SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

The word was he was an absolute steal when he signed. Worked out that way obviously.

There is a few of those on the roster…… wait nope they are all a bunch of d2 guys nothing to see here……

good thing we don’t have to worry about anyone stealing our linemen (because they want to be coached by Pawlak and have seen the results)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

There is a few of those on the roster…… wait nope they are all a bunch of d2 guys nothing to see here……

good thing we don’t have to worry about anyone stealing our linemen (because they want to be coached by Pawlak and have seen the results)

K, now do it for the defense.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

These types of generalization (in both directions) hide the fact that there needs to be some more talent on the team.  Clearly there are some talented individuals on the team.. clearly there have been some players that have developed into better players.. by the way clearly the defensive talent/scheme needs to improve and clearly there have been quite a few players that have not reached their potential.

In the last 5 years how many NFL players have come from UND? 1 who actually made a roster.. 

The upper end teams have many more then that over that time period and we should want that from our crew as well both from a recruitment and development standpoint.

The offers for Saywahn and Vines (DB's portal that have been offered) have really picked up over the past few days. A lot of other FCS schools. Really interested to see how those two play out. From a total package, I think UND is their best offer. 

Offensive linemen is a non-get in the transfer portal due to how high the demand is. Just look at Kilty- lost to FBS school. UND is locked in on development of their offense, specifically offensive line. They maybe could manage a D2 quarterback if they want to be aggressive, but my guess is they stick with current offensive players - including Feeney and Kaminski - unless maybe a receiver or running back becomes available. Still, OL and QB are most important offensive positions. 

As for defense, the defensive front, which includes DL and EDGE, are the most important positions on defense, and there are opportunities available in portal. Need to capitalize big-time on these positions or else 2024 is certainly a lame duck season. So far, no splashes yet to suggest ‘24 will be any different. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Offensive linemen is a non-get in the transfer portal due to how high the demand is. Just look at Kilty- lost to FBS school. UND is locked in on development of their offense, specifically offensive line. They maybe could manage a D2 quarterback if they want to be aggressive, but my guess is they stick with current offensive players - including Feeney and Kaminski - unless maybe a receiver or running back becomes available. Still, OL and QB are most important offensive positions. 

As for defense, the defensive front, which includes DL and EDGE, are the most important positions on defense, and there are opportunities available in portal. Need to capitalize big-time on these positions or else 2024 is certainly a lame duck season. So far, no splashes yet to suggest ‘24 will be any different. 

The quickest and potentially easiest path for defensive improvement is through the secondary.  Just more of those players out there than big body Dlinemen.  I would argue that is as competitive as oline in the portal at this point.  

need to hit JUCO or sell a D2 guy on opportunities up front. 

1 hour ago, homer said:

The quickest and potentially easiest path for defensive improvement is through the secondary.  Just more of those players out there than big body Dlinemen.  I would argue that is as competitive as oline in the portal at this point.  

Disagree on the secondary.

If they can’t get pressure on the quarterback, they will continue to cover like dogsh*t on 3rd and long. Too much time and receivers will eventually always get open. 

Football is won at the line of scrimmage, which includes EDGE rushers (that’s outside linebacker for the novices out there). Anyone who says different don’t know ball…

Now with all that said, I’m not sure this defensive staff is capable of getting out of their own way and recruiting / then developing the necessary type of players. This defense is 20 years old and too rigid. Players aren’t being put in good enough position. Defensive coaching staff is failing … but not just defense; the offense deserves their fair share of blame also considering they were shut out last season in critical game vs UNI. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Disagree on the secondary.

If they can’t get pressure on the quarterback, they will continue to cover like dogsh*t on 3rd and long. Too much time and receivers will eventually always get open. 

Football is won at the line of scrimmage, which includes EDGE rushes (that’s outside linebacker for the novices out there). Anyone who says different don’t know ball…

If you would read what I posted I was replying to what fixes would be available in the portal.  Big, fast dlinemen are going to be just as high in demand as OL.  Everyone wants them, even those who don’t know football.  Lol.  

Not likely to be immediate help there but let’s set a false reality on fixing through the portal.  

Just now, homer said:

If you would read what I posted I was replying to what fixes would be available in the portal.  Big, fast dlinemen are going to be just as high in demand as OL.  Everyone wants them, even those who don’t know football.  Lol.  

Not likely to be immediate help there but let’s set a false reality on fixing through the portal.  

They will need to get D2 players or JUCO players. I agree it’s a tough get. I read your post; I didn’t agree with “quickest and potentially easiest path for defensive improvement is through the secondary”.

This suggests the D will improve with secondary (defensive back) additions. I’ll tell you right now: the D won’t get any better if the defensive front doesn’t get better. You can add all the defensive backs you want.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Sorry if this is obvious but the past few years our inability to rush/hurry/sack the QB is directly related to our inabillty to stop third/fourth and long. As we all know everything starts with having better OL and DL - if we can't get em in the portal we gotta develop them. I would say OL is more solid than DL right now. 

Agreed. OL and DL (including EDGE) is critical and it all starts with development based on high demand around the country. 

UND can develop offensive linemen. They’ve proved it the last couple seasons. 

Of late, however, it looks like they can’t develop DL/edge. Hopefully Lance Rucker has a hell of an off-season in the weight room, and there’s surprises, otherwise I see overall team regression to under 6 wins and new coaching staff for 2025 hopefully. 

• Like 1

So with the current state of affairs you can make yourself a ton of money by being a really good FCS offensive lineman, or really any position for that matter.  You develop and play a lot for a few years in FCS and then you go full steam into an FBS school that can throw all sorts of money at you through different revenue streams and you ride off into the sunset from the school that put a lot of time into you.

I mean I'd leave too as an FCS player with 6 figure offers on the table for my playing ability.  Even if you don't get NIL money getting to the FBS only increases your chances of playing on an NFL field one day.  The Green and Gold group can pass a plate at the Fargo Dome and collect, but you're really just wasting your time with the money floating around P5 football right now.  If they want a player bad enough they'll get the player.    

5 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

There have been several guys on Bubba's squad over the years that could have made the jump to P5.  Not sure what your point is?

Was trying to make point to those who claim the coaches can’t recruit top players or prepare them for the next level.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, homer said:

Disagree, that spot would be OLB.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Totally agree UND needs to get help with DL/Edge/OLB more than any other positions. But if Fort actually does leave, that leaves Ball and Davis at the safety spots. UND will be in big trouble if those are the two options for next season.

I agree we need safety help. One name to keep an eye on is Tyler Erkman. Will be a redshirt freshman and UNDFootball360 had good things to say about him coming out of high school. 

9 minutes ago, Goose15 said:

I agree we need safety help. One name to keep an eye on is Tyler Erkman. Will be a redshirt freshman and UNDFootball360 had good things to say about him coming out of high school. 

We need him to splash this year so bad. Basically the entire secondary hinges on his development unless we hit on some portal guys.

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Good HS player. Doesn’t look like he played at Marshal.  Buried on depth chart. We already have 3 guys who were outstanding HS players, and Feeney has played well when given PT. If we can replace the OL guys so we can protect our QB and run the ball consistently, I think we are OK at QB and can score points. I’d be surprised if he would be more than a depth guy, but who knows. 

We have lots of holes to fill on defense. If we can play defense, we create offensive opportunities. I’m more concerned about OL and our defense than QB. 

Ohio high school football (where he went to high school) is quite competitive; a lot of good athletes / football players. 

Offensive line and defense (specifically the defensive front; defensive line and edge rusher/outside linebacker) are most pressing needs; I agree. 

First time starting QB incoming for 2024, none of us know what to expect from Feeney or Kaminski in 2024. All speculation at this point. Only way to protect from that (complacency) is to make sure competition is stacked at all positions, namely line of scrimmage players and quarterback. If this former Marshall QB can add to the competition, then I would see nothing wrong with adding him as another quality player to the roster. That goes for all prospective players in the portal that UND may be looking at.

• Upvote 1