SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

On 11/10/2022 at 9:05 PM, tnt said:

That’s why BU is always beating out Duluth and Mankato.  Oh, wait…

No, BU isn’t going to benefit much. I’m talking about the big money schools. Duluth and Mankato are outliers. Watch Penn State and Arizona State start to dominate. The biggest winners are the obvious, Michigan and Minnesota. 

13 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Important to remember that NIL has only been around since July 1, 2021 though.

11 hours ago, tnt said:

But can you do better than all the first round draft picks BU has had in their lineup? 

The conversation was about NIL …

But yeah, to answer your question and to bring the conversation full circle back to where it started with Aiden Park and Michigan, last year’s Michigan team had the NCAA record for first round draft picks, not any BU team. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think NIL is near as big of factor in college hockey recruiting as a lot of people think. The NIL focus is going to football and basketball primarily from boosters. At a place like Minnesota it finds it way to some hockey but I know Minnesota's NIL is still kind of getting its feet wet and not real solid yet. The top guys that are hyped coming in like a Cooley, Eichel, or thinking back to a guy like Toews or Kessel are probably getting NIL deals from hockey companies no matter where they go. If you think boosters at Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Arizona State, etc. are focused on getting their money to hockey recruits you'd be disappointed to find out where hockey is on their priority list.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

I don't think NIL is near as big of factor in college hockey recruiting as a lot of people think. The NIL focus is going to football and basketball primarily from boosters. At a place like Minnesota it finds it way to some hockey but I know Minnesota's NIL is still kind of getting its feet wet and not real solid yet. The top guys that are hyped coming in like a Cooley, Eichel, or thinking back to a guy like Toews or Kessel are probably getting NIL deals from hockey companies no matter where they go. If you think boosters at Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Arizona State, etc. are focused on getting their money to hockey recruits you'd be disappointed to find out where hockey is on their priority list.

What do you mean “Minnesota’s NIL”?  My understanding is that NILs need to be independent (at least financially) from the school. This is why most people are concerned that NIL will serve to benefit the Big 10/larger schools the most because they pump out 50k grads a year. 

That is why Michigan already has NIL programs like:

-the licensing and apparel agreement with the Brandr Group

-the Victors Exchange program that matches businesses with student athletes

-the champions collective, see above

-Wolverine+, the sports subscription program that pays players.

Hell, every Florida Atlantic female athlete is getting paid by the Florida Panthers. 

So the idea is not that FAU, Michigan, Minnesota, or even North Dakota would be paying their players.  Instead, we need someone with the initiative to set up an exchange where:

-Jeff Tellman pays Gaber to send out tweets every Friday night to promote Grinders after the Game

-Wes Rydell pays Kleven to star in a commercial promoting Rydell Chevrolet

-[current siouxsports.com user/business owner] pays [that recruit they’re really hoping UND gets] to promote their business.

Like the folks at Michigan, can anyone tell me what UND is trying to do to get ahead of the game in NIL?

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 10:03 AM, Benny Baker said:

Important to remember that NIL has only been around since July 1, 2021 though.

I think this is worth repeating.

For anyone not concerned about NIL, I fear that is the same mentality UND had when it neglected to transition to DI when a few other Dakota schools did.

Keep up with the joneses or expect to fall behind …

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

What do you mean “Minnesota’s NIL”?  My understanding is that NILs need to be independent (at least financially) from the school. This is why most people are concerned that NIL will serve to benefit the Big 10/larger schools the most because they pump out 50k grads a year. 

That is why Michigan already has NIL programs like:

-the licensing and apparel agreement with the Brandr Group

-the Victors Exchange program that matches businesses with student athletes

-the champions collective, see above

-Wolverine+, the sports subscription program that pays players.

Hell, every Florida Atlantic female athlete is getting paid by the Florida Panthers. 

So the idea is not that FAU, Michigan, Minnesota, or even North Dakota would be paying their players.  Instead, we need someone with the initiative to set up an exchange where:

-Jeff Tellman pays Gaber to send out tweets every Friday night to promote Grinders after the Game

-Wes Rydell pays Kleven to star in a commercial promoting Rydell Chevrolet

-[current siouxsports.com user/business owner] pays [that recruit they’re really hoping UND gets] to promote their business.

Like the folks at Michigan, can anyone tell me what UND is trying to do to get ahead of the game in NIL?

When I say Minnesota's NIL I'm talking about the collective that a group started there. It isn't directly with the school no. Minnesota's is called Dinkytown Athletes and I think they have another but I can't remember the name. 

Just now, SiouxScore said:

When I say Minnesota's NIL I'm talking about the collective that a group started there. It isn't directly with the school no. Minnesota's is called Dinkytown Athletes and I think they have another but I can't remember the name. 

Gotcha. Sounds like Minnesota has several NILs started then.

Can anyone name one of UND’s?

10 minutes ago, KCSioux said:

I know for a fact 6 figure NIL deals were in play for college baseball players to portal to SEC schools last summer. If that is happening in that niche sport I’m sure it is going on or will start to happen for hockey. 

You are correct on the college baseball getting guys getting good $$$$ in the SEC especially at a place like LSU. However college baseball is not a niche sport in the south, in fact most of the SEC programs specifically can make money off college baseball. They are putting big money into their stadiums, facilities, and players and the fans show up down there.

1 minute ago, Benny Baker said:

Gotcha. Sounds like Minnesota has several NILs started then.

Can anyone name one of UND’s?

Minnesota has 2 collectives. I know with the dinkytownathletes one it was just taking the initiative and getting it started. It isn't a group that has a lot of big money donors or anything they just sell memberships that people can pay monthly and will sometimes raffle off tickets or they will get a message from athletes and stuff like that as part of the membership. They just have it so members can pay at different levels per month.

Seems like something UND could do the biggest thing is just getting someone to take the initiative and organize it.

https://dinkytownathletes.com/about/

https://www.twincitiesnilclub.com/

31 minutes ago, KCSioux said:

I know for a fact 6 figure NIL deals were in play for college baseball players to portal to SEC schools last summer. If that is happening in that niche sport I’m sure it is going on or will start to happen for hockey. 

Right. That’s where I fear NIL + transfer portal could screw UND. What’s to stop the exponentially larger Michigan grad/booster population from paying a Kawaguchi/Gaber/4-year type player $500k for “appearances” through an NIL contract to transfer to Michigan their last year(s) of college …

And yeah, $500k is the logical extreme, but Minnesota’s highest paid athlete in 2021 was a wrestler who made his through an appearance.  Each scholarship Texas Longhorn lineman gets $50k a year for appearances. So I see where this is headed.

It’s almost as if UND could leverage an Engelstad-type relationship to further it’s NIL prospects, but who knows.

I was thinking a cool million....   but that is when I was holding lottery tickets with potential 2 billion pay out....  I like the idea of players marketing themselves in conjunction with businesses.  Much business savvy and experience to be gained.  But I worry how sports would be affected if say i put it out there, any blue chippas get 1 million cash each year they play here...  with a bigger payout for the persons that do all 4/5 years....  Fun to dream about having FU money...  even more fun to dream about F Y'all money.

As far as UND hockey players and NIL I know a few players(Kleven, Frisch, Caufield) were able to have Hockey Camps using their names last summer which they did not used to be able to do and a few of their teammates helped work them. I know Kleven is doing the RinK Live bit this year. 

Anyone know of any others?

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

Right. That’s where I fear NIL + transfer portal could screw UND. What’s to stop the exponentially larger Michigan grad/booster population from paying a Kawaguchi/Gaber/4-year type player $500k for “appearances” through an NIL contract to transfer to Michigan their last year(s) of college …

And yeah, $500k is the logical extreme, but Minnesota’s highest paid athlete in 2021 was a wrestler who made his through an appearance.  Each scholarship Texas Longhorn lineman gets $50k a year for appearances. So I see where this is headed.

It’s almost as if UND could leverage an Engelstad-type relationship to further it’s NIL prospects, but who knows.

Minnesota's highest paid was Gable Steveson who had multiple NIL deals after winning an Olympic gold medal. He had a contract with WWE and has made appearances there, I'd imagine that was a big chunk of his money.

Here's a Minnesota native playing wbb at UConn. The experts predict she'll eventually hit $1,000,000 in her NIL endorsement deals. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/paige-bueckers-nil-deals-gatorade-stockx-uconn/lyhcowgnut3r28f9effqxrqt

And her deals are almost exclusively with entities, not a school-related NIL

18 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

The conversation was about NIL …

But yeah, to answer your question and to bring the conversation full circle back to where it started with Aiden Park and Michigan, last year’s Michigan team had the NCAA record for first round draft picks, not any BU team. 

My point was that if you are already getting top draft picks and not succeeding, NIL isn’t going to magically make you a better team, because college hockey has shown  that upperclassmen are a big part of the equation for success. 

15 minutes ago, tnt said:

My point was that if you are already getting top draft picks and not succeeding, NIL isn’t going to magically make you a better team, because college hockey has shown  that upperclassmen are a big part of the equation for success. 

Sometimes u need to take your lumps and develop the players u recruit. Living through their mistakes early on than reaping the benefits in the end. Minn head coach said in his interview a few weeks ago that he has a lot of freshman this year but once they get past making their freshman mistakes they will be set for a really good team down the road.  

9 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

I don't think NIL is near as big of factor in college hockey recruiting as a lot of people think. 

This is absolutely wrong. It is a very big deal.

8 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

What do you mean “Minnesota’s NIL”?  My understanding is that NILs need to be independent (at least financially) from the school.

The school cannot be involved in the NIL... however they are "not involved" in the same way CHL teams aren't allowed to pay players to bolt from college... or that Shaq wasn't cashing checks.

7 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

But bu bu but I thought everyone on here hated The Engelstads and that she's literally the devil.... or is that just the footyball forumn?

Another thing to remember that is a factor if this NIL stuff is competative marketing dollars.

i.e.  A company has so much of a marketing budget... who are the players competing with for those marketing dollars.... UND.... REA....

In small markets.... this is a big deal.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/hagens-and-eiserman-dazzle-as-unbeaten-usa-powers-to-world-u-17-gold

US team crushes the U17 Hockey Challenge, winning gold.
UMN recruit Eiserman and uncommitted James Hagens both dominate:

Eiserman's 12 goals in seven games tied a longstanding U-17 record, set by Alex Ovechkin in 2001. Both Eiserman and his linemate James Hagens, who averaged three points a game and finished with a tournament-leading 21 points, also eclipsed the previous overall scoring record of 18 points, set in 2014 by Colin White.

You'd like to think that Berry and Co are in on Hagens, but judging how other commitments have gone recently, he'll probably end up at UMN, UM, or BC/BU.

12 minutes ago, brianvf said:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/hagens-and-eiserman-dazzle-as-unbeaten-usa-powers-to-world-u-17-gold

US team crushes the U17 Hockey Challenge, winning gold.
UMN recruit Eiserman and uncommitted James Hagens both dominate:

You'd like to think that Berry and Co are in on Hagens, but judging how other commitments have gone recently, he'll probably end up at UMN, UM, or BC/BU.

I’m betting Harvard.