyoming)

Are you trying to copy me? ;)

I proposed it back before this thread was established and might be the first to recommend it, but it gets lost in the shuffle.

Its by FAR the best nickname. Doesn't have any drawbacks and its probably a name most people would like to see. Sioux fans should be upset that this isn't going to be the nickname cause they will see it as a cowboys vs indians thing.

My link

The state of Minnesota nickname is The Gopher State.

The state of Nebraskas nickname is the Cornhusker State.

The state of Wisconsins nickname is the Badger State.

The state of Michigans nicknames are The Wolverine State, The Great Lakes State.

The state of Iowas nicknames are The Hawkeye State, The Tall Corn State.

The state of North Dakotas nicknames are Peace Garden State, Roughrider State, Flickertail State

I see a trend that I would like to see continue.

• Upvote 2

I proposed it back before this thread was established and might be the first to recommend it, but it gets lost in the shuffle.

Its by FAR the best nickname. Doesn't have any drawbacks and its probably a name most people would like to see. Sioux fans should be upset that this isn't going to be the nickname cause they will see it as a cowboys vs indians thing.

My link

From a marketing standpoint and as a symbol to represent the entire state, Roughriders is a slam dunk. It's unique and fierce and has special meaning to ND heritage. The only team of any signficance that calls itself Roughriders is a CFL team in Saskatchewan - so for the US audience that's hardly a problem. In Canada, we'd be looked at as the Roughriders of hockey - again not a problem. A logo design could be done by Bennett Brien, out of respect for the work he did for the Sioux logo. He likely could incorporate many of the same meanings into the new logo.

Some of the people that you would think that would object - anti-Sioux nickname activists like David Gipp and Phil Jackson - have come out in favor of the Roughriders, so I doubt that the "Cowboy vs Indian" thing will hold much water. That those type people support "Roughriders" probably hurts it among pro-Sioux namers.

For the people that object because of RRHS's name, the logo and colors would be entirely different: kelley green vs red. Roughriders also goes with the mystique we'd like to create with the Big Sky and nationally: none of them know or care that RRHS has the same nickname any more than we care about that Solen or Westhope HS having the Sioux nickname.

• Upvote 2

My link

Sorry to steal your thunder. I only went back three years digging up old posts, not four. :D

Actually, there should be no PC problems with this name. If you go back to the first post of this thread, apparently Ron His Horse is Thunder even suggested that UND use Roughriders! And facts like this should give the diversity and inclusiveness crowd plenty of warm fuzzies:

The Rough Riders, as the regiment was soon known, comprised 1,250 men, including cowboys, Native Americans and eastern college athletes.

Cowboys and Indians working together in the 19th century? That's what I call inclusiveness and diversity!

• Upvote 1

From a marketing standpoint and as a symbol to represent the entire state, Roughriders is a slam dunk. It's unique and fierce and has special meaning to ND heritage. The only team of any signficance that calls itself Roughriders is a CFL team in Saskatchewan - so for the US audience that's hardly a problem. In Canada, we'd be looked at as the Roughriders of hockey - again not a problem. A logo design could be done by Bennett Brien, out of respect for the work he did for the Sioux logo. He likely could incorporate many of the same meanings into the new logo.

Some of the people that you would think that would object - anti-Sioux nickname activists like David Gipp and Phil Jackson - have come out in favor of the Roughriders, so I doubt that the "Cowboy vs Indian" thing will hold much water. That those type people support "Roughriders" probably hurts it among pro-Sioux namers.

For the people that object because of RRHS's name, the logo and colors would be entirely different: kelley green vs red. Roughriders also goes with the mystique we'd like to create with the Big Sky and nationally: none of them know or care that RRHS has the same nickname any more than we care about that Solen or Westhope HS having the Sioux nickname.

Yep... plus Roughriders especially has great significance in the western part of the state, which is an area that is booming and will be a UND stronghold as we become entrenched in the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

When one speaks of the norse the first thing I think of is thor the god of thunder, so my proposition for a logo for nordics would be thor's hammer. This would be a good example.

Thor__s_Hammer_2_by_gnomage.jpg

I'll keep throwing them out there. How about Nordics.

I don't know what we could use as the logo, though. I kind of like Nordiques, but don't think UND should have the same name as an NHL team.

Agree with your post...excellent. Roughriders is and has always been my 1st choice for a new nickname. Plus it's the antithesis of anything NA. And personally I want to get as far removed from anything that has NA connotations, history, ect... from here on out. And I don't want some lame animal or color nickname.

Agree with your post...excellent. Roughriders is and has always been my 1st choice for a new nickname. Plus it's the antithesis of anything NA. And personally I want to get as far removed from anything that has NA connotations, history, ect... from here on out. And I don't want some lame animal or color nickname.

Color + Animal name do anything for you? Something like Purple Cows? Oh wait, Mankato has that one already...

• Upvote 1

Very well thought-out post. I agree.

• Upvote 1

I like it and support the change to Roughriders. However, consider that in Florida, high schools are being required to drop their nicknames i.e. Seminoles by the insistence of universities that preceded their use of the name. In some cases this will cost the HS over $100,000 to change their logos, stationery, etc. In ND this could also be the case in reverse. If it costs UND that much to buy out Red River I think it is worth it, but many folks may not. Also, it may not be as big an issue, but it is something to be aware of.

Roughriders would be a great name - a tie to the state, unique among colleges, etc. There would be no need to "buy out" Red River High" as nobody owns any particular rights to the name, and I doubt they'd be anything but flattered that UND agreed their name was great.

• Upvote 1

Roughriders would be a great name - a tie to the state, unique among colleges, etc. There would be no need to "buy out" Red River High" as nobody owns any particular rights to the name, and I doubt they'd be anything but flattered that UND agreed their name was great.

I'm not so sure that Red River would appreciate UND stealing their nickname. Would UND fans like it if an NHL team moved into Grand Forks and called themselves the Fighting Sioux? Some would, especially now that UND is going to stop using it, but a lot would hate a more visible team taking on the school identity.

Well by the same logic when applied to the "Fighting Sioux" nickname, various Tribal elders and the Tribal Chairman of SR didn't object to the nickname in 1969 and so we "should" have been safe, right? If we adopt "Roughriders" and use the approval of David Gipp, RHHIT and Phil Jackson's approval as some sense of security that there will be no problems with it in the future, we are ignoring what has happened already. Who are the next nut jobs a la David Gipp, RRHIT and Phil Jackson (this guy is a genuine freak show and I don't care what kind of success he's had in the NBA with all of that talent and I don't care that he grew up in Williston) going to be? Will the next generation of nut jobs remember the "approval" of David Gipp, RRHIT and Phil Jackson? These troglodytes do not even respect a sacred ceremony fully in line with Tribal traditions concerning the approval of the Sioux nickname. Does anyone think that the next generation of troglodytes is going to care what David Gipp, RRHIT and Phil Jackson thought about the "Roughriders" nickname? How long does anyone think it would take for the next batch to lay unsubstantiated anecdotal claims of that nickname being "hostile and abusive" and how long does anyone think it would take for the next batch to lay claims of Roughriders having fought and killed NA's in the early 20th Century, etc.? The Roughriders did actually do that. It would be about 15 years until the whole "Cowboy vs. Indian" thing would be so viewed. If "Roughriders" who fought and killed NA's in Western ND is ok, what's wrong with "Fighting Cavalry"? I like the latter one better. Hell, that should not even be perceived as "hostile and abusive" since the Cavalry got it's butt kicked at the Little Big Horn.

Well by the same logic when applied to the "Fighting Sioux" nickname, various Tribal elders and the Tribal Chairman of SR didn't object to the nickname in 1969 and so we "should" have been safe, right. If we adopt "Roughriders" and use the approval of David Gipp, RHHIT and Phil Jackson's approval as some sense of security that there will be no problems with it in the future, we are ignoring what has happened already. Who are the next nut jobs a la David Gipp, RRHIT and Phil Jackson (this guy is a genuine freak show and I don't care what kind of success he's had in the NBA with all of that talent and I don't care that he grew up in Williston) going to be? Will the next generation of nut jobs remember the "approval" of David Gipp, RRHIT and Phil Jackson? These troglodytes do not even respect a sacred ceremony fully in line with Tribal traditions concerning the approval of the Sioux nickname. Does anyone think that the next generation of troglodytes is going to care what David Gipp, RRHIT and Phil Jackson thought about the "Roughriders" nickname? How long does anyone think it would take for the next batch to lay unsubstantiated anecdotal claims of that nickname being "hostile and abusive" and how long does anyone think it would take for the next batch to lay claims of Roughriders having fought and killed NA's in the early 20th Century, etc.? The Roughriders did actually do that. It would be about 15 years until the whole "Cowboy vs. Indian" thing would be so viewed. If "Roughriders" who fought and killed NA's in Western ND is ok, what's wrong with "Fighting Cavalry"? I like the latter one better. Hell, that should not even be perceived as "hostile and abusive" since the Cavalry got it's butt kicked at the Little Big Horn.

The 7th got destroyed that day, but the Cavalry and the US Army were plenty hostile and abusive for many years. That's why I think Cavalry would cause a lot of friction for many people and some would claim it was an effort at payback for losing the Fighting Sioux nickname.

I'm not so sure that Red River would appreciate UND stealing their nickname. Would UND fans like it if an NHL team moved into Grand Forks and called themselves the Fighting Sioux? Some would, especially now that UND is going to stop using it, but a lot would hate a more visible team taking on the school identity.

If some minor league team (indoor football or hockey) started a team in Grand Forks and adopted the Sioux nickname, their popularity would go through the roof.

There's a number of HS's in college towns that have the same nickname: Cyclones in Ames.

For people that live in Grand Forks, maybe Roughriders is a big deal- if the rest of the world would become confused. For those of us from the outside - even if we were raised in GF - it's almost kind of a joke that it is an issue.