SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

On 11/12/2022 at 4:16 PM, mikejm said:

Here's a Minnesota native playing wbb at UConn. The experts predict she'll eventually hit $1,000,000 in her NIL endorsement deals. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/paige-bueckers-nil-deals-gatorade-stockx-uconn/lyhcowgnut3r28f9effqxrqt

And her deals are almost exclusively with entities, not a school-related NIL

She's arguably the biggest atr in the apirt so $1 million isn't a huge surprise. 

Female athletes will likely be the biggest individual NIL winners because the money is there in the fashion and cosmetics industry. However factors other that performance will come Into play (think Anna Kournikova) and that could have some interesting dynamics within teams. 

I think you'll soon see additional legislation putting limits on how much athlete-students earn, especially when the tax bills hit and you see a spate of bankruptcies. 

The pendulum will swing back somehow. 

On 11/12/2022 at 4:16 PM, mikejm said:

Here's a Minnesota native playing wbb at UConn. The experts predict she'll eventually hit $1,000,000 in her NIL endorsement deals. 

Piker.

I'll see your $1M and raise you $1M. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11419121/Paige-Spiranac-sick-criticism-LSU-gymnast-Olivia-Dunne-slams-belittling-women.html 

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Hopefully mac Swanson is someone we’re watching 

We beat his dad’s CC team in the semi finals in our 1997 title run with Jason Blake as a key player. Would be nice if Jackson Blake would team up with Mac Swanson down the road for another NCAA title. 

13 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I think you'll soon see additional legislation putting limits on how much athlete-students earn, especially when the tax bills hit and you see a spate of bankruptcies. 

The pendulum will swing back somehow. 

Additional legislation? What legislation has put limits on NIL? It’s already been to the Supreme Court. 

The US Supreme Court in a 9-0 decision declared the NCAA’s rules were a form of price fixing and a violation of labor laws and said the NCAAs attempts to limit compensation would be illegal in any other industry. 

Judge Kavanaugh “Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. … The NCAA is not above the law.”

On 11/12/2022 at 10:24 AM, SiouxScore said:

I don't think NIL is near as big of factor in college hockey recruiting as a lot of people think. The NIL focus is going to football and basketball primarily from boosters. At a place like Minnesota it finds it way to some hockey but I know Minnesota's NIL is still kind of getting its feet wet and not real solid yet. The top guys that are hyped coming in like a Cooley, Eichel, or thinking back to a guy like Toews or Kessel are probably getting NIL deals from hockey companies no matter where they go. If you think boosters at Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Arizona State, etc. are focused on getting their money to hockey recruits you'd be disappointed to find out where hockey is on their priority list.

The focus may be largely on football but I’m not sure people understand the type of money these schools bring in. The athletic program at Ohio State took in $48,000,000 in donations in 2020—a Covid year. That’s separate from nil  

the point being, yes, nil is finding its way to hockey  

BUT, because the bigs focus on football etc, a hockey centric NIL at UND would be a blockbuster in college hockey. When someone with proven business acumen puts one together with a solid Board, the fans will fund it better than any other in college. That’s not saying every sport has its own opportunity  

this is an example: the Shottensteins own Value City Furniture. they’ve put this collective together for fans to fund

https://www.thefoundationohio.com/about/

18 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Can't get too excited he is only 16, a lot can change in the next few years.  If not he will fit in as a third line role player here like everyone else with a resume like his.

Hopefully we can hit on a few of the guys that are doing well in the USHL as younger players.  A couple years down the line could be decent if USHL success translates.  If Blake, McGlaughlin,James and Strinden are still around, guys like Perron, Boisvert and Swanson up front and Strathmann, Livanavage and McInnis on defense could give us a solid foundation to expand from.

32 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Can't get too excited he is only 16, a lot can change in the next few years.  If not he will fit in as a third line role player here like everyone else with a resume like his.

He’s not 16 playing high school hockey, you realize that right? He’s a PPG at 16 in the USHL. That is rare. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, AJS said:

He’s not 16 playing high school hockey, you realize that right? He’s a PPG at 16 in the USHL. That is rare. 

Reminds me of the hot start that Christian Cakebread had 9 years ago for the Force in his first month as a 16 year old. :whistling:

11 minutes ago, Tbone said:

Reminds me of the hot start that Christian Cakebread had 9 years ago for the Force in his first month as a 16 year old. :whistling:

Cakebread had 15 points for his entire first USHL season and Swanson currently has 17 points so he’d have to really bomb the rest of the season to reach that level of fail 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Tbone said:

Totally. Two goals in his first game and then virtually nothing to note after. At this time of the year Cakebread had 4 goals and 2 assists. Totally normal, not weird comparison.

8 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Cakebread had 15 points for his entire first USHL season and Swanson currently has 17 points so he’d have to really bomb the rest of the season to reach that level of fail 

Plus, just like you can see the similarities between Jason and Jackson Blake, I'm sure genes have probably played a part in Mac Swanson's abilities.  Not saying that guarantees anything because we have seen the opposite, but when you grow up with former Hobey Baker candidates it's a good place to start the learning process. Sometimes instincts are passed on. 

15 hours ago, AJS said:

Agreed, the ushl is about as good as it’s ever been right now. The league is absolutely nasty. Given the DNA and video game numbers he’s put up (all the way up)…this is as close to you get as a college hockey lock there is. Given his size I could see him slipping in the draft, but should be a nice college player.

16 hours ago, siouxweet said:

What? Well obviously but given some of the prospects we’ve missed, this is huge from my angle. He’s 16 a averaging over a pt/gm in the ushl. I saw the cakebread comparison, he basically had a hatty his first game and that was it.