SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

So we covered the cost of his tuition for a semester and got nothing out of it. If the coaches told him he wouldn't play that is one thing, but given our need to find safeties...what is the likelihood of that? 

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

So we covered the cost of his tuition for a semester and got nothing out of it. If the coaches told him he wouldn't play that is one thing, but given our need to find safeties...what is the likelihood of that? 

Not necessarily the coaches telling him, but writing could have been on the wall. I mean, playing time would be the only reason that would make sense in this case. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Article in the Herald hinted said he might have been pretty far down on the depth chart based on the reps he got in spring ball.  He then got hurt and missed the last part of camp.

Per Tom Miller's Article - 

"Based on when Martens' snaps came during the spring practices, though, it appeared he initially was in a deep group of safeties hoping to break into the two-deep....................

During spring ball, UND started Cole Davis and Ethan Ball at safety, with the next round of reps given to Sutton, Martin, Erkman and Martens."

Edited by Siouxperman8
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

NDSU's top returning receiver Eli Green just hit the portal.

Huge loss. Would have been one of the Top WR’s in FCS. Dominant in last years playoffs.

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Huge loss. Would have been one of the Top WR’s in FCS. Dominant in last years playoffs.

Generally agree.. Im more amazed that WR stay at NDSU than leave.. maybe Landry will change that offense but I doubt it.. A dominant o-line, solid rbs and running QBs.. why throw? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Portal closes today. Lost a couple big pieces during this window and a couple of pieces I wasn’t thinking would leave. 

Are you talking in general, or are there more on the horizon? 

40 minutes ago, AJS said:

Are you talking in general, or are there more on the horizon? 

Sorry if I was vague and made it seem like more were leaving. I’m just saying in general. My worry was losing the likes of Jerry, Bo and Trey. I didn’t think about the o-line but should have with the departure of Pawlak. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Sorry if I was vague and made it seem like more were leaving. I’m just saying in general. My worry was losing the likes of Jerry, Bo and Trey. I didn’t think about the o-line but should have with the departure of Pawlak. 

I could see worry about Bo but not the other 2 as they really haven't proven anything or taken many meaningful snaps.

12 minutes ago, NDRA said:

I could see worry about Bo but not the other 2 as they really haven't proven anything or taken many meaningful snaps.

You’re right, they haven’t proven anything, but I still didn’t want to lose either. 

3 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I don't know but Bo might like the new offense better than Danny's.  I missed the spring practices but from some reports it can be a faster offense.  Danny changed personnel damn near every down.  For a player like Bo.  Fast, shifty and quickness.  Oh and very smart might receive more targets, catches, yards and TD's.  This good news for UND.

12 minutes ago, shep said:

I’m having a hard time thinking Bo was under utilized. If he was it’s due to every D watching him.

He did get the ball plenty but always thought it was weird how often he got rotated out. He should be on the field almost every play IMO.

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

You’re right, they haven’t proven anything, but I still didn’t want to lose either. 

I understand that but, my question was more to the effect that why would another school wanna poach em if they haven't shown anything?

JMO because of the portal we see:

A small town North Dakota kid trade what would have been a legacy career of being a four starter at his Flagship University in his home state. Like Kleinsasser, a lifetime example of state pride for his hometown. Instead that legacy is lost and he will be a footnote at an out of state school.

I understand that money was probably involved. That money will be gone in a few years. I understand he has the chance at hitchhiking onto a national championship, tough to argue that. However, it is proven that if you have talent for the next level they will find you. 

Yes, they make their choice and do what they think is best for themselves at the time. No ill will here.

There are few opportunities to become legends in your home state. Those that are, are legends because they stayed.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1